Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2016, 05:34 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Some of my family grew up in Iowa and moved to Florida 30 years ago. Still have a lot of family back in Iowa. They trash the heck out of Iowa. It's awful. I also have a good friend who lives and works in Iowa and has almost nothing good to say about the place. I think it's fair to say that Iowa is not exactly a desirable place to be for most people.
And yet I know of other people who live or lived in Iowa and they like it, and I have a cousin that lived in Nebraska and now lives back in Florida and he preferred Nebraska. Des Moines is an up and coming city especially for young professionals.

I'm sure there's bad places in Iowa but have you been to Hialeah, Opa-Locka, Belle Glade? Not all of Florida is a beach resort. There's more crime in Florida by a whole lot and plenty of poverty. The worst you'll find in Iowa is a meth lab, which is bad but also more avoidable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 05:41 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
You can't be serious comparing IA to FL? There's great hiking in FL as well, only on a flat terrain. There's trails everywhere, abundant preserves with mangroves, islands, inlets, river-mouths, lakes(FL has 7K lakes), estuaries, tropical foliage/wildlife, reefs underwater, highest combined -marine/terrestrial- biodiversity in the US etc.. I am not trashing IA, just stating what I saw when i visited years ago. Not many points of interest. And why would you bring up skiing in West VA or hiking in CO? Many who move to FL are not interested in mountain activities. If they were, they wouldn't be here, though water skiing is similar. And FL has the 4th largest economy in the country by GDP, so..

The rest are somewhat subjective. My commute in West Central FL is not the same as someone in Miami, so it depends on the metro area. Insurance rates? Never an issue for me. Crime? Neither..depends on the area, as is the case elsewhere. Healthcare is adequate(did not have negative experiences so far), not significantly different than anywhere else in the country(last time I checked FL was in the US).

If people in IA are happy, then stay there or move there..
Never said Florida didn't have hiking options, just that its outdoor options are more water based than land based. Iowa has forests too, it's not just one big cornfield. Iowa also has better hiking weather in my opinion. Summer is warm but not too hot, fall is perfect. Winter isn't too bad if it's above 0 and you dress for it. I love hiking in snow. I never been hiking in Iowa but I've hiked in Minnesota, alongside waterfalls, big trees and ferns and that's a better hiking experience than anything I've had in Florida. And don't get me wrong I've had fun hiking in Florida, but nothing has ever blown me away or been all that impressive as far as hiking has been concerned.

Here's an example of hiking options in Iowa, http://www.thearmchairexplorer.com/i...lessarea02.jpg. I'd rather hike on that than on a swamp, no offence. But again I grew up down south, so I'm not impressed or interested in palm trees and tropical foliage. Tall deciduous trees and conifers are more novel and interesting to me. I saw palm trees almost every day of my life until I was 20 years old lol

Again, not bashing Florida's hiking options, I'm the kind of guy that would go for a hike anywhere, I've gone on a hike in small woods in western Texas and loved it, but I think places like Iowa deserve more credit than y'all give them.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:30 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
And yet I know of other people who live or lived in Iowa and they like it, and I have a cousin that lived in Nebraska and now lives back in Florida and he preferred Nebraska. Des Moines is an up and coming city especially for young professionals.

I'm sure there's bad places in Iowa but have you been to Hialeah, Opa-Locka, Belle Glade? Not all of Florida is a beach resort. There's more crime in Florida by a whole lot and plenty of poverty. The worst you'll find in Iowa is a meth lab, which is bad but also more avoidable.
Iowa has 3 million people.

Florida has 20 million people.

Dont you think there would be more crime with a larger population?

16.5 percent of the people in FL live in poverty.

12.2 percent of the people in Iowa live in poverty.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:37 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Iowa has 3 million people.

Florida has 20 million people.

Dont you think there would be more crime with a larger population?

16.5 percent of the people in FL live in poverty.

12.2 percent of the people in Iowa live in poverty.
I'm sure the local culture has a lot to do with it as well. Some places just naturally have less crime, no matter the size of the population.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:39 PM

153 posts, read 197,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89MustangGTFox View Post
I am the only person who doesn't like Florida? I have lived in Florida for the past ten years after my parents moved us here because my dad got a job transfer. It was fine at first but I am not sure if I have gone crazy or maybe I am not a Florida guy but I honestly don't like living in Florida anymore. The population in Florida is a bit of a melting pot. Living here has allowed me to meet someone from every state- Even Alaska and Hawaii! Everyone I have ever met has one thing in common; They love Florida and think it's the best place they have ever lived and they hate their home state.

When I mention I don't like Florida, I receive the strangest looks, gasps and get told I am insane. People always ask "How can you not like Florida? It's the best state in the country!" "We have beaches and Disney World!" But I honestly don't like it. I feel like there has to be something else out there in the country or the world. Florida simply can't be the only good place. I also get told I am immature when I mention I don't like Florida. I've been told this by neighbors,my parents friends, teachers, college prof., co-workers, etc.
(I am 21 so perhaps it's because I am Young and I haven't left the state since I moved here 10 years ago).

What I hate about Florida is that it's nothing but one giant Suburb. Florida has nothing but Subdivision, after subdivision and miles and miles of close together suburban houses. A lot of these subdivisions are giant and when you are a kid without a car you are trapped in them. Even with a car they are still a pain to drive through. There aren't any lush forests to explore or any hills or creeks or mountains. It's nothing but rows of houses, golf courses and man made lakes. Also the grass is thick as hell and the only natural terrain is swap with fungus in the water. No crystal clear lakes.

When I lived in upstate New York we had our own private property on a few acres. It was great. I was able to practice hockey outside in the winter, I could hit baseballs off the Tee in the summer, fish without even leaving my property. The lakes and rivers were crystal clear (you could drink from them without worrying about getting sick or Amoebas) There were plenty of lush forests to explore, mountains. It was nice. Here there are neighbors everywhere. It sucks. I hate the lack of rural areas in Florida too.

I also hate how crowded Florida is. It takes forever to drive anywhere due to how crowded the roads are. That combined with bad traffic, bad drivers and bad roads. Florida is just so crowded. Everyday there is a car accident, everyday I am stuck in Traffic due to an accident or simply by too many cars on the road at once.

I also I am not really a bar or club going guy and I don't drink often but this seems to be a big reason people move to Florida. A lot of people say they love Florida's lax alcohol laws (especially people from the Carolinas, PA, New Jersey and the family from Utah I know) and it was a big reason for them moving here. It seems like most people I meet regardless of age the only things they want to do is drink every weekend or go to night clubs. Also what's with people in Florida sitting in their driveways drinking? (Even my parents find this strange).

I am the only who feels this way about Florida? I've meet someone from every state and it seems all them hate their home state and insist Florida is the best. But I just don't buy it.

I'm still in college so it will be a couple of years before I can leave but I hope to be a military officer and see a little bit of the world. (Though I get told I am selfish and immature for wanting too). I find myself dreaming about visiting places such as Wyoming, Montana or even Alaska. Or returning to Upstate New York or New Hampshire. (I love visiting NH as a kid).

Hi OP,

I am in the same boat as you, somewhat. I am finishing college in Orlando and I am leaving immediately after I'm done. You are not in the wrong to be unhappy here. I've been 5 years and have not been able to make solid friendships for some odd reason. It truly is a different culture/environment, specifically in Central Florida.

Florida has the tendency (especially the metros) to attract undesirables from around the world. I am not sure why this is the case, but it is rather unfortunate because it is truly beautiful here aside from the never-ending suburban sprawl.

We live in one of the most transient states in the nation with people flocking here and leaving immediately after. Florida is also growing at a rapid rate, so there's a lot of stress and intensity in the air from all the people. With that being said, when you have so many transplants coming in from around the world fairly recently, there's no sense of community. I truly believe in culture clash as well from all the transplants coming from different cultures with different norms than what they are use to.

Is there a dynamic vibrancy here compared to other places in the nation? Absolutely. Are there many pros for people who want to live here? Of course. However, the state does not suit everyone.

It will be interesting to watch from afar how Florida changes over the course of the next 10-20 years. This has been a huge topic among people lately because I think folks are starting to wake up to see that this place is not paradise.

I wish it worked out for me here, OP, but it didn't and I plan on leaving in about two weeks. I wish you best of luck on your next adventure.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:53 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times

Paradise means different things to different people

Old 08-07-2016, 07:34 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaboy92 View Post
Hi OP,

I am in the same boat as you, somewhat. I am finishing college in Orlando and I am leaving immediately after I'm done. You are not in the wrong to be unhappy here. I've been 5 years and have not been able to make solid friendships for some odd reason. It truly is a different culture/environment, specifically in Central Florida.

Florida has the tendency (especially the metros) to attract undesirables from around the world. I am not sure why this is the case, but it is rather unfortunate because it is truly beautiful here aside from the never-ending suburban sprawl.

We live in one of the most transient states in the nation with people flocking here and leaving immediately after. Florida is also growing at a rapid rate, so there's a lot of stress and intensity in the air from all the people. With that being said, when you have so many transplants coming in from around the world fairly recently, there's no sense of community. I truly believe in culture clash as well from all the transplants coming from different cultures with different norms than what they are use to.

Is there a dynamic vibrancy here compared to other places in the nation? Absolutely. Are there many pros for people who want to live here? Of course. However, the state does not suit everyone.

It will be interesting to watch from afar how Florida changes over the course of the next 10-20 years. This has been a huge topic among people lately because I think folks are starting to wake up to see that this place is not paradise.

I wish it worked out for me here, OP, but it didn't and I plan on leaving in about two weeks. I wish you best of luck on your next adventure.
Everywhere is changing. The only constant is change.

I grew op in CA and it was great then. Now it isn't. Fl I am sure was great and now isn't, to many.

Every State has that problem as what we grew up with has ... changed, and with more people we have .... well more people and all they do. It isn't unique to CA or FL.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:42 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,916,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Never said Florida didn't have hiking options, just that its outdoor options are more water based than land based. Iowa has forests too, it's not just one big cornfield. Iowa also has better hiking weather in my opinion. Summer is warm but not too hot, fall is perfect. Winter isn't too bad if it's above 0 and you dress for it. I love hiking in snow. I never been hiking in Iowa but I've hiked in Minnesota, alongside waterfalls, big trees and ferns and that's a better hiking experience than anything I've had in Florida. And don't get me wrong I've had fun hiking in Florida, but nothing has ever blown me away or been all that impressive as far as hiking has been concerned.

Here's an example of hiking options in Iowa, http://www.thearmchairexplorer.com/i...lessarea02.jpg. I'd rather hike on that than on a swamp, no offence. But again I grew up down south, so I'm not impressed or interested in palm trees and tropical foliage. Tall deciduous trees and conifers are more novel and interesting to me. I saw palm trees almost every day of my life until I was 20 years old lol

Again, not bashing Florida's hiking options, I'm the kind of guy that would go for a hike anywhere, I've gone on a hike in small woods in western Texas and loved it, but I think places like Iowa deserve more credit than y'all give them.
Hiking in FL... Palm frawns, sand, twigs, meh.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:35 PM

153 posts, read 197,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Everywhere is changing. The only constant is change.

I grew op in CA and it was great then. Now it isn't. Fl I am sure was great and now isn't, to many.

Every State has that problem as what we grew up with has ... changed, and with more people we have .... well more people and all they do. It isn't unique to CA or FL.
That's kind of sad. I wish I could have seen what both California and Florida were like way back when :/ Unfortunately I was born too late into this world.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:46 PM

695 posts, read 997,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
"They" and "she" are different people. Perception has a great deal to do with it. I can pull up NYC supermarket fliers on the web and compare prices "apples to apples". I can look up per kwh electric rates and compare them. I can do that comparison to everything. As far as medical care, I am family members have had stays in NY hospitals and I can tell you that I'd rather spend a month in Florida Hospital than a day at a NYC hospital. The doctors in FL as as good as anywhere else.

I go outside every single day and have never used nor felt the need to put anything on my skin to repel bugs. We dont use any regular pest control products in the house except to get rid of an occasional house fly or palmetto bug. It's hot and the major metro areas are crowded and have a lot of traffic but a retiree should never choose to live in a metro area unless it is what they want.
What part of Florida are you in? I'm interested since your description has lots of positives: good doctors and hospitals, no need for bug repellant, no need for regular pest control. Are you near the ocean or inland. Sounds like you live in a good place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida