Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2016, 11:48 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by gypsychic
I wish every person who hated Florida would just leave already. I am a native Floridian who loves her home state and feels it is getting too crowded. We certainly don't need people who hate it staying here and ruining it for the rest of us.

Hopefully, OP, you can move to where you like it better. Plenty of other states to choose from.

I third that motion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 12:09 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,442,558 times
People who don't like something but do nothing to change, just want to complain! Change your circumstances, don't just complain about you have no choice, you do!

Old 08-06-2016, 12:13 PM

14,945 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I'm talking in reference to simply moving as soon as you realize you hate it. People have this "well just get out" attitude and it doesn't work like that. It took my husband 6 months to get hired in law enforcement. There were tests and interviews and such. Some people are contractually bound to jobs or have kids who need to finish school etc. people can't "just leave" any time they want. Maybe you can and that's great, but in the real world people have things tying them down and it just doesn't happen. My cousin loathes Naples but went to nursing school and signed a 5 year contract with NCH before she realized she had grown weary of the place. She can't break it. My husband owed his job 18 months after the date of graduation from school. If we were to break they he would have had to pay back over $10,000 to them. I'm not pulling my kid out of school mid year just because I hate a place. Come on now...
I think most people live in the real world (although their experiences and perceptions may vary), and are aware of family and contractual responsibilities. So you work with those obligations, reevaluate your life, and make plans to change your situation, move to a more desirable location and move on with your life when you can.

It has happened and will happen to more people ( even those baby boomers you bashed in another post, LOL) than you will ever know or hear about. That's life.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
People who don't like something but do nothing to change, just want to complain! Change your circumstances, don't just complain about you have no choice, you do!
I look at it this way: They found a way to leave their former location to come here but they seem not to want to go back to what they hated so much.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:26 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,317,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I'm talking in reference to simply moving as soon as you realize you hate it. People have this "well just get out" attitude and it doesn't work like that. It took my husband 6 months to get hired in law enforcement. There were tests and interviews and such. Some people are contractually bound to jobs or have kids who need to finish school etc. people can't "just leave" any time they want. Maybe you can and that's great, but in the real world people have things tying them down and it just doesn't happen. My cousin loathes Naples but went to nursing school and signed a 5 year contract with NCH before she realized she had grown weary of the place. She can't break it. My husband owed his job 18 months after the date of graduation from school. If we were to break they he would have had to pay back over $10,000 to them. I'm not pulling my kid out of school mid year just because I hate a place. Come on now...
We put our house on the market back in January (5 homes then). No offers. We are the second lowest of all (12 now) single family homes in our development (Glen Eagle). It's a buyers market. More and more homes for resale, in addition to all the new construction going on everywhere in Naples, but apparently sellers in Naples haven't gotten the message that with an abundance of supply, the prices cannot be going up, up, up. Last I looked it up there were 9,000+ homes for sale in Naples. YIKES, talk about over supply.

Anyway, we cannot just pack up and move. We cannot afford to carry the mortgages on two houses. Move and Rent? Been there, done that. You live CLOSE BY and keep in very close contact/watch over tenants, fixing problems, etc. You cannot do this 1,000 miles away.

We are stuck here until the house sells. We are a retired couple, but I do know the logistics of moving an entire household with young children and their needs. Did that. I totally understand what you mean. It was an absolute nightmare moving from Queens to LI and taking our daughter out of school mid year. Her old school did this. Her new school did that. That can affect them for years. Imagine going from one STATE to another mid school year?

Old 08-06-2016, 12:27 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Haven't lost a thing in Florida. No reason to go there.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:39 PM

14,945 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I lived in Northern Florida from May to December of 1971. Went back north because of two things: family and weather here. I cannot take the heat. Summers up North and year round in Florida. I want Fall AND Winter, not year round Summer. When you are in your 50's, you know your own likes and dislikes.

If you are out of work for over a year and in dire straights, you will move anywhere to have a job. SW Florida was the place who offered my husband a job. So we moved here. No other reason. Adult children stayed up North. Since our move 10 years ago, they have married and had children. They have come here to Florida maybe 3 times. We, and especially me, are constantly driving/flying back to see them, and for me to break from the Endless Summer, especially in Fall and Winters. We have spend mega bucks going back North.

We put our house on the market. Everyone asks why we are selling moving back North. To strangers we say that for health issues (husband's heart attack) and retirement, we want to live closer to our family. Nobody questions that. I will only tell people I know personally that I cannot take hot weather, beaches, pools, etc. I have said this to both Native Floridians and Transplants I know. The Transplants cannot understand this at all. The Natives do. Different strokes for different folks. You cannot change the local weather whether that is Florida or Minnesota. Go where you makes you more comfortable. I have had Transplants actually ARGUE with me over moving back North. "You will be back". I did not want to come here after leaving in 1971. Life threw up a curve. If you can get out of that curve, we will.

End of story. When the house sells, we will be gone. Consider this US, not YOU.
I remember your situation from reading your numerous posts on the topic over time. You moved to FL strictly for your husband's job, not because you wanted to live in FL, and your kids and their families are up north ( in NY, IIRC???) and your heart is up there with them. Between all that and living in Naples (which I dislike too), in your boat I would feel exactly as you do, and I'm happy to see that the end of your time living in FL is around the corner.

You couldn't spend much time around humanity and not know that everyone has an opinion on anything and everything, whether or not it's any of their business, and many folks voice those opinions whether you want to hear them or not. Some of them will even try to convince you that THEY are right and you are wrong, and will preach to you on the error of your ways. So those remarks about your leaving FL, moving elsewhere and so on come as no surprise. They're annoying as he!!, and you do know, I know, that you owe no one not directly affected by your decisions any explanations, apologies or anything else for your actions. You don't have to explain why you are leaving, unless you really want to to a friend or someone else you care about.

So how is it going with your house on the market?

Old 08-06-2016, 01:58 PM

149 posts, read 145,114 times
My house here in L.I has been on the market 5 months. My (young ,perhaps new) realtor keeps telling us to lower the price ( it isnt that overpriced we were told by others). I am not crazy about the move, hubby says for monetary reasons ( oh, and the snow and his health) we need to do it. My preteen and teens seem to be on board.They know we might move mid school year. They aren't social butterflies, but have their close friends. I worry about them once we get to FL. It will be just the 5 of us. that is it. I will get used to it, I will mourn this house , my school mom friends, but what if they don't. This keep me up at night. �� Can Any positive vibes be sent my way...please???

Old 08-06-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathte View Post
My house here in L.I has been on the market 5 months. My (young ,perhaps new) realtor keeps telling us to lower the price ( it isnt that overpriced we were told by others). I am not crazy about the move, hubby says for monetary reasons ( oh, and the snow and his health) we need to do it. My preteen and teens seem to be on board.They know we might move mid school year. They aren't social butterflies, but have their close friends. I worry about them once we get to FL. It will be just the 5 of us. that is it. I will get used to it, I will mourn this house , my school mom friends, but what if they don't. This keep me up at night. �� Can Any positive vibes be sent my way...please???
Depending on where in FL you relocate to, the overall quality of life will be better. Instead of morning, celebrate a new world around you. You would need to buy a very expensive home here to pay the property taxes here. NYC recently surpassed London as the most expensive city in the world.

Old 08-06-2016, 05:50 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Depending on where in FL you relocate to, the overall quality of life will be better. Instead of morning, celebrate a new world around you. You would need to buy a very expensive home here to pay the property taxes here. NYC recently surpassed London as the most expensive city in the world.
NYC seems cheap to me. Used to live in Sydney and my god that was expensive. No doubt Florida is where you can have a good quality of life though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida