Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 09:14 PM

54 posts, read 196,261 times

Advertisements

wow! thanks to all who replied, you guys are all so nice!! but i regret to say i think we will go back to oklahoma, we are used to the heat there, but after 3 strong months of it there, we welcome fall.....and from what i gather here, 6 mo of veryextreme heat/humidity i think is going to be to much for us...ok ok...call us wusses....(spell??lol)
but i did like the viewpoint one poster left..."a guys point of view"...im imagine your exeriance is true...and when my husband heard it, he was laughen and sayen he didnt feel like haven a waterfall down his back or his...ummmm...buisness sticken to his leg just to check the mail.....still lmao!!! but....we plan on vacationing inflorida more, just now know what months to avoid...and maybe if we win the lottery, can do what the people of my husbands home state of michigan do...livein florida in winter, and other in the summer....lol. take care all, i will post now and then to get tips on vacation ideas, and i hope to run into some of ya someday...thanks again for all your help, you have been great!!! and if any of ya ever happen over into oklahoma...shoot me email...would love to give ya the tour!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 10:00 PM

387 posts, read 1,593,466 times
Even the people who THINK they know humidity and heat (i.e. people in coastal South Carolina, Mississippi, Bama, etc) really don't know FLORIDA heat and humidity.

... Houston (notorious for those long hot humid summers) lies at a more northern latitude than Gainesville, Fl... and Gainesville's pretty far north by Florida standards.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:22 PM

7 posts, read 13,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg83 View Post
Even the people who THINK they know humidity and heat (i.e. people in coastal South Carolina, Mississippi, Bama, etc) really don't know FLORIDA heat and humidity.

... Houston (notorious for those long hot humid summers) lies at a more northern latitude than Gainesville, Fl... and Gainesville's pretty far north by Florida standards.
I think it depends on where you are in Florida. The Gulf Coast up through the pan handle can be very humid. The east coast below Orlando is not as bad. The Keys are also more pleasant. We took a trip along the gulf and over to Dallas last year. I felt more hot and humid in Dallas than I ever did on the lower east coast of Florida. The most humid I have ever felt in my life was Sea Isle City, NJ. We were there for a week in early September and I literally had trouble breathing the air was so heavy.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:30 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,896,201 times
Between June and September I try and find any way to get out of Florida,I remember taking a road trip a couple of years ago in early June up to Ohio,then to Mass.,NY,VA.I remember it being 47 degrees at night in Sandusky,Ohio and a beautiful 65 degrees during the day and 52 in Boston during the day,all I could think about was how happy I was to not be in Florida with 95 degrees and feel like of 110.I remember driving south and having the windows open until we hit South Carolina when it started getting muggy and progressively worse.By the time I got to Fla.I was depressed knowing we had at least 4 more months of oppressive heat!!

Old 02-24-2008, 07:15 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBob View Post
I think it depends on where you are in Florida. The Gulf Coast up through the pan handle can be very humid. The east coast below Orlando is not as bad. The Keys are also more pleasant. We took a trip along the gulf and over to Dallas last year. I felt more hot and humid in Dallas than I ever did on the lower east coast of Florida. The most humid I have ever felt in my life was Sea Isle City, NJ. We were there for a week in early September and I literally had trouble breathing the air was so heavy.
The Keys are NOT more pleasant, trust me. Come on down in June-October and see how far you can walk without sweating profusely.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:48 AM

1,781 posts, read 6,962,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
The Keys are NOT more pleasant, trust me. Come on down in June-October and see how far you can walk without sweating profusely.

I agree I doesn't matter where you are in Florida in the summer it is super humid everywhere. Your going to need your A/C 10 months out of the year.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:56 AM

7 posts, read 13,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I spent 35 years in FL, all over. Been to the Keys during the summer. Been to Pensacola during the summer. Been to Texas in the summer.

The Keys have more air flow in the summer and I felt more comfortable there. And up in Key Biscayne, the temps stayed a few degrees cooler, the air moved nicely, and it was more comfortable than the Panhandle the same time of year.

I also felt Orlando was very stagnant when compared to further down the coast.

Not saying it is not hot and humid all over, simply grading various areas using my 35 years of experience.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:22 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,489,855 times
I admit the heat and humidity is opressive in Fl. I lived in Naples and its one of those towns just about as far south as you can get on the west coast with that subtropical climate and boy, phew its HOT!! I feel bad for towns not on the water, its gotta be worse for sure... But when "winter" rolls around I'll be thanking my lucky stars I'm not diggin out snow and sliding on ice

Old 02-24-2008, 09:03 AM

387 posts, read 1,593,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
I admit the heat and humidity is opressive in Fl. I lived in Naples and its one of those towns just about as far south as you can get on the west coast with that subtropical climate and boy, phew its HOT!! I feel bad for towns not on the water, its gotta be worse for sure... But when "winter" rolls around I'll be thanking my lucky stars I'm not diggin out snow and sliding on ice

Ugh, I'd gladly take the 10 months of heat and humidity. I literally lived in a swamp in Florida... but I miss those 90+ days and nights. And I miss complaining about how it affected my hair.

"Real" winters suck. Especially for Floridians who aren't used to them at ALL. I hate being PALE from November - late March. And not enjoying the outdoors.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:41 PM

25 posts, read 93,097 times
I live in Tallahassee and both the heat and humidity are hard to bare especially in the mid to late summer. I end up sick as a dog if I stay out too long. God forbid the A/C ever stop working. The closer you are to the coast though you get a nice little breeze, even if it's hot air at least it's not stagnant and boiling!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida