U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-29-2017, 12:53 PM
 
Location: North County San Diego Area
786 posts, read 489,792 times
Reputation: 724

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
How did you survive 30 years "combined" here?
Lots of K-Y Jelly, it's in your Welcome to FL Careers Starter Kit, though it's labeled with only graphics of a Orange with a smiley face wearing a sun glasses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-29-2017, 05:32 PM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,205,272 times
Reputation: 6009
Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
Lots of K-Y Jelly, it's in your Welcome to FL Careers Starter Kit, though it's labeled with only graphics of a Orange with a smiley face wearing a sun glasses.
Another interesting point. My neighbor on one side of me owned/operated a tire/auto center in the NE. The costs of doing business, taxes, salaries, regulatory costs, rent, insurance, etc forced him to close putting more than a dozen people out of work. He sold the house (another money drain), moved to FL and bought a tire/auto center. franchise. He employees 11 people. His business is doing great and he once told me coming to FL was the 'best idea' he ever had. Another guy is a dentist from Queens, NY. Happy as a clam in mud. Down the block is a fellow who came here and started a "man and a mower" service in 1972. Now he owns Paff Landscaping which does road medians and shoulders for local counties and the state. They also do commercial work and some residential. The guy has money he hasnt folded yet. I came to FL with no job at all. So did my wife. Today she is a regional manager for one of a multi unit franchiser of one of the big fast food chains. I was at work 2 weeks after starting to look. I started as a clerk in a 3 lawyer/20 or so employee firm. One of the partners left after a tiff with the other 2. I went with him and I left him after 11 years to explore other possibilities. I was, by that time, working in the Human Relations/Employee Benefits department. Today he is the managing partner of one of the biggest firms in the country. His wife and 4 sons are attorneys with the firm. We have friends who are still in Orlando. They started about the same time at Disney. She was a housekeeper and he was a fleet mechanic. They met at a company employee function and married. She recently retired from her position as Housekeeping Director. The job is now posted on their website. He retired as a VP of Disney Transport a few years ago. The fleet was (and probably still is) the third largest fleet of any Florida transportation system. At the time he left only Jacksonville and Miami had larger systems.

I can relate dozens of success stories of people who relocated to FL. All kinds of occupations. The thing about FL is the opportunities are there if you have the smarts to see them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2017, 06:57 PM
 
10,576 posts, read 10,796,398 times
Reputation: 5220
Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
Lots of K-Y Jelly, it's in your Welcome to FL Careers Starter Kit, though it's labeled with only graphics of a Orange with a smiley face wearing a sun glasses.
Sounds like another Florida statistic that didn't do their homework
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2017, 07:19 PM
 
Location: North County San Diego Area
786 posts, read 489,792 times
Reputation: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Another interesting point. My neighbor on one side of me owned/operated a tire/auto center in the NE. The costs of doing business, taxes, salaries, regulatory costs, rent, insurance, etc forced him to close putting more than a dozen people out of work. He sold the house (another money drain), moved to FL and bought a tire/auto center. franchise. He employees 11 people. His business is doing great and he once told me coming to FL was the 'best idea' he ever had. Another guy is a dentist from Queens, NY. Happy as a clam in mud. Down the block is a fellow who came here and started a "man and a mower" service in 1972. Now he owns Paff Landscaping which does road medians and shoulders for local counties and the state. They also do commercial work and some residential. The guy has money he hasnt folded yet. I came to FL with no job at all. So did my wife. Today she is a regional manager for one of a multi unit franchiser of one of the big fast food chains. I was at work 2 weeks after starting to look. I started as a clerk in a 3 lawyer/20 or so employee firm. One of the partners left after a tiff with the other 2. I went with him and I left him after 11 years to explore other possibilities. I was, by that time, working in the Human Relations/Employee Benefits department. Today he is the managing partner of one of the biggest firms in the country. His wife and 4 sons are attorneys with the firm. We have friends who are still in Orlando. They started about the same time at Disney. She was a housekeeper and he was a fleet mechanic. They met at a company employee function and married. She recently retired from her position as Housekeeping Director. The job is now posted on their website. He retired as a VP of Disney Transport a few years ago. The fleet was (and probably still is) the third largest fleet of any Florida transportation system. At the time he left only Jacksonville and Miami had larger systems.

I can relate dozens of success stories of people who relocated to FL. All kinds of occupations. The thing about FL is the opportunities are there if you have the smarts to see them.
A friend of mine just told me today that his Sister, who is a CPA, still cannot find a job in SoFla, to make matters worse her Husband lost his job 2 weeks ago and is working contract out of state. They have 3 kids and are renting a big house and only moved to the area 3 years ago. CPA's can find jobs about anywhere, but she is having zero luck finding a job in her field which does not surprise me at all. She has been looking for over a year and half, was on maternity prior to that. They are no looking to get out of FL but she has family there which will make it a hard sell.

Sure there are people there who have businesses and are successful that exists anywhere, never said there are zero jobs there and people with no jobs, you took my point out of context.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2017, 07:21 PM
 
Location: North County San Diego Area
786 posts, read 489,792 times
Reputation: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Sounds like another Florida statistic that didn't do their homework



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWRyj5cHIQA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2017, 04:14 AM
 
10,576 posts, read 10,796,398 times
Reputation: 5220
Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
A friend of mine just told me today that his Sister, who is a CPA, still cannot find a job in SoFla, to make matters worse her Husband lost his job 2 weeks ago and is working contract out of state. They have 3 kids and are renting a big house and only moved to the area 3 years ago. CPA's can find jobs about anywhere, but she is having zero luck finding a job in her field which does not surprise me at all. She has been looking for over a year and half, was on maternity prior to that. They are no looking to get out of FL but she has family there which will make it a hard sell.

Sure there are people there who have businesses and are successful that exists anywhere, never said there are zero jobs there and people with no jobs, you took my point out of context.
South fl =/= fl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2017, 02:25 PM
 
21,112 posts, read 30,189,612 times
Reputation: 19474
Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
Y
I suppose I grimace often when I read about Rick Scott and his attempt to lure jobs from here to FL, which I was doing last year at this time and years prior, seems the CA vs FL feud goes far beyond C-D. In between the feud Texas is dropped a few times as the 3rd player. It's good to see Rick Scott trying, but I don't think he is too successful in luring any company from here.
The problem is the approach into who the real competition is...i.e. not California and Texas. Florida does not possess the resident skill set to attract high tech employers and instead should probably focus on the manufacturing sector like our neighbors to the north in GA, SC and AL have been successful at doing over the past umpteen years. While not high salary range positions, typically they handily beat out the glut of part-time/no benefits service sector jobs that have been driving much of the "job growth" here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2017, 10:46 PM
 
Location: Scottsdale
1,100 posts, read 539,538 times
Reputation: 1964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I moved out of Florida and while I did like it overall but the people got to me, it is a rather rude place South Florida and Miami, I am from old money I did not like the fake flashy new people here but the weather in the winter cannot be beat in Florida. Florida is for a special of person that can handle the strangeness of the state.
That Miami traffic was horrifying. I have since moved to Phoenix and traffic in Scottsdale is very tame compared to Miami. I-95, the Turnkpike, Palmetto Expressway, or Dolphin Expressway can be nightmarish during rush hour.

Culturally, Miami is also more like Latin America. I felt out of place as a guy who grew up in rural AZ.
The only part of Florida I liked was Orlando. I know people from HS in AZ who actually like Orlando.

This is one of the best videos about Miami. I found it on Youtube when I was still working near MIA.
It's a good description of Miami's problems.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVRBfEtpBuU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2017, 09:38 AM
 
218 posts, read 129,554 times
Reputation: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
That Miami traffic was horrifying. I have since moved to Phoenix and traffic in Scottsdale is very tame compared to Miami. I-95, the Turnkpike, Palmetto Expressway, or Dolphin Expressway can be nightmarish during rush hour.

Culturally, Miami is also more like Latin America. I felt out of place as a guy who grew up in rural AZ.
The only part of Florida I liked was Orlando. I know people from HS in AZ who actually like Orlando.

This is one of the best videos about Miami. I found it on Youtube when I was still working near MIA.
It's a good description of Miami's problems.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVRBfEtpBuU
Yep, that's why I left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2017, 01:39 PM
 
17,423 posts, read 10,504,982 times
Reputation: 8319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrienlester View Post
Yep, that's why I left.
Part of the problem is using Miami, SE FL to represent the whole State and it doesn't. It would be like using the BAY (SF) area in CA, which is an expensive mess, or South LA. Every State has bad areas. The smart people look to other areas in the State and ... find them. Others just leave, which in many cases is good both for the person and the State. negative attitudes impact both. I Grew up in CA and while I might move back it would not be to where most people move now as I know the problems and how much the areas have deteriorated in the last 30 years or so.Our own attitude is the real deciding factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:01 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top