U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2008, 03:53 PM

2 posts, read 6,175 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking at moving to North Port in the near future. We currently live in Missouri and are both in our early thirties and have 3 kids. We have never wanted to move from MO until we visited FL in 2004 (and have been to almost every other state). There are many factors as to why we want to move including the usual,the beach, weather, ect. We have 3 kids so we are not looking for a place with a happening night life, just a good place to raise our kids and have attractions close by to take them to. I am a Police Officer and my wife is a nurse. Both of us are planning on doing the same in FL. I was hoping someone on here could give me a little info about the NPPD and what kind of Dept they are, and any other info you may have. Also was curious as to what kind of demand there is for long term care nurses there such as in nursing homes. One other concern is how hard is North Port affected by Hurricanes? We are just looking for some information relevant to our circumstances and we appreciate any help you could give and look forward to the responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 04:51 PM

7,486 posts, read 19,938,728 times
Hi KFSSA,

I live in North Port and also have three children. I know quite a bit about the NPPD and the school system. I worked for several years in the Sarasota County jail and saw many of the guys go from the jail to the NPPD. There are several that came from being correction officers in the Sarasota jail-Officer Nick, Chippendale, Siriani and many more. From what I understand it is somewhat hard to get hired on with North Port but with prior experience it may be a little easier. I do know that Officers go through 16 weeks of training once they are hired and North Port police officers work 12-hour shifts. Their rotation allows for them to work three days, have two off, then work two days and have three off. A few years ago they had 57 sworn officers. I'm not sure what the number is now. They also have an interview, background check, drug test, psychological test, lie detector test, fitness test, references, and they talk to several neighbors.

My assistant's husband is trying to get hired on with NPPD so I hear from her what the process is.

Here's an article about the NPPD from the local paper:
Police in North Port seek pay hike

As far as your wife goes, she should have no problem getting a job around here. There are many medical facilities and private doctors offices and nursing home facilities. There a few nursing homes in North Port and several in Venice.

North Port was barley touched by Charley and the rest of the hurricanes that came through in 2004. We had a few branches fall off trees but nothing major. Keep in mind that just because we didn't have much damage in prior years that doesn't mean we will remain untouched. Port Charlotte never had a direct hot until Charley. If you live anywhere in Florida you are not immune to the storms.

I would highly recommend looking into Pine View School for your children. My older two children attend this school and we absolutely love it. Pine View is a full time public gifted school, I'm not sure if this school would suit your needs but it's great for our children.There are certain elementary schools in North Port that I prefer and could give you info on, right now there is only one middle school (starting next year there will be another middle school opening) and there is only one high school.

I would be happy to answer any more questions about the area if you'd like to Direct Message me.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:44 PM

18 posts, read 64,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFSSSA View Post
My wife and I are looking at moving to North Port in the near future. We currently live in Missouri and are both in our early thirties and have 3 kids. We have never wanted to move from MO until we visited FL in 2004 (and have been to almost every other state). There are many factors as to why we want to move including the usual,the beach, weather, ect. We have 3 kids so we are not looking for a place with a happening night life, just a good place to raise our kids and have attractions close by to take them to. I am a Police Officer and my wife is a nurse. Both of us are planning on doing the same in FL. I was hoping someone on here could give me a little info about the NPPD and what kind of Dept they are, and any other info you may have. Also was curious as to what kind of demand there is for long term care nurses there such as in nursing homes. One other concern is how hard is North Port affected by Hurricanes? We are just looking for some information relevant to our circumstances and we appreciate any help you could give and look forward to the responses.
I have lived in North Port for 4 years and love it. One hurricane in 40 years.
NPPD is one of the best around.email me at bridget50@comcast.net for more information
Bridget

Old 02-17-2008, 07:47 PM

18 posts, read 64,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Hi KFSSA,

I live in North Port and also have three children. I know quite a bit about the NPPD and the school system. I worked for several years in the Sarasota County jail and saw many of the guys go from the jail to the NPPD. There are several that came from being correction officers in the Sarasota jail-Officer Nick, Chippendale, Siriani and many more. From what I understand it is somewhat hard to get hired on with North Port but with prior experience it may be a little easier. I do know that Officers go through 16 weeks of training once they are hired and North Port police officers work 12-hour shifts. Their rotation allows for them to work three days, have two off, then work two days and have three off. A few years ago they had 57 sworn officers. I'm not sure what the number is now. They also have an interview, background check, drug test, psychological test, lie detector test, fitness test, references, and they talk to several neighbors.

My assistant's husband is trying to get hired on with NPPD so I hear from her what the process is.

Here's an article about the NPPD from the local paper:
Police in North Port seek pay hike

As far as your wife goes, she should have no problem getting a job around here. There are many medical facilities and private doctors offices and nursing home facilities. There a few nursing homes in North Port and several in Venice.

North Port was barley touched by Charley and the rest of the hurricanes that came through in 2004. We had a few branches fall off trees but nothing major. Keep in mind that just because we didn't have much damage in prior years that doesn't mean we will remain untouched. Port Charlotte never had a direct hot until Charley. If you live anywhere in Florida you are not immune to the storms.

I would highly recommend looking into Pine View School for your children. My older two children attend this school and we absolutely love it. Pine View is a full time public gifted school, I'm not sure if this school would suit your needs but it's great for our children.There are certain elementary schools in North Port that I prefer and could give you info on, right now there is only one middle school (starting next year there will be another middle school opening) and there is only one high school.

I would be happy to answer any more questions about the area if you'd like to Direct Message me.
We had just moved to PC when Charlie hit us,We moved to North Port in December everyone in our family asks us to move back to Hollywood but I would not leave here for the world.
Love it .
And they are building the new ER on Toledo Blade and the hospital wi;; be ready next year.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:44 PM

2 posts, read 6,175 times
I just wanted to thank both of you for your responses because they are much appreciated and have been very helpful.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:26 AM

40 posts, read 88,219 times
The North Port police chief is Terry Lewis. It would be hard to find a better, smarter, more honest man to work for. And has been pointed out there is a need for nurses.

My next door neighbor works as a Sarasota County Sheriff's Deputy. His wife is a nurse. Both are grand people. He did have his annual bonus because of the tight economy. (Deputies with special training or skills were give annual bonuses until now).

i've been told the recently elected Sheriff, Tom Knight, runs a good department. As was pointed out, we have many medical facilities in the area that need nurses.

A couple moved into a house across the street. Both the husband and wife are doctors.

I can't say enough good about North Port. It is a young community that has much to offer. We wish I had retired earlier and moved to North Port sooner. We have friends in Punta Gorda, Port Charlotte, Englewood, and the City of Sarasota. All are nice places to live. But housing costs are most reasonable in North Port.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:01 AM

321 posts, read 919,844 times
I echo the sentiments about Chief Lewis. He is a great man and I would imagine a pleasure to work for. He is certainly a pleasure to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida