U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-02-2016, 02:01 PM
 
Location: Houston TX
1,245 posts, read 827,501 times
Reputation: 754

Advertisements

I am quite interested in buying land in Florida Keys, preferably in Key Largo.

Currently I see some lots under 80K available. Looks like a good deal. But what's the catch? One listing has been on a market for over a year, it says 'expired ROGO permit'. What does it mean?

The plan is to buy a land and put mobile house there. But I saw some mobile houses with the land in Key Largo for over 300K.

Could you please comment on these lots, if there is something wrong with them? Are there any restrictions for putting mobile homes in Key Largo? How much would it cost to get connected to water line/sewer and electricity?

26 Palm Dr, Key Largo, FL 33037 - Land For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Lime Dr, Key Largo, FL 33037 - Land For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

40 Hibiscus Ln, Key Largo, FL 33037 - Land For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

54 Tina Pl Lot 2, Key Largo, FL 33037 - Land For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Are there any safety concerns except hurricanes? I normally consider this area as very safe in terms of crime, is this correct?

What do you think, how difficult will it be to get a mortgage on this land? In terms of monthly payments it's not a bid deal so I don't see any risk for lenders, however I heard it's normally hard to get mortgage for a land. I have good credit and income, but reside in Texas. And I already have mortgage on a house here in TX. I have no debt other than that.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Ghost Town; 09-02-2016 at 02:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-02-2016, 03:22 PM
 
3,849 posts, read 7,574,692 times
Reputation: 1977
ROGO is the rate of growth ordinance for the Keys. You can find more information about it here,
http://www.floridakeyskeywestrealest...sguideROGO.pdf

In other words, without a permit, you ain't moving in with a new home.

You would also need to look extensively at the codes for whether or not you could bring in your mobile home. While I'm not certain, I'm guessing a lot of the mobile homes you see are grandfathered in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2016, 03:46 PM
 
Location: Houston TX
1,245 posts, read 827,501 times
Reputation: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
ROGO is the rate of growth ordinance for the Keys. You can find more information about it here,
http://www.floridakeyskeywestrealest...sguideROGO.pdf

In other words, without a permit, you ain't moving in with a new home.

You would also need to look extensively at the codes for whether or not you could bring in your mobile home. While I'm not certain, I'm guessing a lot of the mobile homes you see are grandfathered in.
Ouch...thanks. I see it's really complicated there.

But what can I do with the land without this ROGO permit? Only grow a couple of orange trees?
Or maybe I can put at least a camper trailer (not a fixed structure)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2016, 04:00 PM
 
3,849 posts, read 7,574,692 times
Reputation: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Ouch...thanks. I see it's really complicated there.

But what can I do with the land without this ROGO permit? Only grow a couple of orange trees?
Or maybe I can put at least a camper trailer (not a fixed structure)?
It depends on what the local zoning code says, but I would image a camper probably wouldn't be allowed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2016, 08:14 PM
 
Location: Houston TX
1,245 posts, read 827,501 times
Reputation: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
It depends on what the local zoning code says, but I would image a camper probably wouldn't be allowed.
Actually the last lot seems to be zoned to mobile home area.

Quote:
Zoning: URM - Urban Res Mobile Home District
I don't know much about zoning and codes. Will try to ask an agent about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2016, 09:10 PM
 
3,849 posts, read 7,574,692 times
Reputation: 1977
You should be able to find the code online. Mobile is going to be different from a camper, and with mobile I'm sure you'll need a ROGO permit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2016, 10:09 PM
 
Location: Houston TX
1,245 posts, read 827,501 times
Reputation: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
You should be able to find the code online. Mobile is going to be different from a camper, and with mobile I'm sure you'll need a ROGO permit.
Thanks. I will search for that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2016, 07:33 AM
 
Location: Doral
872 posts, read 491,813 times
Reputation: 527
Honestly, when we're talking about construction near the waterfront (everything in the Keys) you really need to be having discussions with experts - building contractors with extensive experience with these projects. There is a maze of complex regulation. While you can start with the local building codes, there are a ton of other legislation that affects construction. https://fl-monroecounty.civicplus.co...x.aspx?NID=243

Honestly, you're probably better off buying existing construction rather than getting into the mess. It will take a lot longer and be much more expensive to build than you expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2016, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Houston TX
1,245 posts, read 827,501 times
Reputation: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRyan View Post
Honestly, when we're talking about construction near the waterfront (everything in the Keys) you really need to be having discussions with experts - building contractors with extensive experience with these projects. There is a maze of complex regulation. While you can start with the local building codes, there are a ton of other legislation that affects construction. https://fl-monroecounty.civicplus.co...x.aspx?NID=243

Honestly, you're probably better off buying existing construction rather than getting into the mess. It will take a lot longer and be much more expensive to build than you expect.
Well thanks, I don't know about specifics in this area. I am not interested in waterfront property. Just want to buy a cheaper lot in the middle of this island (it will be still pretty close to the beach) and simply put mobile home there. Not really a construction. I heard many people do it fairly easily in other parts of the country. And I saw bunch of existing mobile homes in FL Keys. So I thought putting mobile home won't be a big deal.

But if a lot has ROGO permit and zoned to mobile home area, how difficult will be to put mobile home there in terms of regulations and other stuff? I have only two options: either buy a land and put mobile home there or not to buy at all, so the choice is simple. I am absolutely not considering buying a pre-existing house there. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2016, 10:58 AM
 
3,849 posts, read 7,574,692 times
Reputation: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Well thanks, I don't know about specifics in this area. I am not interested in waterfront property. Just want to buy a cheaper lot in the middle of this island (it will be still pretty close to the beach) and simply put mobile home there. Not really a construction. I heard many people do it fairly easily in other parts of the country. And I saw bunch of existing mobile homes in FL Keys. So I thought putting mobile home won't be a big deal.

But if a lot has ROGO permit and zoned to mobile home area, how difficult will be to put mobile home there in terms of regulations and other stuff? I have only two options: either buy a land and put mobile home there or not to buy at all, so the choice is simple. I am absolutely not considering buying a pre-existing house there. Thanks.
To be perfectly honest, the Keys are like no other place in the country. What's allowed in many places across the US will not be allowed in the Keys.

If it has an active ROGO permit, you're most likely way over your budget, so it will pretty much make the decision for you- don't buy at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top