Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 10:39 AM

25 posts, read 29,478 times

Advertisements

I've been doing some major research and I really don't want to continue living in NY. I'm from the Bronx and it's impossible to find anything here. I live that I can walk to certain places but I sure need a change in scenery. I have at least $2,000 saved and I want to either reside in either Clearwater, Panama City, Florida City or Gainseville. I have visited Orlando, and Sandford; I wasn't to keen with those choices. I have a 6 year old daughter and I want to place her in a charter school for the most part. My budget for a place is from $650- $1,000. I'm still saving keep that in mind lol. What is the job market like in those places? Almost forgot my fiancé has a background in Maintenence worker. Would he be able to get a job in that? Any siggestions are gladly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 10:56 AM

17,140 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mil E View Post
I've been doing some major research and I really don't want to continue living in NY. I'm from the Bronx and it's impossible to find anything here. I live that I can walk to certain places but I sure need a change in scenery. I have at least $2,000 saved and I want to either reside in either Clearwater, Panama City, Florida City or Gainseville. I have visited Orlando, and Sandford; I wasn't to keen with those choices. I have a 6 year old daughter and I want to place her in a charter school for the most part. My budget for a place is from $650- $1,000. I'm still saving keep that in mind lol. What is the job market like in those places? Almost forgot my fiancé has a background in Maintenence worker. Would he be able to get a job in that? Any siggestions are gladly appreciated.
How did you come up with such a scattered choice?
Anyway, you're a bit vague here. Why are you planning to move to FL? Do you work? I get that your husband works, and there are plenty of maintenance jobs out there, but here in FL, they pay about $10-$12/hr for that. As far as the job market itself, well it depends: what field? Clearwater is not going to have the same market as Gainesville.
If you're serious about wanting to move, I suggest you first BOTH start looking for and applying for jobs. Get something lined up, and have a set plan.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:25 AM

I'm planning to move because I no longer enjoy New York. Currently I am working as a school crossing guard. And i came across such scattered choices because if what I thought would fit good as in neighborhood choices for myself husband and daughter.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:49 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,498,811 times
Well - $2,000 might be able to get you 2 months rent - might? Then what? It is hard to get jobs here and salaries are much, much lower then the Bronx -

Old 08-26-2016, 11:55 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mil E View Post
I'm planning to move because I no longer enjoy New York. Currently I am working as a school crossing guard. And i came across such scattered choices because if what I thought would fit good as in neighborhood choices for myself husband and daughter.
You both needs jobs before moving. It is not as bad as NY for living, but it isn't an easy place to get a job in either. Wanting is one thing, being able is another.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:32 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,139,627 times
Tallahassee is probably your best bet.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
Tallahassee is probably your best bet.
Thanks.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:47 PM

Almost forgot to mention that we are in our twenties. 26- 27 yrs of age. So maybe that can factor in as well.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:54 PM

174 posts, read 207,174 times
Tallahassee looks beautiful. I havent been there.yet.but i am sure i will visit someday. Check out fort myers. You will fall in loce with this.town.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:05 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
I think you need to save more even if you can find a 2 bedroom apartment for less than $1000 in some areas of the state like Tallahassee. Most places ask for first, last, and a deposit that is between 1/2-full months rent up front after paying $35-$50 for the credit check. Most ask that all adults be able to cover the rent alone in case one loses a job etc. Then you will have the deposits for all utilities you have to pay. Some can be as much as $150. Also in almost every town in Florida you will need a car because we do not have the best public transportation and things are spread out instead of up, so taking a bus could take a lot of planning or may not even be available in the area you need to be.

Putting a child in school down here can be an expense too. All teachers give out a list of supplies you need to purchase and bring in to use that year and most charter schools require uniforms in certain colors.

Pan handle area may not be as warm as you are looking for. They actually get many freezes during the winter. May not get snow often but you will need winter clothes part of the year.

Finding jobs may take time so might not even venture down till you have about 4-6 months rent and living money saved. Without a college degree or a profession you can transfer down with, makes it much tougher. Finding a job in maintenance, retail, school guard, or lunchroom person before you get here is almost impossible because we want the person to already be here when we hire them so they can start training immediately. I can tell you we just toss applications from people that aren't here. For every job opening there may be 100 or more people applying.

Another good piece of advice is have a 2nd plan. Keep enough money saved to get you back home where you have support while you start over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida