U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-02-2016, 09:34 PM
 
Location: SW Florida
966 posts, read 459,854 times
Reputation: 1549

Advertisements

I can't say I've ever hated anyplace I have lived. So far Florida is working out quite nicely but I don'y think I will spend the rest of my life here. Eventually the time will come for a new adventure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-02-2016, 09:39 PM
 
Location: Ft. Myers
10,781 posts, read 6,900,280 times
Reputation: 26369
I've lived in a few different States, Pennsylvania, southern California, North Carolina, and no place is perfect. But I find the people here in SW Florida very friendly and the weather makes it even better.

Yes, I do miss rolling hills and cooler weather (only sometimes), but all in all, it isn't too bad here at all. Plus, we actually have 12 months in a year here as opposed to 3 to 6 months of nice weather and then being cooped up in the house all Winter.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2016, 10:00 PM
 
6 posts, read 17,957 times
Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I've lived in a few different States, Pennsylvania, southern California, North Carolina, and no place is perfect. But I find the people here in SW Florida very friendly and the weather makes it even better.

Yes, I do miss rolling hills and cooler weather (only sometimes), but all in all, it isn't too bad here at all. Plus, we actually have 12 months in a year here as opposed to 3 to 6 months of nice weather and then being cooped up in the house all Winter.

Don
I never understood why people stay inside during the winter. When I lived up North we played backyard hockey, went sledding, rode on the back of snowmobiles and the snow made the woods look nice. Many people in my neighbor had 4x4 trucks they off roaded in the winter.

A lot of people I meet down here seem to hate winter and always talk about spending it inside which I don't understand. Is it more of a suburban vs rural thing maybe? In the suburbs there is less freedom to do things in the winter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2016, 03:04 AM
 
Location: Spain
2 posts, read 2,453 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89MustangGTFox View Post
I never understood why people stay inside during the winter. When I lived up North we played backyard hockey, went sledding, rode on the back of snowmobiles and the snow made the woods look nice. Many people in my neighbor had 4x4 trucks they off roaded in the winter.

A lot of people I meet down here seem to hate winter and always talk about spending it inside which I don't understand. Is it more of a suburban vs rural thing maybe? In the suburbs there is less freedom to do things in the winter?
Thankfully we are all different and at different stages of our lives, enjoy being young whilst you are, enjoy the outdoors and the cold, you might end up hating the cold when you get older and retire back to Florida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2016, 03:59 AM
 
6,967 posts, read 8,546,454 times
Reputation: 3355
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I wish every person who hated Florida would just leave already. I am a native Floridian who loves her home state and feels it is getting too crowded. We certainly don't need people who hate it staying here and ruining it for the rest of us.

Hopefully, OP, you can move to where you like it better. Plenty of other states to choose from.
This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2016, 05:09 AM
 
30,522 posts, read 34,392,714 times
Reputation: 25036
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I wish every person who hated Florida would just leave already. I am a native Floridian who loves her home state and feels it is getting too crowded. We certainly don't need people who hate it staying here and ruining it for the rest of us.

Hopefully, OP, you can move to where you like it better. Plenty of other states to choose from.
Did you a favor and moved. Like the op my parents immigrated to Florida when i was 12,i had no say in the matter,as i grew up i didnt hate Florida but knew i needed more climatic and geographic diversity, in my late 20s i moved up north (Montreal) and 40 years later still think it was a great move,love the mountains,love winters and love Canada.
Florida? nice place to visit friends and family for a few weeks every year but to live there full time? Nah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2016, 05:32 AM
 
6,967 posts, read 8,546,454 times
Reputation: 3355
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Did you a favor and moved. Like the op my parents immigrated to Florida when i was 12,i had no say in the matter,as i grew up i didnt hate Florida but knew i needed more climatic and geographic diversity, in my late 20s i moved up north (Montreal) and 40 years later still think it was a great move,love the mountains,love winters and love Canada.
Florida? nice place to visit friends and family for a few weeks every year but to live there full time? Nah.
Montreal is cool.
In the summer LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2016, 05:41 AM
 
34,544 posts, read 32,940,682 times
Reputation: 59489
I have never lived in Florida but have visited different areas of the state and the only place I liked was St. Augustine however, I do not like it enough to move there.
I'm sure there are many people who do not like Florida for just as many reasons as there are people and it is not gender based.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2016, 05:42 AM
PDF
 
11,345 posts, read 8,377,316 times
Reputation: 6444
I don't like it, that's why I moved. Grew up in Florida, left at age 20. Since then I've lived in California, Australia, North Carolina, and currently NYC. I feel like I was born in the wrong place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2016, 06:01 AM
 
Location: Greenbelt, MD
8,058 posts, read 5,322,656 times
Reputation: 38072
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
And maybe the nastiness as well?
Caught this on the front page. I'm an outsider here but I've spent plenty of time in Florida (family).

I believe what you say is true, especially people from NY and Washington, DC. King areas of the nasty...
I've been all over Florida it and not nearly as bad, or even bad at all, especially compared to here.

OP should see the traffic here in Washington, DC and surrounding suburbs. It's the worst in the country. I want to escape but I can't. The nastiness and rudeness of people has gotten so much worse over the years. The "seasons" here are overrated. We had no spring this year, just a lot of rain in May then jumped right into the heat and humidity of summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top