U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-25-2006, 08:53 PM
 
Location: atlanta...for now
9 posts, read 22,850 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

I have posted this same question on the Texas thread...and figured the Florida thread might help also. I am looking to relocate from Atlanta and trying to decide where to go. I grew up in South Florida...but Miami is way too expensive and has changed too much to go back. I have considered Central Florida since it's close to South Florida and I can be based out of Orlando International Airport. I am a crewmember for an airline that has a base in Orlando...so that's why I am considering Central Florida. Austin, TX is my other option...I know very little about both so any help I can get would be greatly appreciated. If Central Florida does happen...where are the best schools in the Central Florida area? (within an hour of MCO). Has it gotten so bad in Central Florida that it might just be better to go to Texas? Weather is not a factor in my decision. Schools, Real estate prices, and quality of life are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-25-2006, 09:06 PM
 
Location: Heartland Florida
9,324 posts, read 23,733,385 times
Reputation: 4899
Central Florida has gotten very expensive in the last few years. Unless the bubble deflates.I say look at Texas. I am hoping that FLorida will return to reality in a coupleof years, otherwise I will be out of here as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2006, 09:57 PM
 
185 posts, read 635,554 times
Reputation: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddlejumper101 View Post
I have posted this same question on the Texas thread...and figured the Florida thread might help also. I am looking to relocate from Atlanta and trying to decide where to go. I grew up in South Florida...but Miami is way too expensive and has changed too much to go back. I have considered Central Florida since it's close to South Florida and I can be based out of Orlando International Airport. I am a crewmember for an airline that has a base in Orlando...so that's why I am considering Central Florida. Austin, TX is my other option...I know very little about both so any help I can get would be greatly appreciated. If Central Florida does happen...where are the best schools in the Central Florida area? (within an hour of MCO). Has it gotten so bad in Central Florida that it might just be better to go to Texas? Weather is not a factor in my decision. Schools, Real estate prices, and quality of life are.
Austin texas is a great town. I lived there nine years. I have been all over the country and Austin is one of the most fun, interesting towns I've seen.

Prices near downtown are getting up there but a little distance means a lot less in home costs.

I don't know about schools since I'm single.

Since it's a big college and government town, I imagine the schools are better than in Florida, but that's only speculation on my part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2006, 12:16 AM
 
Location: western East Roman Empire
6,541 posts, read 10,608,624 times
Reputation: 5616
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Unless the bubble deflates, I say look at Texas. I am hoping that Florida will return to reality in a couple of years, otherwise I will be out of here as well.
Ditto. You will obtain more and probably better quality of house in Texas than in Florida. I believe millage rates are somewhat higher in Texas, but since the buy price is lower, the actual tax bill may be lower. Most likely insurance rates are much lower in Austin (well inland) than in most regions of Florida. You may also consider further inquiries on comparative electricity rates (I think you need air condition most of the year in the two regions you are comparing).

Finally, as for schools, do not rely on the public school system to properly educate your children in Florida, Texas, the United States, or in any other country on this planet.

In any case, you may want to do some research starting from this website: http://www.greatschools.net/

I hope this helps and good luck.

Last edited by bale002; 11-26-2006 at 12:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2006, 09:31 AM
 
133 posts, read 528,311 times
Reputation: 53
Smile questions re: Austin

Hi Tampa Red,

Have been very interested in Austin also...

1) Does Austin have a lot less billboards/strip shopping malls cluttering the roads than in the Tampa area?

2) People say Austin is bad for asthmatics/allergy sufferers. Is it worse than the Tampa area? (know that may be hard to call)

3) Is the landscape dry and arid looking with short trees sparsely scattered about? Trying to compare to this area's vegetation.

Am sure Austin is a very interesting town in it's own right.

Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2006, 12:30 PM
 
185 posts, read 635,554 times
Reputation: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by roaring-rox View Post
Hi Tampa Red,

Have been very interested in Austin also...

1) Does Austin have a lot less billboards/strip shopping malls cluttering the roads than in the Tampa area?

2) People say Austin is bad for asthmatics/allergy sufferers. Is it worse than the Tampa area? (know that may be hard to call)

3) Is the landscape dry and arid looking with short trees sparsely scattered about? Trying to compare to this area's vegetation.

Am sure Austin is a very interesting town in it's own right.

Thanks for any info!
Strip malls? Austin has 3 major NS highways which seem sufficient for now. There isn't a lot of population to the east and west and there are smaller roads and neighborhoods as opposed to the endless 4 and 6 lane highways and gated "communities" of Tampa.

There's an over dependence on driving as in many newer cities so I can't compare it to more crowded areas like Orlando and Tampa.

There's kind of a small town feel to Austin, though that could have changed as I hear they've been building down town.

The one major thing for me is people are friendlier, funnier and more interesting. It's the State capitol and home to the University of Texas. There's live music everywhere and all different types. Besides the current stuff, there's real Country or you could listen to quality Blues or Jazz seven nights a week if you wanted to.

Pretty much lots to do for cheap.

I missed the water some, but there's Barton springs downtown and Lake Travis to the west. Allergies are a mystery, I never had allergies including9 years there, then picked them up in Largo Florida.

Landscape like you suggest is in West Texas. There are plenty of trees and people still water their lawns all summer, though it dries out if you don't.

If you have more specific questions, I'll be happy to answer them, though it's hard to compare things "in general".

I lived near a beach town in Pinellas until recently. Comparing Austin to inland Florida is comparing a place I loved to a place I dislike, (Tampa), so take it with a grain of salt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2006, 12:59 PM
 
133 posts, read 528,311 times
Reputation: 53
Default Austin

Thanks for your response, Tampa Red.

Yeah, know it is hard to compare 2 places in general.

But in your response, the fact that you said Austin has smaller roads/neighborhoods and not the 'endless gated communities' tells me something.

When it comes down to it, the only way to know what one thinks about a city is to take a trip to a place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2006, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Heartland Florida
9,324 posts, read 23,733,385 times
Reputation: 4899
I wish that "gated communities" didn't exist. The used to be called prisons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2006, 06:23 PM
 
Location: Collierville, TN
61 posts, read 221,136 times
Reputation: 42
If I had the option I would take Texas. I haven't lived there since 1992 but would love to go back. Florida in general is not favorable to the permanent resident in my opinion. Perhaps too many transients and part-time residents. The few times that we can get together for better schools and quality of life improvements the government tries as hard as possible to not implement. Research the class room size initiative and high speed rail. Texas isn't perfect either as schools usually lose out if it involves even the remote possibility of taxes. I believe land is cheaper as is insurance in Texas but property tax is usually higher. Austin also has less hurricanes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2006, 06:28 PM
 
Location: Collierville, TN
61 posts, read 221,136 times
Reputation: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I wish that "gated communities" didn't exist. The used to be called prisons.
If you have ever been a victim of crime you might think differently. I agree that I wish there wasn't a NEED for gated communities. There are far too many thieves and pedophiles to rule out living in a controlled access community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top