Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 03:44 PM

991 posts, read 628,777 times

Advertisements

Disney gator attack: 2-year-old boy found dead

I am feeling pretty low right now.

Quote:
The 2-year-old boy who witnesses said was pulled by an alligator into a lagoon near a Walt Disney World hotel has been found dead by the Orange County dive team, Sheriff Jerry Demings said at a Wednesday news conference.The body of the boy, Lane Graves, was found intact about 1:45 p.m., not far from where the boy was grabbed Tuesday night, Demings said.
He likely drowned, Demings said.
"Of course, the autopsy has to confirm that, but there is likely no question in my mind that the child was drowned by the alligator," Demings said.
Demings said the body was found in murky water perhaps 10 to 15 yards from where the boy was attacked.
Disney gator attack: 2-year-old Nebraska boy found dead - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 03:51 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Point is, there should be no access to water in Florida theme parks unless it is under strict supervision and control.
It's Florida. There are gators. Everywhere.
I was even a little weary about going to River Country back in the day.
Did staff drag the water every morning for gators?
Who knows.
I loved River Country btw.

Old 06-15-2016, 04:20 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Tough week for the Orange County Sheriff Demmings. Got to be the toughest in his life with the massacre and then this. He's definitely a great American in my book.

Old 06-15-2016, 04:35 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,958,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Point is, there should be no access to water in Florida theme parks unless it is under strict supervision and control.
It's Florida. There are gators. Everywhere.
I was even a little weary about going to River Country back in the day.
Did staff drag the water every morning for gators?
Who knows.
I loved River Country btw.
They shouldn't have to drag it when the signs clearly state no swimming. That means stay out of the friggin water it's not safe. Even your feet. Do we need to hold everyone's hand in this country? What part of no swimming is hard to understand. I mean I don't go to Africa think it's ok to pet a baby lion just cause I can't see the mom. I'm having a real hard time with pity lately over all this stupidity. Honestly. Just because they're the "happiest place on earth" doesn't mean they control everything down to the weather. Australia had a similar situation a few weeks back and the govt release a statement saying "you can't legislate stupidity... It was avoidable" .. I have to side with that statement on this situation

Oh and they need to stop calling them "beaches" as I've seen in some articles. There are two types of beaches in Florida. Gulf Beaches and Atlantic beaches. Anything else is a lake, lagoon,swamp, spring etc. Anything else harbors predators. I get they call every body of water up north a beach (confused the hell out of me in NH when they said meet at the beach and it was a lake) but this is also not helping. Lakes are not swimable down here , ever.

Old 06-15-2016, 05:29 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
I was referring to River Country when it was open.
Did they check for gators every morning before the park opened?
Do any of the water type parks check daily for gators before letting people in the water?

Old 06-15-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Oh and they need to stop calling them "beaches" as I've seen in some articles. There are two types of beaches in Florida. Gulf Beaches and Atlantic beaches. Anything else is a lake, lagoon,swamp, spring etc. Anything else harbors predators. I get they call every body of water up north a beach (confused the hell out of me in NH when they said meet at the beach and it was a lake) but this is also not helping. Lakes are not swimable down here , ever.
I was born and raised in Fort Lauderdale.

Had a rockpit behind our home that we use to swim in.

We all knew of the gator that lived there but we also knew that a gator wont usually attack an object (or person) that is larger than a small animal.

We use to dive into the water, even when the gator was lazing on the bank, right next to where we were swimming.

It would either ignore us or swim away.
(Lots of neighbors dogs went missing though)

Disney hires experts to come in and remove what gators may be in the waters.

Gators migrate all the time and it's nearly impossible to deter them.

I've seen gators climb chain link fences to get to a backyard pool.

Heck, though they prefer fresh water, we had a few on Lauderdale beach (salt water) years ago.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:42 PM

Old 06-16-2016, 04:03 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
I just picked up the hobby of kayaking, mostly in saltwater areas, but didn't need to see those pictures. Might put the kayak up on Craigslist now.

Old 06-16-2016, 04:21 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I just picked up the hobby of kayaking, mostly in saltwater areas, but didn't need to see those pictures. Might put the kayak up on Craigslist now.
Not sure if that's real and, if it is, where it was taken. The photo of the road sign with all the gators was on Snopes several years ago.

[url=http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=49785]Hikers and bikers, keep right - snopes.com[/url]

There's a thread I've already posted on a few times in "Current Events." I feel very badly for the parents. This horrific attack happened after 9 when the toddler was playing in the water. There were "no swimming" signs all along the lagoon. However, perhaps Disney should have taken extra precaution and added the alligator warning signs like that have at other resorts close by. [URL="http://www.tmz.com/2016/06/15/disney-alligator-attack-signs-warning-hyatt/"]Example[/URL]

Old 06-16-2016, 07:07 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
When people ignore warnings they should bear the responsibility for their actions them self and not blame others nor the wild life .
When one goes into the wild, they invade the animals territory ,and should accept the fact that animals do what they do naturally .
I am more familiar with mountain lion attacks having a few close calls personally.
Animals are acting on their instincts, it's how they survive.
People taking things for granted, simply because it is adjacent to a fantasy land, is how dumbed down stupid people are getting.
I feel bad for the loss and the family , but will any one learn form this event ? I seriously doubt it.
Hopefully Disney will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida