U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 12:37 PM

12,135 posts, read 13,207,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I have very little complaints about FL. But then I live in a small, quaint town a good ~20 miles away from Orlando.
I guess if I woke up with one complaint, it would be that my truck's AC took a **** and hardly works... Not the greatest of times for this to happen.

Kind of hard to be miserable when I wake up to a gorgeous sunrise, birds chirping around my bird feeders, dew dripping off of the leaves from my plants in the garden, dog wagging tail ready to go for a walk by the lake, etc.
Ive been to your area many times `and it is a nice place to be. I lived in Orlando (later annexed into Winter Park) from 88-05.

I thought I had an a/c problem in my truck. I resolved it by turning ac off before starting the engine. Works great now. Must be a malfunctioning compressor relay.

It is a pleasure living in FL compared to the life I had in Brooklyn NY for 30 years of my life. FL has met all of our expectations. It's a tad bit overcrowded but that is simply because a whole lot of people want to live here and enjoy what we do,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The point of the thread is Florida's ecology. Anyone with any kind of intelligence can see there are problems with water pollution with runoff/fish kills and the state is lacking in any initiatives to address it.
I guess you have never head of a state agency called the Florida Department of Environmental Protection

"The Florida Department of Environmental Protection, Florida's lead agency for environmental management and stewardship, is one of the more diverse agencies in state government - protecting our air, water and land. The vision of the Florida Department of Environmental Protection is to create strong community partnerships, safeguard Florida’s natural resources and enhance its ecosystems."

Perhaps you should visit their website and see what the state has done and is doing to address the issue of water pollution with runoff/fish kills and many other environmental protection activities.

Welcome | Florida Department of Environmental Protection (DEP)

Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP) -

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/water/non...npoint/sts.pdf

https://www.dep.state.fl.us/water/no...ors-manual.pdf

Old 06-23-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Life is what you make of it. It's pretty much incredible for me here in Florida. Call it a bubble, or call it making the decision to live somewhere with sunshine and unicorns.... I don't particularly care.
I fed my Unicorns this morning.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:56 PM

525 posts, read 458,977 times
I think many of Florida's ecological problems are ignored largely b/c of the transient nature of the state. People move in and out at insane rates and only care about their own personal time here. In other words much of the states citizens are only focused on short term Florida, not long term Florida.

I do have to agree with everyone else on the trash issue though, Florida is one of the cleanest states i have ever been too/ lived in.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:25 PM

21,114 posts, read 30,196,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I guess you have never head of a state agency called the Florida Department of Environmental Protection

"The Florida Department of Environmental Protection, Florida's lead agency for environmental management and stewardship, is one of the more diverse agencies in state government - protecting our air, water and land. The vision of the Florida Department of Environmental Protection is to create strong community partnerships, safeguard Florida’s natural resources and enhance its ecosystems."

Perhaps you should visit their website and see what the state has done and is doing to address the issue of water pollution with runoff/fish kills and many other environmental protection activities.

Welcome | Florida Department of Environmental Protection (DEP)

Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP) -

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/water/non...npoint/sts.pdf

https://www.dep.state.fl.us/water/no...ors-manual.pdf

Really? They seem to be doing some great work.

Florida Officials Drain Lake Full Of 'Toilet' Water To Coast | ThinkProgress

Old 06-23-2016, 03:09 PM

1,750 posts, read 1,621,584 times
Where would you suggest they dump the excess water from the lake? I believe they used to direct it towards the Everglades, but last year they decided to open the flood gates and dump it elsewhere. You could see it all the way down to Pompano Beach(was mainly on the surface; if you dove down to 5-7 feet, the water was clear). On the gulf side, Ft Myers had brown water for a while too.

I would say beach re-nourishement projects and siltation from that causes more harm to reefs (also high CO2 levels/acidification). Basically it buries the reefs slowly. When reefs decline, so are the fish populations. The side effect from the lake discharges is algal blooms due to high phosphates/silicates, even though the gulf stream helps a lot by flushing impurities out. I think the green/brown water persisted up to December(on and off), then it cleared up. Right now it's crystal clear, but we may have round 2 later this summer.

Other than this, our reefs are hanging in there/surviving(some in good shape, some in so so shape), despite the coral bleaching events; but this is a worldwide phenomenon at this point, not only in FL.

I do agree with others though that FL is one of the cleanest states with very little trash and graffiti on the streets.

And CA waters are far more polluted, check this.. FL overall probably has the least polluted waters in the continental US, hence why the reefs have not perished.

EPA: California waters show widespread pollution - SFGate

Last edited by Trigger-f; 06-23-2016 at 03:20 PM..

Old 06-23-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Besides what you read in the article, do you know anything about Lake Okeechobee?

It has been surrounded by ranch and farmlands and the Kissimmee River provides more than 60% of the water flowing into Lake Okeechobee. The river is polluted by the run off it takes on from farms, ranches and residential areas. Lake Okeechobee has a maximum depth of 12-13 feet. The flow of water out of the lake is controlled by ther U.S. Army Corps of Engineers so much of the pollution coming into the lake is corralled while a steady supply of polluted water flows into it every day. No wonder why parts of the seventh largest freshwater lake in the United States and (the second largest freshwater lake contained entirely within the contiguous 48 states) has pollution.

What the highly biased article you provided fails to mention is that Lake Okeechobee is nationally recognized as supporting high quality large mouth bass and black crappie stocks. The lake also supports a commercial fishery dominated by catfish species.

It is very difficult to reverse the damages to natural resources caused by man over decades of abuse to the environmental system.]

Old 06-23-2016, 05:25 PM

2,122 posts, read 1,363,527 times
Quote:
The point of the thread is Florida's ecology. Anyone with any kind of intelligence can see there are problems with water pollution with runoff/fish kills and the state is lacking in any initiatives to address it.
Maybe you are pretending to be an authority on the topic, with resources from unbiased and authoritative resources like "Think Progress" (LOL)...

or maybe they just aren't doing everything the way YOU think it should be done, but are doing just fine with our environment nonetheless.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:38 PM

6,855 posts, read 3,806,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I fed my Unicorns this morning.

To whom?

Old 06-26-2016, 03:39 AM

34,242 posts, read 41,261,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Well, compared to Montreal recently dumping 2 billion gallons of raw sewage into the St Lawrence River, this is nothing. Lol
You are certainly correct in your assessment of Montreal being a dump but the topic isnt about Montreal its about Floridas ecological problems regarding urban sprawl into ecologically sensitive areas to people tossing their litter into waterways,beaches and out of their car windows..
I remember frequently tubing down the Weeki Wachee,an activity that is no longer allowed due to the amount of garbage people would toss into the river.
https://www.google.ca/#q=Raw+sewage+dumping+..Florida

Last edited by jambo101; 06-26-2016 at 04:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida