Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Legalize medical marijuana in FL?
Yes, for amendment 2 59 73.75%
no, against amendment 2 14 17.50%
Not sure 7 8.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 10:02 AM

509 posts, read 516,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Marinol is a synthetic version of a single cannabinoid, expensive and doesn't work for everyone. You need to do your homework too.

Alcohol is legal in the U.S.constitution. tobacco is legal as well, both are arguably as bad if not worse than marijuana....Especially tobacco
Alcohol is not legal via the US constitution. Drinking is not a constitutional right. the 18th amendment made it illegal. The people realized making statutory amendments like that was a mistake, therefore the 21st amendment, simply repealed the 18th amendment.

Statutory amendments do not belong in our constitution. By voting in favor of this we will be making the same mistake that people made in 1917 by passing the 18th amendment. And the only way to fix any flaws in Amendment 2, would be to pass yet another amendment, or to repeal it. This needs to go through the legislature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2016, 10:52 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckRebel View Post
Alcohol is not legal via the US constitution. Drinking is not a constitutional right. the 18th amendment made it illegal. The people realized making statutory amendments like that was a mistake, therefore the 21st amendment, simply repealed the 18th amendment.

Statutory amendments do not belong in our constitution. By voting in favor of this we will be making the same mistake that people made in 1917 by passing the 18th amendment. And the only way to fix any flaws in Amendment 2, would be to pass yet another amendment, or to repeal it. This needs to go through the legislature.
Again you avoided the main point of why referendums exist in the first place.... they are a valuable tool when the legislature won't listen to the will of the people.

Ballot Measures Transform Into Political Chess Pieces For Special Interests : NPR
Thumbs Up For Higher Minimum Wages, And For Marijuana Industry : NPR

Old 09-24-2016, 11:26 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,118,662 times
Voting for it! It should be legal already because 2 years ago it got 58% of the vote.

Old 09-24-2016, 11:32 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
I'm voting against it and I am not changing my vote. Thank you very much.
I would do the same if I still lived in Florida. I guess I'm, as one poster put it, stupid.

Old 09-24-2016, 05:43 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,545 times
Voting for it.

Old 09-24-2016, 07:08 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
I'm voting against it and I am not changing my vote. Thank you very much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I would do the same if I still lived in Florida. I guess I'm, as one poster put it, stupid.
The people who are dying from cancer and could use much needed pain relief appreciate your compassion.

Old 09-24-2016, 07:58 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
The people who are dying from cancer and could use much needed pain relief appreciate your compassion.
Is it really going to be used medically or is that just an excuse for medication like all the pain medication given to people who did not need it, but wanted the drug? Using it properly is one thing, using "medicine' as an excuse to make it easier to get, is another Kinda like Opium. OK for pain, bit not for fun, as it were.

What are the restrictions on the use?

Old 09-24-2016, 09:22 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Is it really going to be used medically or is that just an excuse for medication like all the pain medication given to people who did not need it, but wanted the drug? Using it properly is one thing, using "medicine' as an excuse to make it easier to get, is another Kinda like Opium. OK for pain, bit not for fun, as it were.

What are the restrictions on the use?
This is the list of conditions that would qualify:
  • cancer
  • epilepsy
  • glaucoma
  • HIV
  • AIDS
  • post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
  • amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
  • Crohn's disease
  • Parkinson's disease
  • multiple sclerosis

It's up to the doctors and politicians to make sure that only those who qualify are able to access it.

Comparing cannabis to opium is like comparing apples to oranges. If there are doctors who unlawfully supply to patients, then it's up to the legal system to prosecute them. Denying people (some with conditions that will kill them) relief because of the possibility of someone illegally obtaining cannabis is immoral in my opinion.

Old 09-25-2016, 06:47 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
This is the list of conditions that would qualify:
  • cancer
  • epilepsy
  • glaucoma
  • HIV
  • AIDS
  • post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
  • amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
  • Crohn's disease
  • Parkinson's disease
  • multiple sclerosis

It's up to the doctors and politicians to make sure that only those who qualify are able to access it.

Comparing cannabis to opium is like comparing apples to oranges. If there are doctors who unlawfully supply to patients, then it's up to the legal system to prosecute them. Denying people (some with conditions that will kill them) relief because of the possibility of someone illegally obtaining cannabis is immoral in my opinion.
Legal narcotics are much more potent than heroin, like fentanyl. Marijuana would be much better than narcotics for helping pain from a side effects standpoint, and would help nausea, not make it worse like narcotics do

Old 09-26-2016, 09:51 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,823,614 times
I'm OK with medical. But I read many things from proponents who indicate this is just a stepping stone towards the ultimate goal which is legalized recreational use.

Plus, most people I see trying to get me to sign a petition look and act like Jeff Spicoli causing me to be quite skeptical.

Last edited by HWTechGuy; 09-26-2016 at 10:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: