U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2016, 02:04 PM

24 posts, read 14,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89MustangGTFox View Post
I am the only person who doesn't like Florida? I have lived in Florida for the past ten years after my parents moved us here because my dad got a job transfer. It was fine at first but I am not sure if I have gone crazy or maybe I am not a Florida guy but I honestly don't like living in Florida anymore. The population in Florida is a bit of a melting pot. Living here has allowed me to meet someone from every state- Even Alaska and Hawaii! Everyone I have ever met has one thing in common; They love Florida and think it's the best place they have ever lived and they hate their home state.

When I mention I don't like Florida, I receive the strangest looks, gasps and get told I am insane. People always ask "How can you not like Florida? It's the best state in the country!" "We have beaches and Disney World!" But I honestly don't like it. I feel like there has to be something else out there in the country or the world. Florida simply can't be the only good place. I also get told I am immature when I mention I don't like Florida. I've been told this by neighbors,my parents friends, teachers, college prof., co-workers, etc.
(I am 21 so perhaps it's because I am Young and I haven't left the state since I moved here 10 years ago).

What I hate about Florida is that it's nothing but one giant Suburb. Florida has nothing but Subdivision, after subdivision and miles and miles of close together suburban houses. A lot of these subdivisions are giant and when you are a kid without a car you are trapped in them. Even with a car they are still a pain to drive through. There aren't any lush forests to explore or any hills or creeks or mountains. It's nothing but rows of houses, golf courses and man made lakes. Also the grass is thick as hell and the only natural terrain is swap with fungus in the water. No crystal clear lakes.

When I lived in upstate New York we had our own private property on a few acres. It was great. I was able to practice hockey outside in the winter, I could hit baseballs off the Tee in the summer, fish without even leaving my property. The lakes and rivers were crystal clear (you could drink from them without worrying about getting sick or Amoebas) There were plenty of lush forests to explore, mountains. It was nice. Here there are neighbors everywhere. It sucks. I hate the lack of rural areas in Florida too.

I also hate how crowded Florida is. It takes forever to drive anywhere due to how crowded the roads are. That combined with bad traffic, bad drivers and bad roads. Florida is just so crowded. Everyday there is a car accident, everyday I am stuck in Traffic due to an accident or simply by too many cars on the road at once.

I also I am not really a bar or club going guy and I don't drink often but this seems to be a big reason people move to Florida. A lot of people say they love Florida's lax alcohol laws (especially people from the Carolinas, PA, New Jersey and the family from Utah I know) and it was a big reason for them moving here. It seems like most people I meet regardless of age the only things they want to do is drink every weekend or go to night clubs. Also what's with people in Florida sitting in their driveways drinking? (Even my parents find this strange).

I am the only who feels this way about Florida? I've meet someone from every state and it seems all them hate their home state and insist Florida is the best. But I just don't buy it.

I'm still in college so it will be a couple of years before I can leave but I hope to be a military officer and see a little bit of the world. (Though I get told I am selfish and immature for wanting too). I find myself dreaming about visiting places such as Wyoming, Montana or even Alaska. Or returning to Upstate New York or New Hampshire. (I love visiting NH as a kid).
I agree with you, I moved here about a little over a year ago and I absolutely dislike everything about Florida. I feel there is no culture, food is beyond disgusting. For me and my family I am leaving this place as soon as I am able to. Don't get me wrong Florida is for other people they love it good for them, I just find it here flat hot and lacking culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 03:34 PM

12,135 posts, read 13,203,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstevens007 View Post
I agree with you, I moved here about a little over a year ago and I absolutely dislike everything about Florida. I feel there is no culture, food is beyond disgusting. For me and my family I am leaving this place as soon as I am able to. Don't get me wrong Florida is for other people they love it good for them, I just find it here flat hot and lacking culture.
What culture are you not finding?

As to food - do you mean restaurants?

Old 09-23-2016, 04:49 PM

240 posts, read 181,455 times
Quote:
I agree with you, I moved here about a little over a year ago and I absolutely dislike everything about Florida.
Like others have suggested the locals known as "Floridians" are decent folks. The so called "trash" or "undesirables" are almost always out of state people that moved TO Florida.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:50 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,462,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
What culture are you not finding?

As to food - do you mean restaurants?
Even you know that culture is not something that exists in FL.

Old 09-24-2016, 01:45 AM

133 posts, read 89,177 times
Quote:
Ok, bye!

Old 09-24-2016, 06:12 AM

9,506 posts, read 6,501,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Yeah, but food? If we're talking restaurants, FL is FULL of quality stuff.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Please define this culture. Theater? Museums? Musical events? Dining options? Sports venues?

Old 09-24-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Yeah, but food? If we're talking restaurants, FL is FULL of quality stuff.
I wonder what "culture" they had where hey came from that they dont find here. These posters never say what it is.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:30 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,462,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I wonder what "culture" they had where hey came from that they dont find here. These posters never say what it is.
People move to FL from places that have a sense of community. FL doesn't have that. If you're talking culture as in food, museums, etc. then yeah sure Florida has that. It's basically impossible for newer places in the USA to have local culture...too transient as well.

Even the most pro-Florida people will admit that the state has no identity. Whatever local culture it had in the first place doesn't exist now.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
People move to FL from places that have a sense of community. FL doesn't have that. If you're talking culture as in food, museums, etc. then yeah sure Florida has that. It's basically impossible for newer places in the USA to have local culture...too transient as well.

Even the most pro-Florida people will admit that the state has no identity. Whatever local culture it had in the first place doesn't exist now.
Identity? Its "Florida - the sunshine state".

Tell me what the "identity" of Kansas is? Utah?

As far as "local culture" you wont find it any of it in the major cities. You need to go to places like Brooksville, Live Oak, Milton, hundreds of other places in the state but not the cities.

Newer places? FL history goes back 14,000 years when native Americans came.

For instance, what "local culture" would you find in Queens NY?

So what is this "culture" thing you speak of?

Where I live, with 100,000 other people, certainly has a sense of community. People are very active here in support of how our local government is run Board of County Commissioners
There are religious groups, groups for people from various states, groups for people of various ethnicities, groups dealing with hobbies, automobile enthusiasts. gardening clubs, The Hernando Symphony Orchestra, all kinds of "cultural activities".

So tell me more about the lack of culture in FL?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida