Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 08:17 PM

176 posts, read 234,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
e
Yes, as I explained to you above, the fines are VERY steep and there are so many agencies patrolling the waters, you will get caught if you run aground. $100 a square foot. You can't really run into the reefs as they are submerged and you'll only draw a couple of feet. It is more about people accidently anchoring them as opposed to the bouys.

Stay inside the chanels, they are clearly marked.

Remember, when looking at the water color, "Brown, brown, run aground, Blue, blue, sail on through!"

If you have not boated in the keys, hire a captain to go out with you for an hour or so to learn the ropes.

Do you know how to read channel markers? Red, right return. Do not go outside the channels in the back country.

Do you boat where you live?

If you are a smart lake boater, you'll learn the ropes quickly but take a captain out with you first.
I've boated in L.A. for a few years on and off. I've taken my 22-ft sailboat to Catalina Island(25 miles out) but never boated in Lakes or back country.

I guess as long as I stay within the channel, go slow, have a lookout person watch for sea grass, shallow reef, I should be okay, right ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 08:50 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_water View Post
I've boated in L.A. for a few years on and off. I've taken my 22-ft sailboat to Catalina Island(25 miles out) but never boated in Lakes or back country.

I guess as long as I stay within the channel, go slow, have a lookout person watch for sea grass, shallow reef, I should be okay, right ?
Yes!

And you can run aground just a foot or two outside the channel so you really have to pay attention to the markers.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Yes!

And you can run aground just a foot or two outside the channel so you really have to pay attention to the markers.
I'm planning to rent from the pennekamp state park, spoke to their dockmaster who seems to be very helpful. He said the boat has no gps but has compass and a good map. Does it sound like a good plan? Oh, and I need to answer some questions before they'll rent me the boat.

I plan on just going out to the Christ statue and maybe another near by reef. He said it takes about 30 min. from the dock to that statue.

Have you or anyone done this route? any gotchas? thanks.

Oh and fingers crossed, if I ever ran aground, do I just slowly reverse to back out of it?

Old 06-16-2016, 05:32 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,633,582 times
Quote:
I'm planning to rent from the pennekamp state park, spoke to their dockmaster who seems to be very helpful. He said the boat has no gps but has compass and a good map. Does it sound like a good plan? Oh, and I need to answer some questions before they'll rent me the boat.

I plan on just going out to the Christ statue and maybe another near by reef. He said it takes about 30 min. from the dock to that statue.

Have you or anyone done this route? any gotchas? thanks.

Oh and fingers crossed, if I ever ran aground, do I just slowly reverse to back out of it?
Is there a reason why you are so adamant about renting a boat and all that nonsense instead of a simple (and probably cheaper) charter?

Old 06-16-2016, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Is there a reason why you are so adamant about renting a boat and all that nonsense instead of a simple (and probably cheaper) charter?
didn't think of the charter option, where do I begin? any info, links is welcomed.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:04 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,633,582 times
Quote:
didn't think of the charter option, where do I begin? any info, links is welcomed.
I have done great snorkel and dive trips right out of Pennekamp. Most provide snacks and water. Plus you don't have to do anything but show up and have a great time. You really want to deal with anchoring or tying up? Finding your way around with a map and no GPS in an area like that?

Snorkeling Tours | Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park

You can give them a call also. Wonderful people and super helpful. There is a little cove in Pennekamp that you can snorkel in, too, before or after the boat trip. Plus walk around and visit the visitors center, etc.

Highly recommend just using a charter vs. renting a boat if all you are trying to do is visit a couple local spots that the charters already handle. They also offer a "resort course" for scuba diving if you want to be more adventurous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida