U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 06:01 AM

10,783 posts, read 6,900,280 times

Advertisements

That is why we have 50 States, not every place is for every one. Some people love California, we could not get out of there fast enough. Different strokes for different folks.

You also can't paint all of Florida with the same brush. I used to have the entire State as my territory, so I got to spend a lot of time in every corner of it. I would not live in Miami for all the money in the world, and the Panhandle holds no interest for me. We settled in Ft Myers because we like the landscape and find the people to be very friendly and a nice mix from all over.

But, that is just us.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 06:54 AM

1,871 posts, read 882,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89MustangGTFox View Post
I am the only person who doesn't like Florida? I have lived in Florida for the past ten years after my parents moved us here because my dad got a job transfer. It was fine at first but I am not sure if I have gone crazy or maybe I am not a Florida guy but I honestly don't like living in Florida anymore. The population in Florida is a bit of a melting pot. Living here has allowed me to meet someone from every state- Even Alaska and Hawaii! Everyone I have ever met has one thing in common; They love Florida and think it's the best place they have ever lived and they hate their home state.

When I mention I don't like Florida, I receive the strangest looks, gasps and get told I am insane. People always ask "How can you not like Florida? It's the best state in the country!" "We have beaches and Disney World!" But I honestly don't like it. I feel like there has to be something else out there in the country or the world. Florida simply can't be the only good place. I also get told I am immature when I mention I don't like Florida. I've been told this by neighbors,my parents friends, teachers, college prof., co-workers, etc.
(I am 21 so perhaps it's because I am Young and I haven't left the state since I moved here 10 years ago).

What I hate about Florida is that it's nothing but one giant Suburb. Florida has nothing but Subdivision, after subdivision and miles and miles of close together suburban houses. A lot of these subdivisions are giant and when you are a kid without a car you are trapped in them. Even with a car they are still a pain to drive through. There aren't any lush forests to explore or any hills or creeks or mountains. It's nothing but rows of houses, golf courses and man made lakes. Also the grass is thick as hell and the only natural terrain is swap with fungus in the water. No crystal clear lakes.

When I lived in upstate New York we had our own private property on a few acres. It was great. I was able to practice hockey outside in the winter, I could hit baseballs off the Tee in the summer, fish without even leaving my property. The lakes and rivers were crystal clear (you could drink from them without worrying about getting sick or Amoebas) There were plenty of lush forests to explore, mountains. It was nice. Here there are neighbors everywhere. It sucks. I hate the lack of rural areas in Florida too.

I also hate how crowded Florida is. It takes forever to drive anywhere due to how crowded the roads are. That combined with bad traffic, bad drivers and bad roads. Florida is just so crowded. Everyday there is a car accident, everyday I am stuck in Traffic due to an accident or simply by too many cars on the road at once.

I also I am not really a bar or club going guy and I don't drink often but this seems to be a big reason people move to Florida. A lot of people say they love Florida's lax alcohol laws (especially people from the Carolinas, PA, New Jersey and the family from Utah I know) and it was a big reason for them moving here. It seems like most people I meet regardless of age the only things they want to do is drink every weekend or go to night clubs. Also what's with people in Florida sitting in their driveways drinking? (Even my parents find this strange).

I am the only who feels this way about Florida? I've meet someone from every state and it seems all them hate their home state and insist Florida is the best. But I just don't buy it.

I'm still in college so it will be a couple of years before I can leave but I hope to be a military officer and see a little bit of the world. (Though I get told I am selfish and immature for wanting too). I find myself dreaming about visiting places such as Wyoming, Montana or even Alaska. Or returning to Upstate New York or New Hampshire. (I love visiting NH as a kid).

Well, you do sound like an immature kid who is confusing a suburban area where you live with the entire massive State of Florida. Congrats. It's ok to not like it, but if you are this irrational and naive, you may not like it anywhere. Or you just need to move into the mountains. But your assertions that Florida doesn't have crystal clear rivers, forests, rural living, fishing in the backyard, etc... it's just ridiculous. Your statement is like saying that you live in Brooklyn and think New York State is terrible because it's nothing but city.... Do you not see that?

Florida is one giant suburb? Are you kidding? You are 21, not 4, you are too old to be that naive. If you are really in college, consider a critical thinking course.

Last edited by BNBR; 08-03-2016 at 07:07 AM..

Old 08-03-2016, 07:18 AM

12,135 posts, read 11,405,164 times
There are lots of people who dont like FL for a variety of reasons. It appears that you havent seen much of FL outside of your local area. Perhaps you need to get in your car and see what else is in this state.
There are lush forests but national and state. There are more rural areas then urban. Your comment about going into the military is a great idea. The military will, as has Florida, introduce you to people from all over the U.S. all living under the same situation. It is also a good idea to visit other states. We have a big country out there ready for you to explore and enjoy. You are young and now is one of the better times in your life to broaden your horizons.

Quote:
I am the only person who doesn't like Florida? I have lived in Florida for the past ten years after my parents moved us here because my dad got a job transfer. It was fine at first but I am not sure if I have gone crazy or maybe I am not a Florida guy but I honestly don't like living in Florida anymore. The population in Florida is a bit of a melting pot. Living here has allowed me to meet someone from every state- Even Alaska and Hawaii! Everyone I have ever met has one thing in common; They love Florida and think it's the best place they have ever lived and they hate their home state.

SNIP.........................

Old 08-03-2016, 09:35 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
2,248 posts, read 925,372 times
Quote:

When I mention I don't like Florida, I receive the strangest looks, gasps and get told I am insane. People always ask "How can you not like Florida? It's the best state in the country!" "We have beaches and Disney World!" But I honestly don't like it. I feel like there has to be something else out there in the country or the world. Florida simply can't be the only good place. I also get told I am immature when I mention I don't like Florida. I've been told this by neighbors,my parents friends, teachers, college prof., co-workers, etc.
(I am 21 so perhaps it's because I am Young and I haven't left the state since I moved here 10 years ago).

What I hate about Florida is that it's nothing but one giant Suburb. Florida has nothing but Subdivision, after subdivision and miles and miles of close together suburban houses. A lot of these subdivisions are giant and when you are a kid without a car you are trapped in them. Even with a car they are still a pain to drive through. There aren't any lush forests to explore or any hills or creeks or mountains. It's nothing but rows of houses, golf courses and man made lakes. Also the grass is thick as hell and the only natural terrain is swap with fungus in the water. No crystal clear lakes.

When I lived in upstate New York we had our own private property on a few acres. It was great. I was able to practice hockey outside in the winter, I could hit baseballs off the Tee in the summer, fish without even leaving my property. The lakes and rivers were crystal clear (you could drink from them without worrying about getting sick or Amoebas) There were plenty of lush forests to explore, mountains. It was nice. Here there are neighbors everywhere. It sucks. I hate the lack of rural areas in Florida too.

I also hate how crowded Florida is. It takes forever to drive anywhere due to how crowded the roads are. That combined with bad traffic, bad drivers and bad roads. Florida is just so crowded. Everyday there is a car accident, everyday I am stuck in Traffic due to an accident or simply by too many cars on the road at once.

I also I am not really a bar or club going guy and I don't drink often but this seems to be a big reason people move to Florida. A lot of people say they love Florida's lax alcohol laws (especially people from the Carolinas, PA, New Jersey and the family from Utah I know) and it was a big reason for them moving here. It seems like most people I meet regardless of age the only things they want to do is drink every weekend or go to night clubs. Also what's with people in Florida sitting in their driveways drinking? (Even my parents find this strange).

I am the only who feels this way about Florida? I've meet someone from every state and it seems all them hate their home state and insist Florida is the best. But I just don't buy it.

I'm still in college so it will be a couple of years before I can leave but I hope to be a military officer and see a little bit of the world. (Though I get told I am selfish and immature for wanting too). I find myself dreaming about visiting places such as Wyoming, Montana or even Alaska. Or returning to Upstate New York or New Hampshire. (I love visiting NH as a kid).
There is a difference when someone chooses to move to Florida as opposed to someone that is brought here because their parents choose to live here.

It sounds as though you REALLY miss the idyllic childhood you left behind when your parents moved the family to Florida.

I think it is NOT immature to feel the way you have a right to feel. If you want to joint the military, that is your choice to make and no one should call you selfish (what?!?!) or immature for wanting to see the world. The way the military recruits on TV, they make it sound like it is a dream job to see the world while fighting for your country. You will figure out if it is the life for you once you get through basic training. Get into shape now.

Also, remember, those hating their 'home' state is why they chose to move here. Of course they are going to think that Florida is better than their home state. If they didn't, they wouldn't have moved

Now You have the choice of moving to where You feel you belong. Good Luck in your endeavors and I hope you find your idyllic place

Old 08-03-2016, 09:37 AM

2,057 posts, read 1,902,975 times
If it's any consolation we don't like it either. Not for the reasons you mentioned. Lots of people don't like it here, and lots do. For us, it's what we can afford. Hawaii is too expensive for our current budget, so we live where we do. It's Ok because even though we dislike Florida, as odd as this sounds, we love St Pete. Oh, it's got it's problems, what place doesn't? But it's not rigidly Republican. If I live to be 120 I will never live someplace like that again. We were miserable in Daytona, and this place is a good fit for us at this point in time.

The fact that Florida is populated by people from somewhere else is a little difficult. There's no sense of here, here. People bring their own culture w/ them, and other than the water and beaches and all that revolves around, there's not much that says "Florida".

I don't see the people you see that hate their home state. The people I that see seem to love their home state, always complain about how much better things were done there, and I constantly wonder why they moved here if they're so miserable? But these Yankees from the east coast, I tell you, they would be miserable anywhere. They're not happy unless they're complaining and miserable. For them, that's their cultural norm.

Not having a native Florida culture is a minor issue, you get used to it to a degree. It's a lot better than living where you don't like the culture and it doesn't like you. I like places like Hawaii, New Mexico, etc. Places like that have a vibrant culture all their own. But I don't want to live in New Mexico because the winters are too cold for me in most of the state. Here it's stifling hot and not fun in the heat of the summers, but it beats freezing, and the fall and winter, if you want to call it a winter, is great. We all have to make compromises and live within our means, and put up w/ stuff that we don't like, just like every other human on earth,

Last edited by smarino; 08-03-2016 at 09:49 AM..

Old 08-03-2016, 09:39 AM

6 posts, read 17,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
There are lots of people who dont like FL for a variety of reasons. It appears that you havent seen much of FL outside of your local area. Perhaps you need to get in your car and see what else is in this state.
There are lush forests but national and state. There are more rural areas then urban. Your comment about going into the military is a great idea. The military will, as has Florida, introduce you to people from all over the U.S. all living under the same situation. It is also a good idea to visit other states. We have a big country out there ready for you to explore and enjoy. You are young and now is one of the better times in your life to broaden your horizons.
I've seen Jacksonsville, Orlando, St Augustine, Tampa, Clearwater/St. Pete, Miami, etc. I kind of all seems the same to me. I guess I'm just not the type of person who goes for these type of towns. St. Augustine was the nicest though.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:52 AM

2,057 posts, read 1,902,975 times
Well, you could be living in a cornfield in Iowa, the constant rain of Portland or Seattle, or baking in 115 degrees temperatures in Phoenix. Be grateful that it's not worse I guess.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:53 AM

923 posts, read 519,700 times
It's not immature of you at all man. I felt the same way about the south as you do. I hated the people, traffic, and subdivision after subdivision. So I did what you are considered, joined the military. I traveled to the Middle East, Korea, Germany, and Ft Drum NY (near Watertown NY) and fell in love with upstate NY. Decided to stay up here after I got out of the military. I'm currently finishing my bachelors degree from a university in Rochester and then moving back near Watertown next summer. Can't beat having Lake Ontario a few minutes away and being able to be on the top of one of the Adirondack mountains in less than 2 hours. Sure upstate has its problems but give me upstate NY over Florida any day.

And one more thing. Do not EVER let someone tell you that you are being selfish or neive because you want to join the military. That is one of the most selfless things anyone can do. Best of luck to you!

Old 08-03-2016, 09:55 AM

6 posts, read 17,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
There is a difference when someone chooses to move to Florida as opposed to someone that is brought here because their parents choose to live here.

It sounds as though you REALLY miss the idyllic childhood you left behind when your parents moved the family to Florida.

I think it is NOT immature to feel the way you have a right to feel. If you want to joint the military, that is your choice to make and no one should call you selfish (what?!?!) or immature for wanting to see the world. The way the military recruits on TV, they make it sound like it is a dream job to see the world while fighting for your country. You will figure out if it is the life for you once you get through basic training. Get into shape now.

Also, remember, those hating their 'home' state is why they chose to move here. Of course they are going to think that Florida is better than their home state. If they didn't, they wouldn't have moved

Now You have the choice of moving to where You feel you belong. Good Luck in your endeavors and I hope you find your idyllic place
I'm taking ROTC as an elective right now in college. (Non-contracted, no scholarship). Some of my parents friends were over a few months ago for BBQ type thing asked about my after college plans and career. I told them I was hoping for a commission through ROTC. Three different couples insisted I was being selfish for wanting to join the military and leave my family behind. I've been told this by a few other random people too.

My parents support my decision to join the military but my dad wants me to go into sales like he does. So do his co-workers (they sometimes joke that they will have a desk ready for me after college).

Personally my dream job is to become a state trooper for the NYSP or become New Hampshire State Police. I've always felt a calling to serve and help people. (NYSP had a good effect on me as a kid. They were always friendly. Plus those Dodge Chargers are cool).

Originally I was leaning towards Armor or MP officer but lately Helicopters have been starting to interest me a lot. I've started reading books about Helicopter Pilots in Vietnam, etc. Maybe an Aviation Officer would be the right fit. Not sure yet though.

PS I started taking Boxing Lessons to get into shape. I love it so far. I kind of want to compete as an AM. No where near ready though.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:02 AM

8,020 posts, read 5,042,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I wish every person who hated Florida would just leave already. I am a native Floridian who loves her home state and feels it is getting too crowded. We certainly don't need people who hate it staying here and ruining it for the rest of us.

Hopefully, OP, you can move to where you like it better. Plenty of other states to choose from.
Maybe the OP has what I would figure is the natural urge of the young to flee the nest, see the world, and decide where in the world he'd be happiest-it's got to be anywhere else besides where he grew up. Many of the reasons he gives for wanting to leave are valid, IMO, others I'd say a little experience elsewhere might change his mind or at least put his observations into a better perspective. He is young, has plans and opportunities to go anywhere he wants, and he hopefully will discover the location that's best for him as he travels and discovers what is out there.

As for the people that move to FL figuring that warm weather, proximity to beaches and Disney will fix all their problems, find they don't like it, can't escape their problems or themselves by moving to FL, and spend their time scapegoating and bashing the state, I would agree with you totally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida