Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 08:54 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times

Advertisements

A single family home under $150K in Plantation will have something SIGNIFICANTLY wrong with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 08:44 AM

173 posts, read 680,859 times
Thanks for the replies.

What everyone of you were saying is true, but the fact is that alot of it depends on the type of lifestyle you want for yourself.

The sole reason why I haven't chosen to go to college is because sometimes, people go and get degrees, and they still come out struggling in the work force in Florida, MOST OF THE TIME never even being able to get in the field that they went to college for in the first place, so it's like that is money and years wasted. That is money that could be saved up for the home if you ask me.

I've seen MANY people (Esp. family members) who live their lives working REGULAR jobs and somehow for years, still managed to keep their homes in Florida (Til this day I still don't understand how they are pulling it off, but that is the main thing that is inspiring me to move there.).

The ones who are stuggling the most have these big homes or contemporary medium sized homes that cost about 350k and they just waste their money on stuff that they don't need, so when they are about to lose their homes, they want to blame ALL of their problems on the state.

For a STRONG example, I have an uncle who lives in Coral Springs. He has a college education and works in Boca Raton in the computer field (assembly I think). He has a working spouse as well and both bring home a damn good income. They live in a contemporary style home that's within the 250k-300k price range and it's a used home (For lack of a better word right now, but you get what I'm saying). Right now, he is complaining about how much more of this he can take in Florida as far as cost of living is concerned. But you know the reason why he can't afford to make it there, even with the good paying job that he has? He is spending money buying cars is why. Cars he don't need. Within the past 4 yrs, he purchased AT LEAST 6 or 7 cars from auto auctions, some of which are sitting in other family member's yards now because they can't fit in his own yard.

On the other hand, I have an aunt who has lived in Florida since the mid-80s. Her and her husband never went to college and all they ever worked were regular jobs since they've been over here in the U.S.. They live in Lauderdale Lakes in a ranch-style home (Not an actual ranch of course) that was probably worth 150k maybe 200k when they moved in, and the neighborhood is pretty safe at that (LAUDERDALE LAKES MIND YOU!!!!). They managed to fix it up over the years and now the home is worth 250k at the least. Sometimes they have it hard with making it, but they are still surviving and managing to keep their home. They go out and spend foolishly too. They go to parties and buy brand new cars, but they are prime examples of what I am talking about in terms of being able to survive in Florida.

Oh yea, also check this, in Coconut Creek I found A FEW homes that were in damn good condition for under $800 a month. You can't beat that for Florida's standards. That just proves that NOT every home is high priced in Florida. If you are lucky and know where to look, you will come across a few bargains.

So yes, Florida is RIDICULOUSLY expensive, but it's NOT impossible. The majority of surviving there depends on where that earned dollar goes. Insurance and property taxes are the killers, yes, and there is nothing we can do about it, but everything else is about your wants.

Last edited by rickyd; 02-22-2008 at 09:54 AM..

Old 02-22-2008, 11:00 AM

As I said before, if I do decide to move down there this or next year, I will RENT a home, not buy. I'm not even thinking about buying right now. That is what I said from the start.

Anyhow, to get back to the original topic, if there is anyone here in the situation currently, or has been in that situation, please tell me about your experience in renting a home in Florida and how everything turned out for you in terms of being able to afford to live there.

Last edited by rickyd; 02-22-2008 at 11:48 AM..

Old 02-22-2008, 12:18 PM

Coconut Creek is significantly different than Plantation or Boca. Coconut Creek is not bad, but is much less expensive than either of the cities first mentioned.

You asked about those areas and your original post mentioned prices between $150 and $200K. That's just not gonna happen in Boca or Plantation unless there is something wrong with the house.

I think it's a great idea to rent first. I question whether you can afford a $200K house on a $15 an hour job.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Coconut Creek is significantly different than Plantation or Boca. Coconut Creek is not bad, but is much less expensive than either of the cities first mentioned.

You asked about those areas and your original post mentioned prices between $150 and $200K. That's just not gonna happen in Boca or Plantation unless there is something wrong with the house.

I think it's a great idea to rent first. I question whether you can afford a $200K house on a $15 an hour job.

The statement about Coconut Creek was just saying that it's possible to find a few affordable homes in Fl, compared to when people said that it's not.

Just like I have been saying since the start of this topic, I plan on renting a home anyway, not buying. Not for a long while. The renting price is half the original price that you would pay per month. For a 250k home, one would usually pay around $1,042 a month. However, the renting price on that would be somewhere around $521 a month.........if renting really is HALF the price of how much you would originally pay on the home if you would've bought it.

Last edited by rickyd; 02-22-2008 at 01:01 PM..

Old 02-22-2008, 01:23 PM

601 posts, read 1,904,164 times
there is no way you will find a $250,000.00 house that rents for $521.00
that is way off....maybe 1000.00-1200.00 per month is more like it.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyd View Post
The statement about Coconut Creek was just saying that it's possible to find a few affordable homes in Fl, compared to when people said that it's not.

Just like I have been saying since the start of this topic, I plan on renting a home anyway, not buying. Not for a long while. The renting price is half the original price that you would pay per month. For a 250k home, one would usually pay around $1,042 a month. However, the renting price on that would be somewhere around $521 a month.........if renting really is HALF the price of how much you would originally pay on the home if you would've bought it.
You won' t find a decent rental in Broward county for $500 a month. Things really are expensive here. My husband and I are lucky. We make enough money so that we are able to live comfortably here. But I would not be a very informative person if I told you "Sure come on down. You can get decent housing in Broward for $500 a month." You can't.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:38 PM

So what is this thing about rent being half of the price you would pay per month?

Old 02-22-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyd View Post
So what is this thing about rent being half of the price you would pay per month?
I never heard that. But I suspect that if they are talking half they mean half the TOTAL cost to own, which would include insurance, and taxes. Insurance and taxes are significant in FL.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:46 AM

Well, that makes more sense, but the cost is ridiculous! I heard it on here on the first page, but maybe I took the answer wrong when someone said that the rent is half the cost of buying.

That was the whole purpose of this topic anyway, to find out how much cheaper it is to rent so thanks for answering it, because I didn't know.

In either case, I am still finding homes in Boca for around $800-900 a month on one particular site. That is still a high ass cost for the average worker, but it's better than paying over $1k per month. I admit, not all of the homes in that price range that I'm finding aren't all that, but I am finding a few here and there that are bargains though, and look pretty descent too.

Last edited by rickyd; 02-23-2008 at 11:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida