Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Legalize medical marijuana in FL?
Yes, for amendment 2 59 73.75%
no, against amendment 2 14 17.50%
Not sure 7 8.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 03:48 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times

Advertisements

My wife and I just sent in our ballots. That is 2 yes votes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 04:32 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,119,019 times
Ballot mailed. Voted yes!

Old 10-17-2016, 11:06 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,138,222 times
'Yes,' although I don't appreciate that this needs to be done in the manner that it's being done. Yet another reason to vote non-supportive and ineffectual incumbents out.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:43 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
My main reason for voting 'Yes' is that the politicians have turned the 'War on Drugs' into a war on people and a means of seizing property for its benefit. There are people serving a life sentence for marijuana possession. Police stop people, seize cars, money on the pretext that it might be used for drug trafficking. No drugs found, and people have to sue the police to get their property back.

Yes, will benefit from the amendment because i have a degenerative disease in the same category as MS. But my goal is actual legalization since the police have turned millions into criminals for having a minimal amount of marijuana, ruining their lives and costing us tens of millions in prison expenses....all for someone having a joint in their pocket.

Old 10-20-2016, 03:43 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,525,830 times
In my youth I was an elected District Attorney in conservative Texas. Each DA's office has a limited amount of funds and I would have to decide case by case whether to fully pursue marijuana or violent crimes. It was an easy decision as violent offenders often repeat.

Some say well the (pot offenders) usually get probation -- but then probation officers who sometimes have huge caseloads have to decide -- do I want to make sure that pot smoker is in his home by 10Pm or the sex prowler.

I've followed this in Colorado. A Denver Post poll asked "Would you vote to legalize all over again?" The answer was a resounded YES. Another study determined young people were no more likely to use after it became legal. Perhaps the thrill of breaking the law is gone.

Colorado has had an economic boom. More money in the treasury, more visitors. I asked a pot shop if they had lots of out of state customers. They took me to a room with a pin map-- umm yes -mostly New Mexico but lots from Cal and Texas too.

620,000 Americans were arrested in 2015--thats good job new for attorneys, police, probation officers, chemists, their staff but it sucks for the rest of us.

I hope Florida votes YES

Old 10-20-2016, 05:32 PM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
In my youth I was an elected District Attorney in conservative Texas. Each DA's office has a limited amount of funds and I would have to decide case by case whether to fully pursue marijuana or violent crimes. It was an easy decision as violent offenders often repeat.

Some say well the (pot offenders) usually get probation -- but then probation officers who sometimes have huge caseloads have to decide -- do I want to make sure that pot smoker is in his home by 10Pm or the sex prowler.

I've followed this in Colorado. A Denver Post poll asked "Would you vote to legalize all over again?" The answer was a resounded YES. Another study determined young people were no more likely to use after it became legal. Perhaps the thrill of breaking the law is gone.

Colorado has had an economic boom. More money in the treasury, more visitors. I asked a pot shop if they had lots of out of state customers. They took me to a room with a pin map-- umm yes -mostly New Mexico but lots from Cal and Texas too.

620,000 Americans were arrested in 2015--thats good job new for attorneys, police, probation officers, chemists, their staff but it sucks for the rest of us.

I hope Florida votes YES
Did Colorado voters have to change the State Constitution to achieve legalization of marijuana?

I am in favor of full legalization, regulation and taxation of marijuana and other such substances, even for recreational use (personally I don't, and I don't even have a drop of alcohol in the house) and even better if it leads to market players issuing bonds and listing on the stock exchange, just like tabacco, alcohol and arms companies, so as to level and democratize the economic playing field a bit.

However, like poster #2, I feel it would be preferable if legalization comes through a change in State statutes through the legislature, or even a popular referendum to change the statutes, but not the State Constitution, which indeed is a horrible, horrible, horrible idea.

What was the mechanism in Colorado?

Old 10-20-2016, 07:00 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,656,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Barbosa View Post
I sincerely hope it passes ... No one should have to suffer in pain.

Agree 1,000%

Old 11-08-2016, 10:17 AM

2,530 posts, read 1,863,511 times
If polls are accurate, this ballot WILL pass today.

Five other states are voting to legalize recreational marijuana use. Arkansas has a vote for medical marijuana but it is evenly split.

Maybe FL will legalize recreational use in the 2020s.

Old 11-08-2016, 04:14 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times
I voted today and yes on #2 !

Old 11-08-2016, 06:40 PM

6 posts, read 5,510 times
It has officially passed, and won in a landslide. 76.9% in favor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: