Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 09:56 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,632,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitmeyer View Post
I think it's unfair to place all of the blame on the parents, or all of it on Disney. The beach was, in all fairness, a bit misleading in terms of its design. The water looked too inviting considering the threat of gators. Having said that, you can't absolve the parents of all responsibility either. Disney could have done a better job, and so could the parents.
I disagree. I don't think there is any blame on the parents at all. The parents could not have known of the risk. Disney is totally to blame. The beaches are designed to be used, the child wasn't swimming, and was just using the beach. More and more stories are coming out about Disney knowing of gators being aggressive with guests, Disney employees and guests feeding them, etc. Yet no warnings at all, nothing. I think there is a substantial amount of negligence on Disney's part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 09:56 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Well, it looks like the people who run Disney finally woke up and are finally taking steps to safeguard those people who throw money at them all day long, every day of the year. It's a horrible shame that it took the screams of a tortured two year old to rouse them from their greedy complacency.
Greedy? Disney entertains millions, and employs thousand - this is a single incident in 40+ yrs isn't it? A very freak accident, imo.......they're going to be found at fault, deservedly so, but lets not call them greedy for no reason.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:24 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
The signs say no swimming - they don't say "do not go in the water". I think a reasonable person would believe you can walk in 2 inches of water on the beach. There was just a post today in the news, a woman who took pictures of her child in 2 inches of water, same beach, 1 hour before the other child was snatched. It was a very innocent thing to do and nobody could expect to know better, even Floridians. I wouldn't have thought much of it, either.
I would want to know why not swim? Bad water or something else. People should think about the "Why" aspect not just say: "OK, I won't swim I will wade".

Old 06-20-2016, 11:43 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,632,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
I would want to know why not swim? Bad water or something else. People should think about the "Why" aspect not just say: "OK, I won't swim I will wade".
Boat traffic, no lifeguard on duty, not really great water, etc. I think you can come up with a lot of rather obvious reasons not to swim at the beach in Disney. Alligators snatching a child who is standing in an inch or two of water, in an area designated as a family hangout - with events and movies, I couldn't imagine a parent ever expecting that.

However, Disney certainly should have, based on all the information coming out.

Here is a picture of a little boy playing in the same spot only an hour before. This would be quite innocent to just about any parent. And note that this is just a few yards from the pool area and playgrounds.

Same beach. Setup for all their families to enjoy and use. Notice chairs just a few feet from the water.

And from satellite. Notice the childrens water slides, with no barrier to the sand. Pools, food, slides, chairs. This was a beach made to be used. A child was standing in a couple inches of water. You think Disney isn't to blame for this?

Old 06-20-2016, 01:14 PM

440 posts, read 517,343 times
Default No Shark Warning Signs at Florida Beaches Either

I was sad to read about the alligator incident at Walt Disney World where an alligator attacked a child but I don't believe anyone can really put all the blame on Walt Disney World for not posting alligator warning signs considering that Walt Disney World is situated in the State of Florida which has seen more people attacked at it's beaches by sharks than anywhere else in the world but the majority of the beaches on the waters surrounding Florida, whether they be at public or at a private resort, are pretty much devoid of any signs to warn those entering the water that sharks may be present.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:17 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
They have an ad with people walking in that very same water.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:57 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Just wait until the Burmese Pythons show up in those lagoons. Then it gets really fun.

Old 06-20-2016, 06:05 PM

17,156 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Just wait until the Burmese Pythons show up in those lagoons. Then it gets really fun.
CAUTION, Enter at your own risk:

Burmese Pythons
Alligators
Water Moccasins
Amoebas
Alligator snapping turtles
Possible Bull Sharks

Old 06-20-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
They have an ad with people walking in that very same water.
Then they will lose, assuming that AD was common and one most people would see.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Boat traffic, no lifeguard on duty, not really great water, etc. I think you can come up with a lot of rather obvious reasons not to swim at the beach in Disney. Alligators snatching a child who is standing in an inch or two of water, in an area designated as a family hangout - with events and movies, I couldn't imagine a parent ever expecting that.

However, Disney certainly should have, based on all the information coming out.

Here is a picture of a little boy playing in the same spot only an hour before. This would be quite innocent to just about any parent. And note that this is just a few yards from the pool area and playgrounds.

Same beach. Setup for all their families to enjoy and use. Notice chairs just a few feet from the water.

And from satellite. Notice the childrens water slides, with no barrier to the sand. Pools, food, slides, chairs. This was a beach made to be used. A child was standing in a couple inches of water. You think Disney isn't to blame for this?
I agree seeing this, that Disney was stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida