Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2016, 09:14 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times

Advertisements

Overgeneralizing is usually the culprit for distain.

Is it the geographical? The politics? laws? ( which are screwy there),
The environment? The cost of living?

The cultural differences?

I personally found St. Petes charming... Ppl and architectural allure.

Solely on the law structure there, it's not a state I'd live in.

It's your perspective... So in time ... Find a place .. State, country.. That does compliment your values.. Then you'll be home...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 08:30 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olderandwiser456 View Post
What part of Florida are you in? I'm interested since your description has lots of positives: good doctors and hospitals, no need for bug repellant, no need for regular pest control. Are you near the ocean or inland. Sounds like you live in a good place.
I live in Spring Hill, Hernando County, about 45 miles north of Tampa. I do not use pest control products in my house except for a spray of raid when we see a fly or palmetto that happens to get in. I only use DEET when out in the woods. We have 3 hospitals here. If you would like a list of physicians please Google it as there are many. I am 5 miles from the Gulf. It is a nice place to be. Welcome to Hernando County, Florida

Old 08-08-2016, 08:51 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,175,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Never said Florida didn't have hiking options, just that its outdoor options are more water based than land based. Iowa has forests too, it's not just one big cornfield. Iowa also has better hiking weather in my opinion. Summer is warm but not too hot, fall is perfect. Winter isn't too bad if it's above 0 and you dress for it. I love hiking in snow. I never been hiking in Iowa but I've hiked in Minnesota, alongside waterfalls, big trees and ferns and that's a better hiking experience than anything I've had in Florida. And don't get me wrong I've had fun hiking in Florida, but nothing has ever blown me away or been all that impressive as far as hiking has been concerned.

Here's an example of hiking options in Iowa, http://www.thearmchairexplorer.com/i...lessarea02.jpg. I'd rather hike on that than on a swamp, no offence. But again I grew up down south, so I'm not impressed or interested in palm trees and tropical foliage. Tall deciduous trees and conifers are more novel and interesting to me. I saw palm trees almost every day of my life until I was 20 years old lol

Again, not bashing Florida's hiking options, I'm the kind of guy that would go for a hike anywhere, I've gone on a hike in small woods in western Texas and loved it, but I think places like Iowa deserve more credit than y'all give them.
Sounds you're bored, having a typical mindset of people who need to experience the opposite environments of what they grew up in.

Florida Hikes! | Get outdoors in Florida | Your guide to Florida's outdoors, by Sandra Friend, Florida's hiking expert, and her co-author John Keatley, covering the Florida Trail and other trails throughout Florida.

"Florida is different. Stretching 1,400 miles from the edge of the Everglades to Pensacola Beach, the Florida Trail is one of only 11 National Scenic Trails across America. It starts in a swamp, and ends on a beach. What you'll see in between will give you a new appreciation for natural Florida."

Maybe learn to take advantage of the ocean (in FL). It's far more interesting than anything land based in IA.

https://vimeo.com/103868997

Last edited by Trigger-f; 08-08-2016 at 09:02 AM..

Old 08-08-2016, 09:05 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,337,447 times
Good Lord! Stop with all the 'my place is better than your place' crap.

No, one place is not better than the other. One place is more suitable to a person than another place. God, so much bickering over absolutely Nothing!

People prefer what they want. That does not make one area better over another area. Every city/state/country has it's own bad and good points. What one person loves, another person will not.

Get over yourselves.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:58 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,335,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Good Lord! Stop with all the 'my place is better than your place' crap.

No, one place is not better than the other. One place is more suitable to a person than another place. God, so much bickering over absolutely Nothing!

People prefer what they want. That does not make one area better over another area. Every city/state/country has it's own bad and good points. What one person loves, another person will not.

Get over yourselves.
The wording of this may be a bit effusive, but this poster is not wrong. This goes hand in hand somewhat with people who move from one place to another, then complain when things aren't like they were back where they came from.

I am not fond of the area I'm living in now, but many people love it. I can usually find something positive about any place, and I've lived all over.

I feel a bit of trepidation about posting on the Florida forums because I don't live there yet, but I plan to soon, so I've been watching these threads.

One thing that seems to be common to this particular thread is the "Florida (or whichever specific city in Florida) has changed so much!" sentiment. And really, EVERYTHING has changed...very few places (especially larger towns) are much like what they were even a decade ago, and many are unrecognizable from what they were like 30 years ago.

Culture has changed, the economy, the political climate, social media, laws, and so on.

I have moved and lived all over the USA. Some places I have left and then come back to. Right now I live in a smallish university town not far outside the OKC metro. I have never cared much for the region, though I have a lot of history here. I have lived here off and on since 1978. I have moved out of state several times and for one reason or another keep winding up back here (!)

But I can say, even in a small town within a state where progress is typically slow (and this holds true for OKC as well) the place has changed a great deal.

But in many ways, it's not the place so much as (at least in my opinion) the people and culture have changed, across the country and the globe. It seems to me that things we once valued, like intelligence and basic human kindness, are more and more tossed by the wayside, even looked down upon. Seems to be a race to the lowest common denominator. And I feel media reflects that clearly.

I don't mean to sound like an old man pining for "The way it used to be" but it's undeniable that the social and economic landscape of the nation as a whole has altered in very significant ways.

Fortunately, I still believe most people are basically good and I am an expert at finding the good things in a place or situation.

I have what I think are reasonable expectations of Florida, but I also have high hopes. From an outsider's perspective, the tropical climate, the history of the state, all that coastline, etc. is very, very appealing. (I already live with several months annually of killer heat and humidity, but totally landlocked and very little natural beauty or cultural activities/fun stuff to do.) We have to try it out. I don't have any interest in trying to live in one of the big metro areas, but we sure hope to be able to check out and spend time in Orlando, Miami, Jax, Ft. Lauderdale, etc. We are especially eager to see St. Pete and St. Augustine, the Keys (when we can afford it!)

Old 08-08-2016, 11:08 AM

35,691 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89MustangGTFox View Post
Both the white native Floridians and the Cubans/Puerto Ricans can be nasty at times. They both complain about northerners and hate each other too which is sometimes funny to listen to.

I like having four seasons. Fall up north was my personal favorite. I'm not a fan of 9 months of summer, 2 of spring and 1 of fall (in January)... I miss having four changing seasons.

I miss being able to buy hockey gear at Walmart or having hockey shops around. Here I have to order everything online.

most tourist come with a "serve me attitude"- that's the main problem- other than that the natives get along just fine I am one-- and really the tourist can go home. They bring the money-- but rather we created or made something else to sell besides sunshine--- and the tourist and snowbirds can find a new destination-- we get a lot of UNHAPPY people. take el bitter with you

Old 08-08-2016, 11:10 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,337,447 times
Yes, times are/have changed. Sometimes not for the better, sadly.

Sorry for the blowup earlier.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:42 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Yes, times are/have changed. Sometimes not for the better, sadly.

Sorry for the blowup earlier.
And they will keep changing and .... not for the better. It may be slow but then again .........................

And it isn't just FL, rather the world.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:42 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,418,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Sounds you're bored, having a typical mindset of people who need to experience the opposite environments of what they grew up in.

Florida Hikes! | Get outdoors in Florida | Your guide to Florida's outdoors, by Sandra Friend, Florida's hiking expert, and her co-author John Keatley, covering the Florida Trail and other trails throughout Florida.

"Florida is different. Stretching 1,400 miles from the edge of the Everglades to Pensacola Beach, the Florida Trail is one of only 11 National Scenic Trails across America. It starts in a swamp, and ends on a beach. What you'll see in between will give you a new appreciation for natural Florida."

Maybe learn to take advantage of the ocean (in FL). It's far more interesting than anything land based in IA.

[vimeo]103868997[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/103868997
I was becoming less and less thrilled with Florida. Then I started visiting the natural areas, state parks, refuges, the Ocala Forest etc etc. Did a few days of the Ocean to Lake and joined the FTA.

Now I can't keep myself out of Corbett, Dupuis (hunting season soon-boo), Hungryland and Lox Slough, Lake County, Black Bear Scenic Byway, Lake Apopka Loop, Sugarloaf Mountain--I'll take a cypress swamp over a beach personally but I do enjoy it occasionally.

What I was looking for was right here and I didn't even see.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:48 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,876,783 times
Florida is a really polarizing state. I like living in Miami Beach but I also like living in Ohio as well because my girlfriend's family is from that state. I personally love the four seasons but Florida has the best winter and early spring weather in the USA. Florida is a melting pot and has a lot of different types of races and religions. I keep to myself so people being not being friendly does not bother me but I wish people would be more polite. Everything else about Florida is great for me but I can see why a lot of people do not like it as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida