Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 05:06 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,980,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suthernharleyryder View Post
quick question also, i saw someone in forum(posted about 8 mo ago i think) that their average electric bill with runnen AC 24/7 was about 100 bucks...is this about right or way off? here in TN right now, with just about everyplace being total electric...and runnen AC alot in summer and heater in winter, we average(fmaily of 5) about 80-100 bucks, with peak bill at 124-140(at hottest part of summer and coldest part of winter), with kids, tv's, lights and etc ALWAYS on....lol, up north, we paid between 200-300 just for electric, not counting heat fuel...so we do enjoy the electrc bill when it arrives now...lol, can anyone give comaprision to theirs in florida(family of 4-5, alot of use, all electric place, avg of 1500 sqft) and is everything in florida electric or is propane cooking/heat a option?
I just got my bill today, $205.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 07:09 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,023,247 times
Honestly, I think it's hot and humid all over the south. My family was from Oklahoma, and we spent a lot of time there every summer, and it was humid. All I can say is, I think it stays hotter/humid longer in Florida than in Oklahoma.

But take Texas for example, and Dallas in particular. It seems hotter than Jacksonville, but less humid. I always thought Oklahoma was awfully humid, but maybe that is too old a memory, because it really shouldn't be any different than Texas.

I hope some folks who are recent transplants from one to the other state chime in.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:43 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,062,205 times
I lived in Tulsa a while and had family there. Florida is about the same in the summer for the heat index. Oklahoma is hotter, but Florida is a little more humid, so it balances out. The heat index in Florida is often over 105 in the daytime and the sunlight is intense, which also contributes to heating. The summer heat lasts slightly longer than Oklahoma, too.

You can expect warm weather from March to December. It is intensely hot from late May to September, as well as quite rainy and humid. The rainy season starts in the spring and lasts into autumn. This season has warm, moist air and it rains almost every day, usually intense rains for an hour to half a day or all night. The dry season starts in October and lasts until late February or March and is characterized by milder weather with little or no rain, occasional cool snaps, but in the "Fall" period it can still get quite warm in the daytime, with high's in the 80's. 85 degrees in December isn't uncommon. "Winter" as such in Florida lasts from January to February and is characterized by dry weather and temperatures that are mostly in the 60's or lower 70's, with lows in the 50's or 40's.

South Florida on the coast is one of the cooler areas of Florida, with very moderate temperatures year round. Orlando and Lakeland are two of the hottest areas.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:43 PM

61 posts, read 267,791 times
South Florida's humidity is not nearly as oppressive as other places in the South. There are the gulf stream breezes. it is different. Just takes some getting used to.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:19 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,767,159 times
I remember driving up the coast on 95 last summer in August, and it was WAY hotter in South Carolina than in Florida.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:09 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,100,783 times
I am a native Floridian, my hubby from Indiana. He says it is just as hot and humid in Indiana, just for a shorter time. I visited there in summer, and thought it was hotter than Florida.

Florida has microclimates, also, as Magnulus above mentioned in his post, Lakeland is inland and can be hot in spots, however I find it much cooler here than say, Tampa, because we live in the central core where it is hilly, heavily treed, and have many lakes with cool breezes. Humidity here is lower than near the coast as well, Lakeland is on some of the highest ground in peninsular Florida.

The intense sunlight is a BIG factor in Florida, and I find it almost intolerable in the southern coastal cities, I like the inland sun far, far better. One just needs to find the area in Florida where you feel most comfortable.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:12 AM

467 posts, read 1,691,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I just got my bill today, $205.
me too, 218.00

Old 02-20-2008, 07:50 AM

14,951 posts, read 9,787,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suthernharleyryder View Post
we are considoring moving to florida, possiable Tampa or Titusville areas. For Florida in general, when it comes to heat/humidity, we would like to get some comparisions from folks. I grew up in Oklahoma(can we say hot??) and my husband is from northen Michigan, we are retired military, still young, and have lived all over. we are in east TN now. I have also lived in Massachussets, and summers there to me was as brutal as Oklahoma, but i lived thru it cuz i was used to humidity. what we would like to know is if anyone in florida that has ever lived in areas like OK,TX, upper east coast and delt with that sort of heat and humidity, and also lived in Florida, how would you compare it? Ive been on this board for a day now and see alot say how hot and humid it is, but most of those are from cold states and didnt know what heat was....lol, others seem to claim the coastal breezes keep it bearable, its humid, but again, bearable. i understand that june thru sept is hottest, so anyone that can offer up a comparision would be great(worse, same, less) thanks alot!!!
The only way to answer this is.... spend some time here and see if you acclimate.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:51 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,100,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CURT View Post
me too, 218.00
Me too - $61.39.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:53 AM

8,893 posts, read 4,541,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Me too - $61.39.
Mine was $96.91, and thats with the pool running for 4 hours...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida