Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 08:15 PM

3 posts, read 3,178 times

Advertisements

We are getting ready to buy in the Port Orange, Daytona Beach, Ormond Beach area and see that lot rents run from $400 includes no utilities and $570 includes water, sewer, trash, lawn care is this a good price? Also is there a high speed internet here? We now have Verizon FIOS and very good for TV and Internet, Any ideas? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 05:47 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,025 times
First, buy used. These things are worse than cars in terms of depreciation. Check out mhvillage.com for used units. Second, remember that the rents will always go up and when you buy in a development that you don't own the lot, it can be sold out from under you.

Do your research first.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:00 AM

3 posts, read 3,178 times
ok thanks how about the utilities is $570 lot rent good for water, sewer, trash pick up, lawn care? how about high speed internet what is the best there please?

Old 08-20-2016, 07:35 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
You will pay more for a unit but if you want a modular/manufactured home, look at units in resident owned co-op parks. Besides owning a share of the park, monthly maint is usually less than $300

Old 08-21-2016, 10:40 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,140,103 times
ATT and Brighthouse are internet providers in this area. Both have high speed options. I get Brighthouse's 50 Mbit service for about $50 a month. My speed tests say I actually get 20 Mbit down and 13 Mbit up. I use Ooma for landline phone which costs me less than $4 a month, the Ooma charge is for 911 fees and taxes only, Ooma doesn't get anything from the $4.

Mobile homes are incredibly cheap down here, my guess is they are very difficult to sell. Watch out for the cost of AC in a mobile home, I hear lots of folks in mobile homes pay over $300 a month for electricity in the summer, whereas we have a 4 bedroom cement block home and our electric bills are half that.

Consider buying a small block bungalow instead. You can save on electricity, you can homestead and save on taxes (we save $1400 a year), you won't have the same worries about hurricanes/insurance may be cheaper and you can title the home in an advantageous way as a couple.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:54 AM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
ATT and Brighthouse are internet providers in this area. Both have high speed options. I get Brighthouse's 50 Mbit service for about $50 a month. My speed tests say I actually get 20 Mbit down and 13 Mbit up. I use Ooma for landline phone which costs me less than $4 a month, the Ooma charge is for 911 fees and taxes only, Ooma doesn't get anything from the $4.

Mobile homes are incredibly cheap down here, my guess is they are very difficult to sell. Watch out for the cost of AC in a mobile home, I hear lots of folks in mobile homes pay over $300 a month for electricity in the summer, whereas we have a 4 bedroom cement block home and our electric bills are half that.

Consider buying a small block bungalow instead. You can save on electricity, you can homestead and save on taxes (we save $1400 a year), you won't have the same worries about hurricanes/insurance may be cheaper and you can title the home in an advantageous way as a couple.
Hard to sell and even come close to what you paid will never happen. I've never seen anything like it. People want to pay nothing when they buy your house. It's very disheartening to put money in the house, and never get it back. Lot rents are high. The electric can break the bank on these old basically trailers. I cannot recommend this type housing in this state. There is basically no value to the house. Some areas of the state. You are lucky to get 1500 for your used home. Yet you have put several thousand into it. It's especially distressing if you have replaced the AC. Yet the house won't even sell for the high cost of the new AC.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:22 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,794,402 times
That means you can buy a used mobile home with a new AC that somebody else has spent thousands on, and get a bargain.

It's not an investment, it's a lifestyle choice that is much cheaper than being house-poor, and somebody else paid your depreciation.
Just don't plan to sell it for a profit. Remember whoever you bought it from didn't make much profit from you either.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:17 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,025 times
BTW, you can actually find some in Over-55 communities on leased lot to be given away on Craigslist. Mom moved out/passed away, kids can't sell it, stuck with lot rent.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:55 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,428,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
BTW, you can actually find some in Over-55 communities on leased lot to be given away on Craigslist. Mom moved out/passed away, kids can't sell it, stuck with lot rent.
We found it was cheaper in the long run to pay someone to come in and demolish and remove a 50 yo mobile home and restore the lot in order to get out of the land rent. No one wants the buy that and at $500+/month land rent it was a crime what was being spent on something never used again. Only regret was it took us over a year to convince the relative to let us get rid of it for him.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:00 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Also remember parks usually don't want mobile homes that are over 10 years old moving in so if you get an old one it probably is never leaving where it sits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida