U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 11:59 AM

1,333 posts, read 1,013,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
To be perfectly honest, the Keys are like no other place in the country. What's allowed in many places across the US will not be allowed in the Keys.

If it has an active ROGO permit, you're most likely way over your budget, so it will pretty much make the decision for you- don't buy at all.
Thank you again! But maybe you could recommend some safe area to buy land for a mobile house somewhere between Miami and Keys? Maybe it will be a lot easier to make it on a mainland FL. Of course I prefer Key Largo, but if it is so restricted then maybe there is an easier way. What I am looking for is a peaceful safe place not far from the ocean. But not necessarily too close (maybe 5-10 miles away). Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 12:56 PM

3,849 posts, read 7,862,106 times
Without a doubt there are much less restrictive places in FL than the Keys (pretty much the entire rest of the state!)

You're going to have a hard time finding something close to the ocean in Miami for around those prices. You're probably best off looking at the west coast of the state. You'll find more of what you're looking for in the Ft. Myers/Cape Coral area.

Out of curiosity, why will you not consider an existing home?

Old 09-03-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:

Out of curiosity, why will you not consider an existing home?
Well right now I own house in Texas already. I can't pay mortgages on two houses at the same time. Florida property might become my primary residence in a future if I establish my own business there successfully, but who knows. At least land won't be a risky investment for me and mobile home is something I can buy for cash without getting into debt. So the plan is to establish some roots in FL, but on a reasonable budget. And mobile home can be a decent vacation property at least (I really love FL and don't mind spending more time there). And in general in FL climate mobile home is a nice solution I think. Personally I don't like this style and cheap look of mobile homes, but for the price it's very good option. Especially if ocean matters more than anything else.

Old 09-03-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Well right now I own house in Texas already. I can't pay mortgages on two houses at the same time. Florida property might become my primary residence in a future if I establish my own business there successfully, but who knows. At least land won't be a risky investment for me and mobile home is something I can buy for cash without getting into debt. So the plan is to establish some roots in FL, but on a reasonable budget. And mobile home can be a decent vacation property at least (I really love FL and don't mind spending more time there). And in general in FL climate mobile home is a nice solution I think. Personally I don't like this style and cheap look of mobile homes, but for the price it's very good option. Especially if ocean matters more than anything else.
Just FYI, if you can afford the lots you previously linked to, you'll be able to afford something already built in many areas.

Old 09-03-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Just FYI, if you can afford the lots you previously linked to, you'll be able to afford something already built in many areas.
Well what I see already built within that budget - some rundown houses in sketchy areas. No, I would prefer to stay away, absolutely. My land budget is 80-100K max. For my business, proximity to Miami is crucial. Closest and safest place is Key Largo. After the holidays I will contact realtors and ask them about the land specifics, permits, etc.
Thank you for the input, now I am better prepared to talk to the agents.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:02 PM

240 posts, read 181,516 times
The Keys is not the best place to live. Once a year vacation is ok if you can afford it. Do your due diligence and think twice before living in the Keys.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:13 AM

10,100 posts, read 12,154,382 times
Cheap land is cheap for a reason (no building permit).
Mobile homes and hurricanes do not get along well for long
Keys are very flood prone due to low elevation.

Your plans for debt free, cheap living in the keys is poorly planned.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Cheap land is cheap for a reason (no building permit).
Mobile homes and hurricanes do not get along well for long
Keys are very flood prone due to low elevation.

Your plans for debt free, cheap living in the keys is poorly planned.
Well it's too early to accuse me of poor planning because I haven't started with a planning yet.
This is just initial inquiry about the land, just to start with a planning.
But there is still probably a chance to make it.

What if I first put a small cabin that doesn't require permit? Building a Small Cabin - Building Permit Requirements

Something like this:

And it will be a temporary/vacation residence that can be transformed in normal residence in a future as soon as I get that rogo permit?

Regarding flooding and mobile houses: I see mobile homes from early 1970s in Key Largo and they are still alive.
Also some of the lots in my initial list are located not in a flood zone.

Happy Holidays to all!

Old 09-06-2016, 07:22 AM

I found out that no temporary structures are allowed at all.

The other option is to look for a land with active rogo permit.

Old 09-09-2016, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
I found out that no temporary structures are allowed at all.

The other option is to look for a land with active rogo permit.
There are ROGO permits for sale, but there's a lot of paperwork and stipulations to get it applied to a particular property. The property has to be a "receiver" property I know, but beyond that I'm not too sure what all is involved. I do know it's not just buying the permit and putting your land address down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or