Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 12:36 PM

2,530 posts, read 1,862,895 times

Advertisements

Yes, out of all the seven billion humans in the world, you are the only one who dislikes Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 01:42 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,839,146 times
It's ok that you feel the way you do. You're young and you need to see the world! Besides, if everyone loved Florida........well that just wouldn't work now would it? LOL
I am currently in Wisconsin and although I do not hate this state---I do want to leave it. I am in my 50's and at this point I just do not want to deal with the winters any longer. Sure, it was great when I was a kid---even a young adult. You will find that some things you like now you may not like later and vise versa. It's all part of experiencing life!
It is strange to me that someone would make negative comments to you about it being "selfish" that you want to join the military, etc. What choices you make for your life is your business. Life is an adventure not a destination so I hope you have a great one!
P.S We have awesome clear and beautiful lakes here in Wisconsin

Old 08-03-2016, 05:11 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,118,662 times
Sometimes OP it takes moving away and experiencing a different state to understand how good the state you left is. I am born in Florida and lived most of my life here but in my adulthood I have been able to live in many other states across the country. Sure, there are things about Florida that I wish were different, but I can say with 1000% confidence that ours is one of the best states in the nation.

My advice is to move somewhere else and then you can make good comparisons. I have lived in Georgia, Texas, Colorado, and Illinois, and to me Florida is better than all of those places. When I moved to each one I thought I would fined some type of paradise that I was seeking, but each one had things about it that I couldn't stand and Florida didn't have those things.

There were some things that Florida didn't have that other places did though. I wish Florida had an economy like Colorado and Texas (well, Dallas and Austin. Houston and other parts of Texas are too dependent on oil), for instance, but it doesn't. At the same time Florida has much lower cost of living than Colorado, and it doesn't have the pervasive social conservatism that Texas has. I wish Florida had mountains like Colorado and Georgia, but those places don't have the gorgeous beaches and water everywhere that Florida has.

Old 08-03-2016, 05:24 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,118,662 times
Reading your post OP you might want to check out Colorado!! A lot of the things you say you desire are out there in abundance. Rural areas, nature, mountains galore.

Also, you mention that you don't like big party places. Colorado isn't a big party state. Its truly, truly not. Denver is comparable size to Orlando and Tampa and both of Florida's cities blow it out of the water in terms of night life. Bars in Denver stop serving alcohol at 1:30 AM and that made me so mad because I am used to being wild until 3 AM. I personally didn't like how brown and barren everything was, though some scenes were picturesque.

Just be ready for more taxes and a CRAZY higher cost of living. Rent outside of higher end markets is literally double what you will find in a comparable Florida city.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:09 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,247,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89MustangGTFox View Post
I am the only person who doesn't like Florida? I have lived in Florida for the past ten years after my parents moved us here because my dad got a job transfer. It was fine at first but I am not sure if I have gone crazy or maybe I am not a Florida guy but I honestly don't like living in Florida anymore. The population in Florida is a bit of a melting pot. Living here has allowed me to meet someone from every state- Even Alaska and Hawaii! Everyone I have ever met has one thing in common; They love Florida and think it's the best place they have ever lived and they hate their home state.

When I mention I don't like Florida, I receive the strangest looks, gasps and get told I am insane. People always ask "How can you not like Florida? It's the best state in the country!" "We have beaches and Disney World!" But I honestly don't like it. I feel like there has to be something else out there in the country or the world. Florida simply can't be the only good place. I also get told I am immature when I mention I don't like Florida. I've been told this by neighbors,my parents friends, teachers, college prof., co-workers, etc.
(I am 21 so perhaps it's because I am Young and I haven't left the state since I moved here 10 years ago).

What I hate about Florida is that it's nothing but one giant Suburb. Florida has nothing but Subdivision, after subdivision and miles and miles of close together suburban houses. A lot of these subdivisions are giant and when you are a kid without a car you are trapped in them. Even with a car they are still a pain to drive through. There aren't any lush forests to explore or any hills or creeks or mountains. It's nothing but rows of houses, golf courses and man made lakes. Also the grass is thick as hell and the only natural terrain is swap with fungus in the water. No crystal clear lakes.

When I lived in upstate New York we had our own private property on a few acres. It was great. I was able to practice hockey outside in the winter, I could hit baseballs off the Tee in the summer, fish without even leaving my property. The lakes and rivers were crystal clear (you could drink from them without worrying about getting sick or Amoebas) There were plenty of lush forests to explore, mountains. It was nice. Here there are neighbors everywhere. It sucks. I hate the lack of rural areas in Florida too.

I also hate how crowded Florida is. It takes forever to drive anywhere due to how crowded the roads are. That combined with bad traffic, bad drivers and bad roads. Florida is just so crowded. Everyday there is a car accident, everyday I am stuck in Traffic due to an accident or simply by too many cars on the road at once.

I also I am not really a bar or club going guy and I don't drink often but this seems to be a big reason people move to Florida. A lot of people say they love Florida's lax alcohol laws (especially people from the Carolinas, PA, New Jersey and the family from Utah I know) and it was a big reason for them moving here. It seems like most people I meet regardless of age the only things they want to do is drink every weekend or go to night clubs. Also what's with people in Florida sitting in their driveways drinking? (Even my parents find this strange).

I am the only who feels this way about Florida? I've meet someone from every state and it seems all them hate their home state and insist Florida is the best. But I just don't buy it.

I'm still in college so it will be a couple of years before I can leave but I hope to be a military officer and see a little bit of the world. (Though I get told I am selfish and immature for wanting too). I find myself dreaming about visiting places such as Wyoming, Montana or even Alaska. Or returning to Upstate New York or New Hampshire. (I love visiting NH as a kid).
Come up to N.H.. You'll love it!

Old 08-03-2016, 07:40 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
I agree that the OP needs to get out and explore more. However, he will still probably come away not liking FL. Me, as a Florida native, I like the opposite of what FL offers.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:44 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Half of Texas goes to Florida for their beach time, but after going to the Waldorf at Key West, The Breakers, various hotels in the Orlando area, the Miami airport, Ft Myers, northern Florida, etc...I don't know why anyone goes there.
It's not the locals. They've always seemed nice enough. It's the east coasters that flood that state. They're loud, obnoxious, bring their rudeness, and frankly, nicer, quieter, better beaches are to be had in the Carib or Mexico.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:53 PM

17,184 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Half of Texas goes to Florida for their beach time, but after going to the Waldorf at Key West, The Breakers, various hotels in the Orlando area, the Miami airport, Ft Myers, northern Florida, etc...I don't know why anyone goes there.
It's not the locals. They've always seemed nice enough. It's the east coasters that flood that state. They're loud, obnoxious, bring their rudeness, and frankly, nicer, quieter, better beaches are to be had in the Carib or Mexico.
Hmm... I beg to differ. Recently went to Captiva Island and was quite frankly blown away...

Old 08-03-2016, 08:05 PM

695 posts, read 998,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
As a midwesterner, I've had the same experience when visiting Florida. The transplants and tourists from the northeast were the least interesting and most rude on my visits to Florida. I remember renting a condo on Treasure Island last year, and going to the Publix frequently for supplies. Old people pushing grocery carts would ram my cart out of the way, rather than just ask me to move it so they could get by. Seriously. I would apologize and move my cart, and then after a brief interaction, I realized that they were some of the transplants from "up north." They also don't like waiting in grocery lines.......and would try to sneak ahead. I guess if you are a retiree from the northeast, your time is more valuable than anyone else's, even though you aren't working! LOL Anyway, just my experience. I also met some nice people on various visits to Florida, but most were not from the northeast.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:08 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
Well, you could be living in a cornfield in Iowa, the constant rain of Portland or Seattle, or baking in 115 degrees temperatures in Phoenix. Be grateful that it's not worse I guess.

What makes you think people aren't happy living in Iowa or Portland or Seattle? The PNW is a very vibrant place, people there tend to love living there because of the progressive politics, clean air and access to nature. As far as Iowa, I actually wanted to live on a farm up there when I was a boy. I loved visiting my uncle and great grandpa's dairy farm in northern Florida and I wouldn't mind owning a farm when I'm older myself.

The belief that Floridians, especially South Floridians have that they're so much better for whatever reason gets really annoying. Not everyone wants to live by the beach. In fact, Florida often ranks as one of the most miserable states, with a lot of the rest of the south trailing behind. But go ahead, bash on those Iowa farmers, I just hope corn and dairy aren't part of your diet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida