U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 12:31 PM

9,646 posts, read 6,928,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
There was an active hurricane season in 2004=
Taken By Storm, 2004 storms Hurricane Charley, Frances, Ivan and Jeanne ravaged Florida
Didnt do much to slow down Floridas population growth.
If you want to slow Florida growth make the place really expensive,get rid of the beaches and turn the climate cold.
I knew a number of folks who moved out of Miami after Hurricane Andrew in 1992. Not that many of them moved out of Florida though, most moved inland or further north on either coast in Florida. They for some reason assumed that hurricanes could only hit the southeast FL coast, but then along came the storms of 2004 and 2005, ie, Charley, Frances, Ivan, Jeanne, Katrina, Rita and Wilma, and showed us hurricanes can hit anywhere and affect anywhere in Florida, even inland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 12:53 PM

1,352 posts, read 718,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
The only thing that'll slow growth is a sharp downturn in the economy and an active hurricane season where 2 or more hurricanes make land fall in FL--- that'll slow the growth down a bit.
Was there a drop in the Florida population growth after 2004/2005?

Old 07-24-2016, 02:16 PM

4,763 posts, read 5,290,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Was there a drop in the Florida population growth after 2004/2005?
I think you're right.
Not exactly sure when it happened, but think it was around then when more people moved out than moved in.
Maybe it was after Wilma

Old 07-24-2016, 03:24 PM

626 posts, read 500,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
"If we don't build it will they stop coming?

People move here because they are tired of shoveling snow, they like warm weather year round, Florida has no state tax and special perks for seniors.

But I am concerned when I see more and more green land being turned into subdivisions and our wildlife having no place to go.

Meanwhile with all this "growing" my area of Florida has a shortage of affording housing (I'm not talking Section 8). Seems like the only thing being built is more and more expensive HOA gated communities and nowhere near enough apartment complexes. The powers that be definitely cater to the rich; we have a community near me that was built recently where the houses START at $1 million.

But try to find a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment or condo to rent and we're talking over $1,000 a month where a few short years ago it was easy to find a 1 bedroom for around $600.
The rents you mention were the same as my experience last spring when I visited the Tampa/St Pete area. I looked at quite a few 1 bedroom apartments and 1 bedroom condos, and everything was over $1,000. And not good places, older complexes with beat up appliances, etc. Not great and overpriced. Plus, AC would be on top of that.

The developers building higher end condos and homes in FL follows a national trend. Many desirable areas across the country are lacking "affordable" housing options for middle class wages and seniors' middle income retirement pensions. Developers want to cash in by building high end condos, upscale apartment complexes and higher end single family homes. As long as there is a population willing to spend big bucks on housing, it won't change.

I think the idea of "cheaper living in Florida" that many posters have mentioned is relative to where you are coming from. FL seems less expensive in some ways (property taxes, real estate) than the northeast or west coast, but not that different from the midwest in terms of overall COL. Escaping the snow, however, is likely the #1 reason for many people to move from the north to the south.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:48 PM

2,056 posts, read 2,439,182 times
I'm not sure where you go the idea that people do9n't discuss this??? I mean, have you looked at the forums? It seems as if that's all that's discussed sometimes.

But, it's warm, cheap (where we are anyway), and there's a beach. Just try to keep people out w/ those attractions.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:35 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,182,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I will add that many people who do move to FL complain about the lack of a community feeling in FL. Not all of them, but it definitely exists. Florida is more of a fake friendly, and also many people who do move down here aren't really interested in making friends. A married couple might move to FL and find that problematic. That's one of the negatives with the state being so transient I guess.
Agreed.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:26 AM

1,798 posts, read 2,272,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
It's warm and cheap. That's about it.
And..Florida is located out east, which makes it an easy transition for much of the US. Just head south on I95 or I75 for a couple days max, and then palm trees!

Old 07-25-2016, 05:09 AM

340 posts, read 250,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
And..Florida is located out east, which makes it an easy transition for much of the US. Just head south on I95 or I75 for a couple days max, and then palm trees!
And you can just hop on I10 for a couple days!

Old 07-25-2016, 11:24 AM

34,177 posts, read 41,117,869 times
Another way to decrease Floridas population if that is your wish would be to ban all Air conditioners.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:11 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,430,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Another way to decrease Floridas population if that is your wish would be to ban all Air conditioners.
Yes! Let's see how many people like the humidity then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or