U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 01:26 PM

5 posts, read 24,063 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I (no kids) are looking to move to Florida... We want to be within an hour or so from disney, dont want to be too far from a beach, and don't want to move to an area with a lot of retirees. We may consider Tampa or even Orlando, or maybe a beach town (west or east coast?) not sure. We like the young bar scene and want to live in a single family home with a nice size backyard in a nice newer neighborhood ($225K - $325K)... any suggestions? Thanks!!!

Last edited by Shannon986; 11-27-2006 at 01:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2006, 02:23 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,763,988 times
Stay away from south Florida then. It's an overpriced God's waiting room here.

Old 11-27-2006, 08:39 PM

2,909 posts, read 12,977,689 times
Can you really afford a $300k house? I am a few years older than you and can only afford about $50k of house and I wouldnt consider myself lower class. Do you both work? I would not spend more than 2.5x your combined income on a house. If you can afford a $300k house, you must be rich and have a combined income of at least $120k gross a year! Dont forget, you must allow for insurance and property tax costs and dont even think about anything other than a fixed 30 year(or better yet 15 year) mortgage. No interest only, no adjustable rate! If you want to be close to disney, buy north of Orlando, the prices are lower, think you can get a 3 bedroom starter house with lots of land(land is cheap except in south Florida) for $150k or so. Youd need a combined income of $60k to afford that without being house poor.

Old 11-28-2006, 08:16 AM

Well we live together now and are fine with a $260K mortgage, is there any place north of orlando that has a reputation for being a fun town plus close to the ocean? I've been trying to look into all of Florida, but there is so much and I don't even know where to start.

Old 11-28-2006, 09:41 AM

22,553 posts, read 47,262,082 times
Are you going to own your own business? If you are, then I can see moving here. Otherwise, I would suggest you check pay rates for your profession. Florida pays a LOT less than New Jersey.

I use to live in Orlando. I absolutely loved that city. It is just beautiful and has a young vibe. There are retirees there, but it seems like it is less than other parts of the state.

It is less than an hour to get over to Daytona Beach from Orlando. I think it use to take me about 40 minutes.

Old 11-28-2006, 09:51 AM

5 posts, read 16,323 times
I would check out Deland it's small town but your between Daytona and Orlando and thats what I like about it

Old 11-28-2006, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I use to live in Orlando. I absolutely loved that city. It is just beautiful and has a young vibe. There are retirees there, but it seems like it is less than other parts of the state.
Why did you move away from Orlando?

Old 11-28-2006, 09:13 PM

2,909 posts, read 12,977,689 times
Quote:
Are you going to own your own business? If you are, then I can see moving here. Otherwise, I would suggest you check pay rates for your profession. Florida pays a LOT less than New Jersey.

They said they are fine with a $260k mortgage. I second they should check what their jobs in Florida pay. In fact I suggest they rent for a year, house prices are still falling and by renting, they will have a whole year to check houses out and decide for themselves which house they want and how much they can really afford.

Old 11-28-2006, 09:30 PM

44 posts, read 140,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon986 View Post
Well we live together now and are fine with a $260K mortgage, is there any place north of orlando that has a reputation for being a fun town plus close to the ocean? I've been trying to look into all of Florida, but there is so much and I don't even know where to start.
Most towns on the beach are havens for snowbirds. You cant blame them, if I was spending my winters here and could afford it that is where I would be. Look for lots of traffic between October and April, then the tourists come. But if you dont mind traffic, anywhere on the gulf coast is nice, the atlantic side (I think) is cheaper. Good luck

Old 11-28-2006, 10:53 PM

29 posts, read 115,650 times
Quote:

I 2nd checking the payrates in Florida; I've twice been offered a job in Florida for about 40 - 45% of my current Chicago suburb salary. A friend of mine once told me they pay you in sunshine. Unfortunately my family can't eat sunshine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or