U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-08-2016, 10:43 AM
 
6 posts, read 5,643 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I am looking for some different opinions and input from people as possible in different areas. My family is considering a move to FL next summer from MI. We are tired of the dreary and cold winters and 1-2 month summers. We have some family in Clearwater but that doesn't influence our decision. It is an Aunt and Uncle.

We would like to be semi close to some beaches and Orlando attractions maybe 45-1.5 hours without being in Orlando. We aren't sure if we would want to live directly on the coast or not or maybe 45-1hr in. Any pros or cons from people on that would also be nice. My biggest concern would be Hurricanes of course.

We have 4 kids, so we are looking for a good school system. Home range would be about 150-200K. We would really like to live in a area where we aren't right on top of neighbors. 1/2 to 1 acre would be amazing, but I am afraid that would be hard to find without being in Northern FL. We would just like some space for the kids to play if possible. We are on .5 acres now, and it gives us some room, not as much as we would like, but it is ok.

We would also need to be close to a city for jobs. We are in Healthcare (Nurse) and IT. Any suggestions or tips would be great. Thanks!

Last edited by Anabear; 09-08-2016 at 11:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-08-2016, 12:42 PM
 
1,444 posts, read 1,922,400 times
Reputation: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabear View Post
I am looking for some different opinions and input from people as possible in different areas. My family is considering a move to FL next summer from MI. We are tired of the dreary and cold winters and 1-2 month summers. We have some family in Clearwater but that doesn't influence our decision. It is an Aunt and Uncle.

We would like to be semi close to some beaches and Orlando attractions maybe 45-1.5 hours without being in Orlando. We aren't sure if we would want to live directly on the coast or not or maybe 45-1hr in. Any pros or cons from people on that would also be nice. My biggest concern would be Hurricanes of course.

We have 4 kids, so we are looking for a good school system. Home range would be about 150-200K. We would really like to live in a area where we aren't right on top of neighbors. 1/2 to 1 acre would be amazing, but I am afraid that would be hard to find without being in Northern FL. We would just like some space for the kids to play if possible. We are on .5 acres now, and it gives us some room, not as much as we would like, but it is ok.

We would also need to be close to a city for jobs. We are in Healthcare (Nurse) and IT. Any suggestions or tips would be great. Thanks!
With your budget and desire to have over half an acre you would be putting yourself into rural areas away from the coast.

Working in IT you may be able to work from home and as you know you can work in healthcare almost anywhere.

I would suggest Lake County if you want to be close-ish to Orlando. It is the middle of the state about an hour to the beach.

What is your aversion to North Florida? You may be able to find something you are looking for in some parts of Metro Jacksonville, good job market for IT and Healthcare, especially compared to places like Ocala and Daytona Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2016, 01:28 PM
 
6 posts, read 5,643 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
With your budget and desire to have over half an acre you would be putting yourself into rural areas away from the coast.

Working in IT you may be able to work from home and as you know you can work in healthcare almost anywhere.

I would suggest Lake County if you want to be close-ish to Orlando. It is the middle of the state about an hour to the beach.

What is your aversion to North Florida? You may be able to find something you are looking for in some parts of Metro Jacksonville, good job market for IT and Healthcare, especially compared to places like Ocala and Daytona Beach.

With young kids, we would like to be able to frequent the parks around Orlando without living the the crowd of Orlando. We would prefer to be close to a city for work, but have a small, nice community feel without sitting on top of our neighbors, but we also have a desire to be close to water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2016, 01:33 PM
 
1,444 posts, read 1,922,400 times
Reputation: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabear View Post
With young kids, we would like to be able to frequent the parks around Orlando without living the the crowd of Orlando. We would prefer to be close to a city for work, but have a small, nice community feel without sitting on top of our neighbors, but we also have a desire to be close to water.

Realistically with kids school and other activities you wont be going to the theme parks as much as you think. So consider work and schools first.

Jacksonville is about 2-2.5 hours from the theme parks. I live in Jax area and Clay County( Green Cove Springs, Middleburg and Orange Park) you may find what you are looking for. Its also closer to the beach, St Augustine or Jax Beach. Also check out some of the areas closer to Tampa, I am not as familiar with that area so I will let others post on that

Last edited by jwolfer; 09-08-2016 at 01:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2016, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Sugarmill Woods , FL
6,235 posts, read 5,861,703 times
Reputation: 13640
You might want to check out Citrus County.
Beverly Hills, Citrus County, Florida House for sale, Beverly Hills, Citrus County, Florida Acreage for Sale, Beverly Hills, Citrus County, Florida Lots for Sale at LandWatch.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2016, 01:41 PM
 
261 posts, read 175,674 times
Reputation: 192
Northern Florida would be ideal at this point. The Tampa and Orlando areas are becoming like Miami/Fort Lauderdale. High rents, insurances increased traffic, crime and illegals . You dont want to live there anymore its not what it used to be. Ocala/Gainesville not bad areas, Jacksonville is ok for now but im sure that will change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2016, 01:42 PM
 
21,122 posts, read 30,217,310 times
Reputation: 19485
You're not going to find much of anything in that price range to begin with in/around Orlando (or Tampa for that matter), then when adding better schools to the mix it's pretty much impossible. I agree that Jacksonville would be a far better option not only for jobs most likely, but also housing where you can find a number of good options within your criteria (and on budget) in Yulee/Fernandina Beach in Nassau County. It's just north of Jacksonville (south of the GA state line) and also has the second highest ranked school district in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2016, 04:31 PM
 
Location: Gainesville, FL; formerly Weston, FL
986 posts, read 979,354 times
Reputation: 985
Older home in Gainesville would fit your budget. NW and SW Gainesville are zoned for the higher rated schools. St. Augustine Beach and Orlando are about 90 minutes to the east and south, respectively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2016, 06:33 PM
 
1,676 posts, read 740,006 times
Reputation: 800
Gainesville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2016, 12:36 PM
 
6 posts, read 5,643 times
Reputation: 10
What is thought about the Lakeland area or surrounding suburbs? That looks like a good halfway point to be close to the Orlando area for all the parks and entertainment and close to a beach and city? We really would like to be not much more than an hour to parks I think. Are there any areas around that with decent schools and neighborhoods, or is the whole are to crowded with tourist? We have 4 young kids, and we frequent the amusement parks by us now and zoos and family entertainment. And most things are about an hour from us now. I do greatly appreciate the help and insight. When we moved to MI from OH, we didn't know anything about the area, we just picked a halfway point between jobs and close to 75 access since that is what we used most to get places. It is hard finding an area when you don't know much about different areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top