Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 04:42 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,254,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Yep. Another big one paid the price today. I don't understand why they feel the need to kill the gator AFTER it has attacked or killed someone. He is just doing what is natural and if he already did it, killing him won't help the person.
maybe to protect the next victim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 10:29 AM

16,826 posts, read 15,031,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Exactly. It's the same as feeding gators hot dogs. It's going to want more In this case, it's human flesh. It ate some, obviously thinks it tastes good, it's going to start hunting for more.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:14 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,840,562 times
Quote:
Then why not kill them all?

If people have such an issue with them, then stop moving to where they live.

They could easily be relocated, if need be, rather than killed.

The only somewhat logical reason I can see for killing it, would be to open it up to see if part of the person is in its stomach.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:

The only somewhat logical reason I can see for killing it, would be to open it up to see if part of the person is in its stomach.
It has more to do with the fact that once an animal feasts on human flesh, it's going to return for more, thus putting more people in danger. Most gators will not go near humans and pose relatively no threat. Those who've tasted humans before, however, do.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:23 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,254,800 times
Quote:

If they pose a threat, human being safety trump gator safety.

Most of us are higher on the food chain.

Killing all gators in Florida makes no sense since they all do not pose a threat.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
If they pose a threat, human being safety trump gator safety.

Most of us are higher on the food chain.

Killing all gators in Florida makes no sense since they all do not pose a threat.
Regarding the one they just killed because he ate that guy, they had no idea how the guy died when they killed the gator. There were reports the guy was already dead and floating in the water, before the gator decided he would make a good meal. If people stay out of the water, there would be little danger from the gators. We have seen multiple stories of idiots swimming in fresh water ponds and then getting attacked by a gator. What the hell are these people doing, going into the water with gators? There are signs at every pond directing people to NOT swim with the gators. That is not the gators fault. Let the gator have a free lunch.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Regarding the one they just killed because he ate that guy, they had no idea how the guy died when they killed the gator. There were reports the guy was already dead and floating in the water, before the gator decided he would make a good meal. If people stay out of the water, there would be little danger from the gators. We have seen multiple stories of idiots swimming in fresh water ponds and then getting attacked by a gator. What the hell are these people doing, going into the water with gators? There are signs at every pond directing people to NOT swim with the gators. That is not the gators fault. Let the gator have a free lunch.
I don't think you get it. Regardless of why it happened, once a gator gets a taste of human meat, it's going to go LOOKING for it, meaning possibly roaming into your yard with one thing in mind: you for dinner.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I don't think you get it. Regardless of why it happened, once a gator gets a taste of human meat, it's going to go LOOKING for it, meaning possibly roaming into your yard with one thing in mind: you for dinner.
Then it would be time to relocate it to an area without this type of development. Still no need to kill it, unless one is trying to discover the contents of its stomach.

I am a tree hugging, animals rights person....so that is how I see it.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Then it would be time to relocate it to an area without this type of development. Still no need to kill it, unless one is trying to discover the contents of its stomach.

I am a tree hugging, animals rights person....so that is how I see it.
I get what you're saying. I'm somewhat of a tree higher as well, but I look at it from both sides.

Old 06-10-2016, 02:09 AM

222 posts, read 219,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Yeah, no.

Sorry but that's just a completely inaccurate and foolish statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: