U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 12:37 PM

12,135 posts, read 13,217,039 times

Advertisements

A lot of people havent been out of FL, or their local areas, for a very time and have no idea what is going on in the rest of the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I do not want to throw this thread off topic and I certainly am not debating you (since I have never been to your state I have no basis on which to comment) but I have seen this in other areas of the country. In the past 10 years I have lived in Virginia, upstate New York, Oregon and am now in Oklahoma (more's the pity) near the OKC metro. And our plan is to move to the Panama City area of Florida before the end of the year.

At any rate, I cannot speak to what is driving it, or the economic factors (both legitimate and illegitimate) involved, but this is an issue in other places I've resided, most acutely obvious in Oklahoma City which, in 45+ years of moving and traveling and living all over the nation, I contend is the ugliest and most boring American city I have ever spent time in, and I've spent time in Detroit(!)

But the urban blight and sprawl in on full, glaring display in OKC. Developers will come in to gentrify apartment/condo areas and place infrastructure for small businesses, zone for them, erect strip malls, etc. And it will thrive for a short time before it eventually ends up all boarded up. This is one of the major reasons the OKC metro is such a ghastly patchwork...one decent residential neighborhood surrounded by blocks of what look like places homeless people squat or bad crackhead ghetto neighborhoods...fairly nice, cute little business districts, but you have to drive through countless blocks of industrial wasteland to get to them. Very little here ever seems to get renovated or repurposed; the city just boards up entire blocks and then sprawls out further.

Sorry for the brief thread derailment. Back to lovely Florida!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 02:31 PM

261 posts, read 175,914 times
[quote=Spring Hillian;45000375]A lot of people havent been out of FL, or their local areas, for a very time and have no idea what is going on in the rest of the country

If Florida Cities enacted Urban Growth Boundaries along with better mass transportation, there wouldn't be there sprawl and congestion. But people will continue to move to Tampa, Orlando and the more urban regions and it will just get worse with out the boundaries and transportation changes . Northern Florida has some nice towns left such as Saint Augustine and Palm Coast and they dont give out the crazy building permits like places in Central and South Florida do.

Old 08-05-2016, 04:26 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,226,481 times
[quote=paradiselost;45026400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
A lot of people havent been out of FL, or their local areas, for a very time and have no idea what is going on in the rest of the country

If Florida Cities enacted Urban Growth Boundaries along with better mass transportation, there wouldn't be there sprawl and congestion. But people will continue to move to Tampa, Orlando and the more urban regions and it will just get worse with out the boundaries and transportation changes . Northern Florida has some nice towns left such as Saint Augustine and Palm Coast and they dont give out the crazy building permits like places in Central and South Florida do.

Palm Coast? Looked built up and very congested every time I pass through.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:05 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,217,039 times
I did not write that quote ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

[quote=StreetSmarts;45027587]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiselost View Post

Palm Coast? Looked built up and very congested every time I pass through.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:44 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,226,481 times
Huh. That's weird.

Old 08-06-2016, 02:17 PM

407 posts, read 667,274 times
As most of us see, development in Florida is out of control...
I moved to Fort Myers area almost 5 years ago. It looks so different now then it did 5 years ago...
The roads cannot handle the congestion in the summer, I do not want to see this place come season.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:44 AM

1,444 posts, read 1,923,345 times
[quote=paradiselost;45026400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
A lot of people havent been out of FL, or their local areas, for a very time and have no idea what is going on in the rest of the country

St Augustine and St Johns County are the fastest growing suburbs of Jacksonville.

Palm Coast is in Flagler County which was the fastest growing county in the US for several years

Old 08-10-2016, 01:11 PM

20,095 posts, read 12,054,534 times
Baby Boomers-

Old 11-17-2016, 06:24 PM

3 posts, read 1,846 times
Yea I live in Naples,so much urban sprawl,they literally haven't built any middle class apts or housing. The contruction here is getting ridiculous,plaza after plaza after plaza,gated community after gated community.the gated community are taking any possible side streets to take when the main roads are congested.now they plan on building high rises on Davis n 41intersection ,well thanks for making it even more congested.but it I do prefer a high rises over more cookie cutter gated communities and useless plazas,atleast the ft Myers area is more spread out.everything is getting real compact in Collier county,(primarily becuase of the massive gated communities)thank God I'm moving out next year

Last edited by Johnny239; 11-17-2016 at 06:37 PM..

Old 11-22-2016, 03:00 AM

461 posts, read 357,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaboy92 View Post
Almost everywhere you look there are more developments happening here in Central FL and on the coastline, major cities, rural areas.

Not to make this into a political agenda discussion or argument, but isn't this at least concerning to people? It seems that politicians and developers are letting every development be approved on every corner. Every roadway is being expanded. In the few years I've been here, the changes here have been astounding. Buildings that were constructed 5 years prior, were torn down and the land was rebuilt with something else.

Florida is no longer "Southern" from the I-4 corridor to everything south of that with minor exceptions in certain areas. I am wondering if the entire state will be covered in concrete someday at the rate developments are popping up.

Florida is no doubt in a constant state of flux, transition with so many various residents coming in and etc. But what is going to become of this place in 10, 15, 30 years? The population is already at 20 million. This is something that has intrigued me from the beginning of the time I arrived.

What are your thoughts, opinions on this? This is a topic that very few people in this state bring up, and I'm not sure why. I'm aware of what I see though and this is definitely one of the most fastest growing places I have ever witnessed in my life.

I feel like I arrived here too late or just simply at the wrong time.
I totally agree with you man. I feel like I am out of place here increasingly because of the yuppies or uninformed types who keep coming down here.. They don't want to better the place, they want to live in segregated enclaves.. yuppies do.. its bad enough everyone else does it, but these people with money do it too and come here, don't wanna bother with anyone else but themselves.. Selfish people they are. And this comes from a self proclaimed m******* from new England, a yankee.. I even cant stand these west coast yuppies who are coming here, probably from California or Austin. The working class has to come together against them because they don't make the place any better. Its strange because I am increasingly starting to realize what being a Native American is almost like. I can get by, but I just so don't identify with these people all coming in from god only knows where. Keeping themselves covert more than likely.

Florida cant handle all these people though I got news for you. They can barely handle what they have now. Plus, some of these people from other full west coast metros could just be the overflow coming here like from Portland, Austin, Denver. Has to be because all the NY'ers that ever could come here, I think have already came here.. same with Ohio folks too or any of those eastern states. This has to be a new wave of migration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or