U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 03:17 PM

43 posts, read 138,704 times
Question Cost of Construction in S. FL

Hi, does anyone have an idea (it can be approximate) of how much a 3br 2ba (around 1900 sqft) house would cost to be built in S. FL?
I know that it can vary a lot but would like just to have an idea of the range of values. Another question is how the currently RE market situation affected the building costs.
I appreciate any info, especially from people that built recently. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 10:53 AM

40 posts, read 188,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlnasc View Post
Hi, does anyone have an idea (it can be approximate) of how much a 3br 2ba (around 1900 sqft) house would cost to be built in S. FL?
I know that it can vary a lot but would like just to have an idea of the range of values. Another question is how the currently RE market situation affected the building costs.
I appreciate any info, especially from people that built recently. Thanks!
Are you looking for a basic house or one with upgrades in it? There are so many variables when it comes to building a house that you can get a wide range of prices depending on what you want in the house you're building. Anywhere from $70 - $125 a square foot wouldn't be out of the question. If you want to Direct Message (DM) me, I can put you in touch with a reputable builder in the Rotonda/Port Charlotte/Englewood area that could discuss your needs with you.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:41 PM

43 posts, read 138,704 times
Default Thanks

Thanks wbowley for your answer, in fact I'm not ready to build right now but was curious to see how building costs compares to buying an already built house, I really had no idea but your estimate range was very usefull

Old 02-20-2008, 08:11 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,652,455 times
Builder's break even at about $60 a sq/ft. Of course they need to make a profit to say in business, and that's not an unreasonable concept. Most costs associated with new construction are fairly stable, except when the buyer starts changing design and ....upgrades.

Kitchens, bathrooms, flooring, windows add the most cost to new homes, and this is the part most new buyers want to upgrade.

Builders also have some wiggle room if they have an inventory of property... as in building lots.

So.... 1900 sq/ft A/C living space, plus a 2 car garage 400 sq/ft, and maybe a under roof screen room 200 sq/ft.... about 2500 sq/ft ... average nice size home these days....
total= $150,000+the lot+builder profit+impact fee's+upgrades+closing costs+and most important, move in/move from costs.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:59 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,903,383 times
Adams is advertising $70.00 bucks a foot right now. It'll be interesting to see how many sell at that price. My guess is it's going to go lower still.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
Adams is advertising $70.00 bucks a foot right now. It'll be interesting to see how many sell at that price. My guess is it's going to go lower still.
I bet it's all "contrator grade" stuff inside the house. The other possibility is they own a bunch of lots/property.

Prices can't get much lower without actually doing it yourself or... not having to pay employees. If you notice... a lot (if not most) contractors are using illegal immigrants for labor.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:35 AM

3,724 posts, read 6,605,735 times
In Tampa Bay, what I'm seeing is anywhere from $80 psf up to $250 psf. Obviously the lower the cost, the cheaper the labor and materials. Just be careful. There are building contractors out there that will tell you anything to get your money. There was a story about this happening somewhere in Florida on the news last night. One other point to mention is that the Florida building code substantially changed in 2004, 2006, and 2007. If you're interested, here's a link --> Florida Building Code Online.

As for the current market effecting prices, the cost of materials has not gone down, and builders who made a lot of money the past few years are having problems accepting lower pay for the same work. Same scenario with our local government who got good raises and bonuses as a result of the tax collection on property during the boom years. Now instead of taking pay cuts, they're talking about reducing services. I know this is a little off post, but it's true IMO.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 02-20-2008 at 09:46 AM..

Old 02-20-2008, 10:04 AM

2,515 posts, read 6,726,836 times
Majestic builders based out of West Palm Beach has 3/2 homes at 139K....it is listed on their website. I spoke to a representative that confirmed this information to me.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:30 AM

40 posts, read 188,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Prices can't get much lower without actually doing it yourself or... not having to pay employees. If you notice... a lot (if not most) contractors are using illegal immigrants for labor.
It's comments like this that give contractors a bad name. That's quite a blanket statement without any solid proof to back it up. It would be nice to see where you're getting this information from.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbowley View Post
It's comments like this that give contractors a bad name. That's quite a blanket statement without any solid proof to back it up. It would be nice to see where you're getting this information from.
No... it's contractors who give contractors a bad name. I've been in the business for almost 35years... (not a residential construction contractor) and I'm on building sites everyday. One needs only open their eyes to see. I agree it may be andectodal, but how does one count illegals? .. it's no wonder the "green" cars send many on the lamb? For instance... a recent arrest included six (6) roofers with all the same ID. The 'legal" who happened to be a real legal citizen sells copies of his documents. The local "man power" establisments are now the parking lots of supermarkets where contractors pick up day labor. However these are good people... like you and me, trying to care for their families.

I believe you will find most in agreement with me. I'm not being prideful at all... as in "I have a monopoly on knowledge", but dang... we have a problem with illegal immigrants taking skilled labor jobs for a whole lot less, and doing really poor work.

Sorry my experiences diagree with your position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida