U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2016, 12:12 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,483,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89MustangGTFox View Post
I am the only person who doesn't like Florida? I have lived in Florida for the past ten years after my parents moved us here because my dad got a job transfer. It was fine at first but I am not sure if I have gone crazy or maybe I am not a Florida guy but I honestly don't like living in Florida anymore. The population in Florida is a bit of a melting pot. Living here has allowed me to meet someone from every state- Even Alaska and Hawaii! Everyone I have ever met has one thing in common; They love Florida and think it's the best place they have ever lived and they hate their home state.

When I mention I don't like Florida, I receive the strangest looks, gasps and get told I am insane. People always ask "How can you not like Florida? It's the best state in the country!" "We have beaches and Disney World!" But I honestly don't like it. I feel like there has to be something else out there in the country or the world. Florida simply can't be the only good place. I also get told I am immature when I mention I don't like Florida. I've been told this by neighbors,my parents friends, teachers, college prof., co-workers, etc.
(I am 21 so perhaps it's because I am Young and I haven't left the state since I moved here 10 years ago).

What I hate about Florida is that it's nothing but one giant Suburb. Florida has nothing but Subdivision, after subdivision and miles and miles of close together suburban houses. A lot of these subdivisions are giant and when you are a kid without a car you are trapped in them. Even with a car they are still a pain to drive through. There aren't any lush forests to explore or any hills or creeks or mountains. It's nothing but rows of houses, golf courses and man made lakes. Also the grass is thick as hell and the only natural terrain is swap with fungus in the water. No crystal clear lakes.

When I lived in upstate New York we had our own private property on a few acres. It was great. I was able to practice hockey outside in the winter, I could hit baseballs off the Tee in the summer, fish without even leaving my property. The lakes and rivers were crystal clear (you could drink from them without worrying about getting sick or Amoebas) There were plenty of lush forests to explore, mountains. It was nice. Here there are neighbors everywhere. It sucks. I hate the lack of rural areas in Florida too.

I also hate how crowded Florida is. It takes forever to drive anywhere due to how crowded the roads are. That combined with bad traffic, bad drivers and bad roads. Florida is just so crowded. Everyday there is a car accident, everyday I am stuck in Traffic due to an accident or simply by too many cars on the road at once.

I also I am not really a bar or club going guy and I don't drink often but this seems to be a big reason people move to Florida. A lot of people say they love Florida's lax alcohol laws (especially people from the Carolinas, PA, New Jersey and the family from Utah I know) and it was a big reason for them moving here. It seems like most people I meet regardless of age the only things they want to do is drink every weekend or go to night clubs. Also what's with people in Florida sitting in their driveways drinking? (Even my parents find this strange).

I am the only who feels this way about Florida? I've meet someone from every state and it seems all them hate their home state and insist Florida is the best. But I just don't buy it.

I'm still in college so it will be a couple of years before I can leave but I hope to be a military officer and see a little bit of the world. (Though I get told I am selfish and immature for wanting too). I find myself dreaming about visiting places such as Wyoming, Montana or even Alaska. Or returning to Upstate New York or New Hampshire. (I love visiting NH as a kid).
No, you're not the only one who hates Florida, and you should not feel bad for feeling that way. You are young, still in college, and once you graduate you ought to see as much of the world as you can. That's part of being young, and you need to meet new people and new experiences as they come. You seem pretty level headed. While I love Florida, I'm also almost elderly in comparison. Maybe one day, when you're leaving somewhere else and have travelled the world, you'll come back to Florida when you can appreciate it better. I wish you a lot of joy in your journey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 03:43 AM

5,998 posts, read 6,805,107 times
No, I don't hate Florida. But after about ten years living in and out of there I hated the summer heat and humidity and the traffic, I couldn't take it anymore. So I moved to the middle of the Mohave Desert... but it's a "dry heat" or so they say... they lie.

But anyway, I'd like to take a vacation to Florida. The hotel prices in Key West, my "home" are a turn off though. Daytona in the late fall is nice. I never really missed it though.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:05 AM

9,503 posts, read 6,501,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
No, I don't hate Florida. But after about ten years living in and out of there I hated the summer heat and humidity and the traffic, I couldn't take it anymore. So I moved to the middle of the Mohave Desert... but it's a "dry heat" or so they say... they lie.

But anyway, I'd like to take a vacation to Florida. The hotel prices in Key West, my "home" are a turn off though. Daytona in the late fall is nice. I never really missed it though.
Hmm... We've stayed at the Chelsea House on Truman several times, and didn't find the hotel prices to be too bad. MUCH cheaper than some other parts of FL, such as our recent trip to Captiva. Of course, it depends on time of year. We typically take time off for those drives in Feb/Mar

Old 08-30-2016, 02:12 PM

47 posts, read 39,146 times
No you are not the only one who hates Florida. Those who are native typically have not lived in any other state. I have been in Florida for 25 years and I can't wait to leave. I am sick to death of the heat and humidity. I live only a block from the beach yet, I can't take my car and can't sit on the beach anywhere I like because of what they have allowed the condos and hotels to do. It is sooooo not the Daytona that I moved to. I have checked other locations in Florida and find that they are either too big, crowded and nasty or just like here.

I don't particularly like northerners either, but when you have dealt with the nastiness from them, you begin to understand why other are the same. Northerners typically treat southerners as if they are just plain stupid because we talk a bit slower. We frankly, I prefer to be able to understand the enunciation of the English language. I personally am moving to Idaho. I am retired so it does not matter where I live but my daughter can transfer there with her job so it will be a win win situation.

Idaho has seasons, wildlife, lush forest, mountains, so with a couple hours drive from most anywhere in the state you can find an adventure. A few more hours drive and you can watch the whales on the west coast or visit Canada or Alaska. What is not to like about that.

I have made a life here in Florida and raised my two children here. One will stay because he is a stick in the mud who does not like change and my daughter, her son and I will enjoy all there is between here and Idaho and have a lot of fun doing so.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:01 PM

240 posts, read 181,455 times
The people you so despise are not Floridians.... they are in fact out of state people who relocated to Florida. The local born folks I know are down to earth genuine people. The nasty, pushy people are almost always from New Jersey or New York. Don't hate on the locals, instead, ask those who make Florida miserable, where they come from and you will begin to understand who Florida is not the best state to make new friends.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:12 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,212,042 times
^^^ so true

Old 08-30-2016, 08:17 PM

240 posts, read 181,455 times
Correction: I meant to say >you will begin to understand why Florida is not the best state to make new friends.<

Old 08-31-2016, 06:07 PM

69 posts, read 75,830 times
The OP of this thread never did mention where in Florida he lives .I think where you live makes a big difference what you think of Florida . I live in West Pasco County , in a city called New Port Richey,for 34 years . I was 11 in a half when I moved here with my family from Queens , NY . My town used to be a nice quiet town , now it's a lot of section 8 housing in my area .A lot of people are moving here because the cost of living is cheaper , especially a lot of Ohio , Michigan , NY and Jersey .

Probably what I hate most is the high humidity and dirty FL water . Also , a lot of the food is not as good as it is up north , and FL pay sucks . There are very little unions here as well to stick up for workers rights . Personally , I think the military may be good for the OP to experience , as it may give he or she the opportunity to travel to different places to see what life is like there . I served in 2 branches and saw many different places , but wanted to stay close to family .

Old 08-31-2016, 07:15 PM

2,115 posts, read 1,361,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeboy175 View Post
The OP of this thread never did mention where in Florida he lives .I think where you live makes a big difference what you think of Florida . I live in West Pasco County , in a city called New Port Richey,for 34 years . I was 11 in a half when I moved here with my family from Queens , NY . My town used to be a nice quiet town , now it's a lot of section 8 housing in my area .A lot of people are moving here because the cost of living is cheaper , especially a lot of Ohio , Michigan , NY and Jersey .

Probably what I hate most is the high humidity and dirty FL water . Also , a lot of the food is not as good as it is up north , and FL pay sucks . There are very little unions here as well to stick up for workers rights . Personally , I think the military may be good for the OP to experience , as it may give he or she the opportunity to travel to different places to see what life is like there . I served in 2 branches and saw many different places , but wanted to stay close to family .

Tell me more about that dirty Florida water.....

Old 08-31-2016, 08:13 PM

670 posts, read 1,064,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncn View Post
haven't lost a thing in florida. No reason to go there.
lol ^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida