Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2016, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,271 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I have never really done much in a forum, but I am getting really nervous! I have been hunting for homes and apartments in the Daytona Beach area and I thought I had an apartment in Port Orange, but a week before the moving truck was to come the complex denied my application! I had worked with them for months and they never gave me any indication that this was going to happen and I even kept asking them "I have a home to come too right?" I have two kids, a boy 7 and a girl 10 so schools are important. I just graduated with my bachelor's degree in human services and have been in healthcare for over 17 years. I just don't know where to look ???? I have talked to two realtors who have just been putting me on hold and I have filled out a ton of applications and played the waiting game, I can't keep doing these rental applications at the cost they want and keep getting denials. right now I have two applications waiting for approval and I think I have a good feeling about one, but my question is where do I look for housing that I have a chance of getting and not waiting forever to hear back? I don't want to live in the slums, I want something decent, but am anxious to just get this move over and move on.... any suggestions anyone!!! thank you so much for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 08:58 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,342,281 times
I don't understand the problem. We moved from Daytona to St Pete 7 months ago, and Daytona was one of the easiest places on earth to rent a place. There's LOTS of housing available, and the application process is the same as everywhere else. I had a place all rented by just calling a realtor when we sold our home sooner than we were ready to move, and thought we might need to stay for a few months. The realtor had sent the key and I was just going to put the money on a credit card on the phone when we decided to call the buyer and ask them to delay possession if they could, which they agreed to do.

When we originally moved to Daytona, we bought a mobile home in a senior park, and the application, credit, and background check took 30 minutes. So is there something on either of these that would possibly be a problem for you? If there is, just rent from an individual. There's plenty of nice condo owners that rent directly to people w/o going through realtors or property managers. I am pretty sure they are required to tell you why something is denied, and in any case, if you are denied you can go online or call and get a free credit report to see what's up. Usually, they're looking for court judgements against people, evictions, stuff like that.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:53 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer0821 View Post
Hello,
I have never really done much in a forum, but I am getting really nervous! I have been hunting for homes and apartments in the Daytona Beach area and I thought I had an apartment in Port Orange, but a week before the moving truck was to come the complex denied my application! I had worked with them for months and they never gave me any indication that this was going to happen and I even kept asking them "I have a home to come too right?" I have two kids, a boy 7 and a girl 10 so schools are important. I just graduated with my bachelor's degree in human services and have been in healthcare for over 17 years. I just don't know where to look ???? I have talked to two realtors who have just been putting me on hold and I have filled out a ton of applications and played the waiting game, I can't keep doing these rental applications at the cost they want and keep getting denials. right now I have two applications waiting for approval and I think I have a good feeling about one, but my question is where do I look for housing that I have a chance of getting and not waiting forever to hear back? I don't want to live in the slums, I want something decent, but am anxious to just get this move over and move on.... any suggestions anyone!!! thank you so much for your input.
Well, I guess the question is, why do you keep getting denied? Something in your credit or background check is causing it, in which case I don't know how we can help. Good luck, maybe you need to find a private landlord.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:28 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Well, I guess the question is, why do you keep getting denied? Something in your credit or background check is causing it, in which case I don't know how we can help. Good luck, maybe you need to find a private landlord.
Just to hitch hike on this --- You don't really need to "come clean" on this forum, but, you know perfectly well why you are getting denied... and it has nothing to do with the non-availability of places to rent. If you have a very shaky credit history with a record of non-payment, you may need to resign yourself to larger deposits.

Perhaps you could reveal if the issue is financial, social or something else. Otherwise, folks will have a difficult time helping-out.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:57 AM

874 posts, read 899,921 times
Dealing with tenants who have a background check issue is a challenge.

In any case, your best bet will be to find an individual landlord willing to deal with you directly - no middlemen of any kind. Look for things like duplexes, where the owner lives in one side, and rents the other half.

If the problem was a prior eviction, or other recent credit issue, cash is the best way to overcome landlord hesitation. Offer First, Last, plus 2 months of security deposit if you can.

On the other hand, if you have a criminal conviction, you really just have to overcome the hesitation of the landlord.

And regardless, worst off are the folks convicted of sex offenses, who have to disclose their issues not only to the landlord, but also to the neighbors before moving in. They're better off seeking rural areas (which are virtually non-existent in Miami Dade)

Old 07-26-2016, 07:08 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
If it's a credit/non payment thing, offer to pay half the lease upfront in cash. May be your only option
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida