U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 12:30 PM

3 posts, read 1,877 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are planning to do a key west trip at Christmas. Right now when I look at hotel prices most are between 600 and 900 per night. I want something on the water but close to Duval. I have narrowed to Hyatt, southernmost, Sheraton and the 2 Waldorf. Is that the average rate or am I looking too early? I heard its one of the busiest weeks so I wanted to get a jump and book something but if they will go down a little in the next couple months I can wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 01:03 PM

2,123 posts, read 1,363,527 times
It depends if you want a guaranteed room. These are hotels that know their market and set their rates accordingly. You can wait and hope something pops up (unlikely) - and then hope they give you a great rate (even more unlikely). I sure as heck wouldn't spend $700/night for Key West, but if it floats your boat.... I am a big fan of Southernmost. I really like their property, their beach/restaurants/bars. But I'd go in August/Sept when rates are more like $300 for an ocean view. Why people need to be there for Christmas and pay outrageous rates, I don't get it... but whatever.

The Reach is also a pretty nice resort on the water.

Old 07-19-2016, 01:19 PM

What I am wanting to know is if that is a normal rate for that time of year? Unfortunately our family doesn't have time off together we can take at other times of the year between work and school schedules.
I saw on another website people saying these hotels were 300-400 a night during Christmas week last year so that concerned me that I was looking too soon. Right now these hotels are asking about 200-250
I have worked in that industry so I know prices fluctuate from 6 months out to 2 months to last minute. I don't know the market in key west to know when the price is at a fair point. I don't mind overpaying a little. I just don't want to pay $600 and in September it drops to $300

Old 07-19-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copiper View Post
What I am wanting to know is if that is a normal rate for that time of year? Unfortunately our family doesn't have time off together we can take at other times of the year between work and school schedules.
I saw on another website people saying these hotels were 300-400 a night during Christmas week last year so that concerned me that I was looking too soon. Right now these hotels are asking about 200-250
I have worked in that industry so I know prices fluctuate from 6 months out to 2 months to last minute. I don't know the market in key west to know when the price is at a fair point. I don't mind overpaying a little. I just don't want to pay $600 and in September it drops to $300

Isn't that the gamble? I'd wait... but you may not get the room you want. If you are flexible in your choice of hotel, it may pay off to wait. I can't imagine the rates going higher than they are now.

Old 07-19-2016, 01:56 PM

6,298 posts, read 3,548,718 times
Go to a B & B. While far more in Season like December, much cheaper than any big, chain hotel. You can find them right on, just off, Duval Street where you can just walk from place to place. We stayed at one which had guest parking right in back. No charge.

Yes, I do agree that you will need to book far in advance for Season, especially with the B & B which are very small.

Old 07-20-2016, 03:39 PM

9,080 posts, read 8,221,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copiper View Post
Hi, we are planning to do a key west trip at Christmas. Right now when I look at hotel prices most are between 600 and 900 per night. I want something on the water but close to Duval. I have narrowed to Hyatt, southernmost, Sheraton and the 2 Waldorf. Is that the average rate or am I looking too early? I heard its one of the busiest weeks so I wanted to get a jump and book something but if they will go down a little in the next couple months I can wait.
Yes, those prices are the norm.

No, the hotels in Key West will not go down in the next couple of months.

My girlfriend is in management for a hotel group and said that is their busiest week. What will happen is any availability you see now will go away.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:34 PM

5,414 posts, read 5,386,318 times
That is the busiest time of the year for KW. Prices are very high Christmas week thru NY. Fantasy Fest is the end of October and charge the same prices for Hotels/B&B's. Prices are NOT going to go down.

I suggest that you join TripAdvisor and check out the KW Forum. The people there can answer any questions you may have about KW.

Another site is TUG (Time Share User's Group). Private owners rent out their Condo's for certain weeks. A Christmas week in KW for a 2 bd Condo's will run anywhere from $2,500-to $3,000. This would usually be for a Hyatt or Galleon Time Share.

Our favorite Hotel is the Casa Marina. It has a man made beach & is down the street from Southernmost & The Reach. Their prices, depending on the room is around $350/nt., plus daily resort fee, parking, taxes. Most major Hotels now charge for parking & have daily resort fees.

We have been going to KW for over 25 yrs. and have seen inflation hit there. We are going back early October and staying at a small Guesthouse without any frills.

Let us know how you make out. kelsie

Old 07-21-2016, 01:52 PM

5,414 posts, read 5,386,318 times
Copiper I would also like to mention that renting a home for your family might be a less expensive idea. Contact the local Realtors in KW and they can help you.

Don't rent anything off of Craig's List unless they can prove to you that they actually own the home and show you proof of a License to rent. There have been many scams the past few yrs. people sending money via Western Union, or personal checks to people who claim to be renting out "their homes", only to find out when they arrive the vacationers have no place to stay & they are out all of their money.

If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. kelsie

Old 07-21-2016, 08:08 PM

What makes you like casa marina better than the reach resort? I have been leaning towards the reach but more people seem to like casa marina. I would like a resort that is peaceful but I also like all the amenities like bike rental and activities. For a beach I am hoping for something to wade in but also with a little snorkeling off shore. Since both hotels are about $600 a night I just want to pick the one that suits us more.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:26 AM

I personally really liked Southernmost - if you can get a room that's ocean view. That have that part that sticks out and overlooks the beach area with grass and hammocks in front of your room. It's awesome. I'd just call and book over the phone if possible. It's been a couple of years, but you can also swim off the southernmost pier, they have stairs down and a little platform. You can wade out/swim from the pier to their beach no problem - the pier that is off the area with the hotel, sticks far out. It was just a pretty cool place. I imagine you could swim out from there and snorkel for sure.

I highlighted on the map the rooms I like and also where you can swim off the pier. I am fond of Southernmost if you get these rooms. You walk out and you look over their beach, it's on a little grassy area, hammocks, and about 50 ft to the pool which has a great little bar too. Plus they have a perfect restaurant right on their beach. I don't know how any other hotel can compete with it.

For what it's worth, I have rented jet skiis at The Reach without staying at the hotel. It's right next door.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or