U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:35 AM

29 posts, read 2,165 times

Advertisements

You are soooo not alone! I'm a Florida native, born and raised in Orlando. I don't hate it, but I certainly do not like it! I have traveled to other parts of the US and four other countries besides and you are not selfish in wanting to explore. You're young, vibrant and know what you like, go do it!! I'm 40 and can only wish that I had the gumption (and the cash of course) at your age to get the heck out of here and explore more. The heat is oppressive, the people coming from other places are rude and the older population here have somehow transformed into these mean creatures that sap the life out of everyone they meet. Of course not all of them, but most.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to see the world, find a place that you actually enjoy and make a life there, whether it is here in the US or in another country. From a Floridian to a transplant, go where your heart (and wallet/job) takes you. Enjoy yourself and love being young and free...it doesn't last...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:03 AM

12,753 posts, read 6,529,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGill View Post
You are soooo not alone! I'm a Florida native, born and raised in Orlando. I don't hate it, but I certainly do not like it! I have traveled to other parts of the US and four other countries besides and you are not selfish in wanting to explore. You're young, vibrant and know what you like, go do it!! I'm 40 and can only wish that I had the gumption (and the cash of course) at your age to get the heck out of here and explore more. The heat is oppressive, the people coming from other places are rude and the older population here have somehow transformed into these mean creatures that sap the life out of everyone they meet. Of course not all of them, but most.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to see the world, find a place that you actually enjoy and make a life there, whether it is here in the US or in another country. From a Floridian to a transplant, go where your heart (and wallet/job) takes you. Enjoy yourself and love being young and free...it doesn't last...
Yes, while you can travel and experience all that you can. When you get older cold can become an issue and then FL looks a whole lot better.

Old Today, 05:09 PM

302 posts, read 223,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Another interesting point. My neighbor on one side of me owned/operated a tire/auto center in the NE. The costs of doing business, taxes, salaries, regulatory costs, rent, insurance, etc forced him to close putting more than a dozen people out of work. He sold the house (another money drain), moved to FL and bought a tire/auto center. franchise. He employees 11 people. His business is doing great and he once told me coming to FL was the 'best idea' he ever had. Another guy is a dentist from Queens, NY. Happy as a clam in mud. Down the block is a fellow who came here and started a "man and a mower" service in 1972. Now he owns Paff Landscaping which does road medians and shoulders for local counties and the state. They also do commercial work and some residential. The guy has money he hasnt folded yet. I came to FL with no job at all. So did my wife. Today she is a regional manager for one of a multi unit franchiser of one of the big fast food chains. I was at work 2 weeks after starting to look. I started as a clerk in a 3 lawyer/20 or so employee firm. One of the partners left after a tiff with the other 2. I went with him and I left him after 11 years to explore other possibilities. I was, by that time, working in the Human Relations/Employee Benefits department. Today he is the managing partner of one of the biggest firms in the country. His wife and 4 sons are attorneys with the firm. We have friends who are still in Orlando. They started about the same time at Disney. She was a housekeeper and he was a fleet mechanic. They met at a company employee function and married. She recently retired from her position as Housekeeping Director. The job is now posted on their website. He retired as a VP of Disney Transport a few years ago. The fleet was (and probably still is) the third largest fleet of any Florida transportation system. At the time he left only Jacksonville and Miami had larger systems.

I can relate dozens of success stories of people who relocated to FL. All kinds of occupations. The thing about FL is the opportunities are there if you have the smarts to see them.
I notice your big with dead end, low wage , no benefits, incredible high turn over McJobs which Florida is and has always been king of the hill of.

Old Today, 05:56 PM

12,753 posts, read 6,529,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mph101 View Post
I notice your big with dead end, low wage , no benefits, incredible high turn over McJobs which Florida is and has always been king of the hill of.
Only at entry level and he spoke of moving up by putting effort in. Those who stay at the "McJob" level are not trying to do anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida