U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 06:48 AM

9,827 posts, read 15,307,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
Lakeland is not tropical. It has some of the most brutal summers in all of Florida, though. Intensely humid, with high heat indexes. You haven't known heat until you step out of the car on a July day in Lakeland. It is more than an hour to the beach, too.

You will find "tropical" palms growing all over Florida, often planted. They will not thrive in most of Florida, though. Palmettos are not really tropical plants. Florida looks like any other southern state in terms of the plants you find here, the only difference is there is a line below which kudzu will not grow. Mostly you will see lots of oak trees and palmettos. Some areas also have plants like holly growing as well, and I have even seen small catcuses growing wild in parts of Florida (actually near Lakeland).
Do you live here? Because your posts are always GREATLY exaggerated about the heat here. I actually live here, and have lived in Tampa, Sarasota, and Dade City. It is no hotter here to me than any of those other places, in fact where I live in the core of the city is is cooler, as I have lake breezes.

And for all you arguing about what is "tropical" for goodness sake, the OP only wanted to know if Lakeland at least seems tropical, and folks it definitely does seem that. There is tropical foliage everywhere - besides palms, you have bougainvillea, bananas, mangoes, crotons, pineapples and all kinds of things you usually only see further south.

To the OP - if you want real info, please feel free to send me a direct message, I will be glad to help any way I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 08:18 AM

1,782 posts, read 4,572,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh2020 View Post
I know this sounds stupid, but since I lived up north all my life, I always wanted to live in a tropical place with a warm climate all year long because I don't mind the heat. I know Lakeland isn't by a beach, but I can always drive to one, since Florida is surround by them. Also, I am soon to be a certified CT Tech, is this a good job for the area? I hope that the medical field pays well.

Most of florida is sub tropical, it is warm most of the year except for a few weeks here and there in the winter time.

Old 10-11-2008, 03:03 PM

5,974 posts, read 3,048,619 times
I do not think Lakeland looks tropical at all. If you want tropical, South East Florida is where you need to go. Just remember palm trees do not always equal tropical.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:38 AM

4,679 posts, read 4,656,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Do you live here? Because your posts are always GREATLY exaggerated about the heat here.
If anyone thinks it's hot in Lakeland, You should try living in LaBelle in Glades County...

Old 03-11-2009, 09:59 AM

29 posts, read 92,337 times
What about the central eastern part of Palm Beach County, in the West Palm Beach area? Does that at least *feel* somewhat semi-tropical ?

I know that technically, no part of Florida is tropical, even the Keys and Key West. All of Florida is above the Tropic of Cancer, therefor all of Florida sits in the subtropics. Although because Key West and Miami is 1 and 2 degrees above the Tropic of Cancer, respectively, that allows their climates to be almost tropical. Key West moreso since it never ever freezes in the lower Keys.

I've been to Orlando (central interior Florida), Daytona Beach (north-central east coast and Cocoa Beach (central-central east coast) in April of 1993, and I noticed the air and the water was significantly colder in Daytona Beach than it was in Cocoa Beach, and they're only about 75 miles apart, basicly the same region of Florida. It's not like Cocoa Beach is south Florida.

I've also read that everything south of the Bradenton-Vero Beach line has a tropical climate (even though its still the subtropics) and everything north of that line has a humid subtropical climate, which also means warm-temperate. Humid subtropical climates can still freeze. Anyone who lives in Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville, Tallahassee knows. We all know everything north of the southern 1/3 of Florida is does not feel tropical and it can get awfully cool in the winter.

I'm moving to West Palm Beach in the next week or so. It looks like WPB is almost at the northern edge of south Florida if you divide the state into thirds, north to south, including the Keys. For those of you that have lived in WPB and Miami areas, does WPB seem/look/feel similar to Miami in climate?

I can see myself living in WPB year round. When I'm in the mood for sitting in the water on the beach in January, even in the evenings, and getting the closest to a tropical environment that Florida has to offer, driving down to the Keys, camping at one of the state parks down there.

Last edited by SuburbanGuy; 03-11-2009 at 10:10 AM..

Old 06-24-2009, 02:23 AM

1 posts, read 3,219 times
Most of Florida IS tropical. I live in Rotonda Fl. Its Tropical. Its VERY warm in the summer was about 106 degrees today. i live very close to the ocean and harbor the air is cooler not that sticky hot feeling but for sure hot! Unless you want to go to Africa there really not to much more to get tropical than south florida. To who ever said go to South east florida ? Its less tropical than south west. South of Sarasota is where you want to be.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:52 AM

1,988 posts, read 4,404,193 times
I live in Orlando and I am very familiar with the whole state. I like that areas like Orlando (Lakeland being very close) are pretty tropical but also have a different mix of trees and styles of homes. If you want a really tropical locale I would go for the West coast of Florida anywhere from Clearwater down to Naples, the east coast I would pick somewhere from the Vero Beach area or south. I find Naples, Miami, Key West, etc. more tropical than Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville, etc.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:54 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,107,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanGuy View Post
What about the central eastern part of Palm Beach County, in the West Palm Beach area? Does that at least *feel* somewhat semi-tropical ?

Yes.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:14 PM

13 posts, read 19,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
What is making you look at Lakeland when there are so many other cities more tropical in FL? It's not driving distance to a beach from Lakeland...IMO. Driving distance is 30 minutes, maybe an hour...but longer than that, and after a day of sun...cash it in and get a hotel b/c you aren't going to want to drive all the way home!!!! LOL
Tampa is just south of Lakeland, and being a CT Tech...you'll find better pay and better jobs. Good luck. I know people who hire for that in Tampa if you want to DM me.
When I drive south of Lakeland, I always end up in Mulberry.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:29 PM

314 posts, read 646,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsynurse View Post
When I drive south of Lakeland, I always end up in Mulberry.

A really great "hot spot" for big paying jobs and gorgeous tropical feel!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida