U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2017, 12:44 PM

10,575 posts, read 10,809,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
Yes, next to a man made lake zero lot line, not Tahoe or Big Bear by a longshot.
Wrong again. Try the intercoastal of Daytona or Melbourne on a near acre.. hell even oceanfront in some cases
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
We are talking Taxes, but since you brought it up it's no surprise to see SoFla on the list. San Diego is not on the list. I rest my case.
Cfl isn't and SD prob has more inequality than it does.

South fl blows imo and central fl offers a good mix of everything. Orlando and Tampa have major sports and Orlando is on par with Vegas in terms of entertainment globally,, albeit more family focused

Old 03-26-2017, 01:37 PM

491 posts, read 271,256 times
Quote:
My Wife and I lived in FL, mainly SoFla for a combined 30+ years, we moved to SoCal over a year go and what you stated is quite true. People here are a lot more active outdoors, the beaches, State Parks and amount of people I see riding bikes and exercising is ten fold over what I saw in SoFla on a daily basis. Even if not exercising, we rarely would see our neighbors out at all, walking around our community getting some exercise or being somewhat active. They would just sit in the house and order Dominoes.

Bugs, there are some but nothing like Florida at all, there are mosquitoes here but they are rare, I have not see one over the year I have been here. I have not seen a single roach yet either, even with monthly spraying and treating our lawn and house I would still see them.

Whether or not FL has a slower pace tends to apply where you live there, I would not say SoFla applies to that, but other parts of FL do, much like here, where I live in North County San Diego is considered "Slower Paced", but I'm only 30 miles or so from Downtown SD and closer to LA and the OC should choose to go there if we want.
You can just tell by the types of activities you can do in California and the West that the people are more interested in being active. To me, it's just the natural process of living in such a dynamic environment. And perhaps there's also a bias, because people who tend to like being outdoors, move to places where they can do that. So perhaps that's why there may be outdoors-y people. After all, I'm sure there are plenty of Californians that stay indoors all the time too.

Old 03-26-2017, 01:38 PM

786 posts, read 491,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Wrong again. Try the intercoastal of Daytona or Melbourne on a near acre.. hell even oceanfront in some cases
Sorry I'm not seeing it and to be clear I'm talking water front, like right against the Ocean or with a dock.

I found one that is 1.7M in Melbourne, where are you going to work there to afford that?

6495 N Highway 1, Melbourne, FL 32940 - realtor.com®

The rest, not a plethora.

Melbourne, FL Real Estate - Melbourne Homes for Sale - realtor.com®

Old 03-26-2017, 01:39 PM

491 posts, read 271,256 times
Quote:

South fl blows imo and central fl offers a good mix of everything. Orlando and Tampa have major sports and Orlando is on par with Vegas in terms of entertainment globally,, albeit more family focused
I wish Orlando would be more like Las Vegas in terms of offerings. I feel like Las Vegas does a better job in promoting bigger and amazing looking things and landmarks than Orlando does. Orlando needs bigger and better landmarks. The Las Vegas Strip just looks so much better than anything in Orlando. It's iconic.

Old 03-26-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:

Central FL has it's perks, but we did not want to live there. Tampa is also in that same boat.

SoFla is visually more appealing than Orlando, the proximity to the beaches is a big plus.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Sorry I'm not seeing it and to be clear I'm talking water front, like right against the Ocean or with a dock.

I found one that is 1.7M in Melbourne, where are you going to work there to afford that?

6495 N Highway 1, Melbourne, FL 32940 - realtor.com®

The rest, not a plethora.

Melbourne, FL Real Estate - Melbourne Homes for Sale - realtor.com®
There were better deals a few years ago.... here's some links nonetheless at 1.2 million or less

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...t/12_zm/0_mmm/ - $800K on the intercoastal!

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...t/12_zm/0_mmm/

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...t/12_zm/0_mmm/ - oceanfront under 1.2 million, not an old house either

As for the jobs, lawyers and doctors can afford it in FL. In cali, not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearlevel View Post
I wish Orlando would be more like Las Vegas in terms of offerings. I feel like Las Vegas does a better job in promoting bigger and amazing looking things and landmarks than Orlando does. Orlando needs bigger and better landmarks. The Las Vegas Strip just looks so much better than anything in Orlando. It's iconic.
I-drive is getting there, and Orlando beat out NYC a few years ago as the most visited city in the country. Vegas wasn't even in competition

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/b...stination.html

https://skift.com/2014/04/21/orlando...on-in-the-u-s/

Old 03-26-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
There were better deals a few years ago.... here's some links nonetheless at 1.2 million or less

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...t/12_zm/0_mmm/ - $800K on the intercoastal!

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...t/12_zm/0_mmm/ - oceanfront under 1.2 million, not an old house either

As for the jobs, lawyers and doctors can afford it in FL. In cali, not so much.
Years ago isn't now though is it? Not bad but it's not high demand there that much is obvious.

1,121 days or 3 years on the market and no takers? Obviously isn't enough Doctors or Lawyers there to buy these homes then. If that was in SoFla it would be gone in a few days, location is everything.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:45 PM

12,135 posts, read 13,217,039 times
Quote:
Yes, next to a man made lake zero lot line, not Tahoe or Big Bear by a longshot.

CA is a big state, you seem to forget that. You are comparing the cheap less desirable areas of FL vs the more desirable and expensive areas of CA, not really Apples to Apples.
FL is also a big state. Seems that a lot of people think FL consists of Orlando and south FL.

30+ years ago when we started planning our relocation any place south of FT Pierce was quickly eliminated from our consideration as it was already crowded by then.

CA is a nice place if it suits your needs.

I wonder if people who left FL haunt the CA forums trying to justify their choice.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Years ago isn't now though is it? Not bad but it's not high demand there that much is obvious.

1,121 days or 3 years on the market and no takers? Obviously isn't enough Doctors or Lawyers there to buy these homes then. If that was in SoFla it would be gone in a few days, location is everything.
Yup, and central FL will remain a gem for people who want a little quieter of a lifestyle, but still have access to the water and the world-class attractions in Orlando.

Being a $200K doctor or lawyer in FL is a lot different than being a $200K one in Cali. Professionals are middle-class in CA, upper-class in FL. The only people who can afford mansions in cali work in hollywood or silicon valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida