U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 07:30 AM

2,909 posts, read 13,316,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
We did get a good price even in 2003. We got in in the beginning stages of a new development and chose a plan that was preliminary since the builder had not built it before. We went into it knowing there could be changes since this was the model plan and there were - but we got to talk with the architects and designers and agreed that almost all the changes were good. That's why we got such a good price - even for those days. Whether it's worth 450K today - I can't say - but that's still only about $144 a square foot and that doesn't include the pool, summer kitchen, etc. I can't imagine you could build a decent home too many places today for less than $100-125 a sqaure foot - even in the cheapest areas.

Anyway, my purpose for posting was so that people could have actual figures and compare apples to apples on utilities, taxes, insurance, etc. Florida is certainly not the deal it was before about 2001, but compared to alot of places, parts of Florida are still liveable.

Good posts. I did realize it was a good price even by 2003 standards. $144 a square foot is alot, theres many other desirable areas in states like Georgia and Texas that cost half that!(one couple paid $69 a square foot in Georgia for a brand new house, a nice one at that recently) You can build a house as cheap as $40 a square foot today and this isnt a piece of junk either but not a luxury house and the location is OK but not highly desirable. I can get a 4000 total square feet(about 2800-3000 living) for $200-250k in Georgia around Atlanta too. This is as little as $50 a total square feet($67 a living)
I know this arent Florida but many of us agree Florida prices are way out of wack! Another poster said would you pay $450 for that house today? I dont know about you but there is no way I would!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
That was the price in 2003. But would you buy the same home today at 475k ? the market just went nuts.
As long as people keep buying and paying those insane prices, high prices are here to stay. You could get a house this nice for half the price(or less) in Georgia or Texas and those arent bad states/locations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineState View Post
WOW!!! You pay only $1600 to insure a home valued at $400K!!!!!!! Thats amazing because I pay $3600 to insure a house that is 2400 sq foot valued at $250K and on 3.1 acres my brother pays $5300 to insure a 900 sq foot home valued at $150K (no property) and my mom and dad pay $4200 to insure a 1800 sq foot home valued at $150K (no property) It just goes to show how corrupt these insurance companies are. ALL of our homes are NOT on the water, no flood, and are currently up to the highest codes!

If I had to guess, maybe they locked onto a special insurance rate deal. Also maybe you live in a much higher hurricane risk area than this poster. If your that unhappy with the insurance rate then just cancel it. My parents will be cancelling theirs if it goes up more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHomeIsInOcala View Post
Right now, you can build a 2300 heated sq ft home with a true 24x24 2 car garage on over 1/2 acre for about $169K. Sure it is only 3 bed 2 & 1/2 bath, with a bonus room over the garge, but add a basement roughed with a 3rd bath and 2 or 3 more bedrooms and it can be purchased new for $189K in NE Ohio. This is with a block & pour footer system (It is not Hurricane proof, but it has no need to be). It is even cheaper to build a PolySteal home.

You can build that kind of house in a better location and climate for about the same price. NE OH is quite cold in the winter. Id much rather build in north Georgia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian11 View Post
Out of curiosity....since FL is becoming Southern California (and we are begining to see signs of that with skyrocketing violent crime, 42 muders in Orlando this year alone, high home prices, absurd insurance costs, massive traffic jams and road rage, wages that are not keeping up with cost of living), then why stay or move here? (snip too long quote)

I agree with everything you said. I bet some people dont even realize theres a whole world outside Florida with cheaper houses and lower costs of living. I was planning to buy a mobile home in Florida(since thats all I could afford) and discovered I can get nice houses for $50k by relocating. Id much rather enjoy a nice house and I could use a change of seasons as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2006, 07:38 AM

13,395 posts, read 42,103,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
You could get a house this nice for half the price(or less) in Georgia or Texas and those arent bad states/location.
That's fine for people who want to live in Georgia or Texas.
But cheaper isn't always better--especially if you like the beach.
We looked at the Sea Islands (off the coast of Georgia) last weekend.
Jekyll Island was an interesting place, it is state-owned, very undeveloped and has lease-hold property there.
We really liked Amelia Island, Florida, the best though.
None of those beaches can hold a candle to northwest Florida, but we might not be able to stay here.

Old 11-30-2006, 07:44 AM

208 posts, read 929,381 times
You guys really think people are stupid and naive and just buying houses in Florida because its climate and tourist traps? I mean honestly some people in this forum need to get off their high horse. I realize not everybody does extensive research before they make the move but I for one have been doing exhaustive research for 8 months before I decided to make the move.

You guys keep saying you can find houses so much cheaper in some of these other states and they have great paying jobs and the areas are nice and there's less crime,etc. Are you kidding?? Every area has it's tradeoffs. I'm sorry, I just can't agree with you on this. Sure, Georgia or Texas may be perfect for you and your family. Great, have fun there and enjoy. But don't go telling people not to move to Florida because you think it's a hole in the wall. The grass is always greener on the other side. I have lived in the following states/areas:
Vermont, Western Massachusettes, Long Island NY, Maryland, Mississippi, El Paso TX and Santa Rosa CA. Every one of those areas had pluses and minuses. I could go off on the pros and cons for days. But there's no point because you're probably covering your ears and making stupid sounds becuase you don't want to hear the other side of it.

I work in Technology and I am pretty certain I will get a decent salary in the Orlando area. I bought a house that was heavily discounted because it was an inventory home. The property insurance is higher than what I pay now but it's not insane like some of the other areas you guys have mentioned. Property taxes are about half of what I pay.

Do me a favor, for each of the areas you guys are telling people are much better than Florida -- give me a list of 10 solid things that are so much better about those areas than Florida?

Old 11-30-2006, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
That's fine for people who want to live in Georgia or Texas.
But cheaper isn't always better--especially if you like the beach.
We looked at the Sea Islands (off the coast of Georgia) last weekend.
Jekyll Island was an interesting place, it is state-owned, very undeveloped and has lease-hold property there.
We really liked Amelia Island, Florida, the best though.
None of those beaches can hold a candle to northwest Florida, but we might not be able to stay here.

Sometimes you cant have everything you want. It may be the best for you and your family to relocate. I would stay in Florida if houses were still under $100k. I can not live a middle class lifestyle in Florida, a mobile home is all I could afford. But by relocating, I can afford a nice 4 bedroom house with basement and attic plus costs of living is lower too. My money is "worth" like 4 times more in a place such as Oil City, PA than WPB, FL. Houses cost a sixth as much! Insurance is $0(I wont waste money insuring, no hurricanes up there) and property taxes is a few hundred a year, not thousands!

Oh good, someone left me a neg. for that post and called me a "simple boy" Wow that was rude! Its sad to see all the rude people are in Florida, they are rude even here! Gives me all the more reason to move out. You stay here if you want, I dont need any of this rudeness!

Old 11-30-2006, 08:09 AM

I understand the cost of living is definitely better in many places, probably most places. But you have to understand, the rest of Florida is not necessarily like WPB! My friend lives in WPB and I've heard about some of the nightmares his neighbors and friends are running into with property taxes, etc. Not all of Florida has the same dilemma though. Granted, the cost of houses in most of Florida is much higher than is should be, but it's not all as bad as the coastal areas.

Old 11-30-2006, 08:12 AM

13,395 posts, read 42,103,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
S. My money is "worth" like 4 times more in a place such as Oil City, PA than WPB, FL. Houses cost a sixth as much! Insurance is $0(I wont waste money insuring, no hurricanes up there) and property taxes is a few hundred a year, not thousands!
:
I don't give negs, it wasn't me, NAH.

That's great that your money is worth 4 times more in Oil City.
And yes, we know we will relocate.
But quality of life is going to influence where we settle.
For us, our decision is going to rest on more than how much house we can buy in the north or midwest.

Old 11-30-2006, 08:17 AM

Not getting insurance is foolish anywhere you go! You think hurricanes are the only thing to happen to homes?

Let's see, in Vermont we had a couple claims on our house due to ice storms destroying our roof and bursting our pipes. That wasn't cheap to fix. Then in NY, we had raccoons eat through our roof ( i know it sounds crazy), which ended up costing us a whole new roof. One of my neighbors in Santa Rosa had someone break into their house and steal a ton of their stuff and then urinate all over the place. So you tell me how you can afford NOT to insure?!

Old 11-30-2006, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomoresubways View Post
I understand the cost of living is definitely better in many places, probably most places. But you have to understand, the rest of Florida is not necessarily like WPB! My friend lives in WPB and I've heard about some of the nightmares his neighbors and friends are running into with property taxes, etc. Not all of Florida has the same dilemma though. Granted, the cost of houses in most of Florida is much higher than is should be, but it's not all as bad as the coastal areas.

Theres some cheaper areas where I can get a 3/2 house and 10 acres of land for $200k in north Florida. Good if you have $200k. Vacent land goes for as cheap as $10k an acre for large amounts of a1 zoned land. Costal areas of Florida cost more because they are closer to the beach and ocean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
I don't give negs, it wasn't me, NAH.

That's great that your money is worth 4 times more in Oil City.
And yes, we know we will relocate.
But quality of life is going to influence where we settle.
For us, our decision is going to rest on more than how much house we can buy in the north or midwest.

I know but whoever gave the neg, I feel sorry for his lack of manners and poor atitude. Florida needs a change of atitudes, 90% of the negs were recieved by Florida posters! Oil city ranks high for me, does it for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomoresubways View Post
Not getting insurance is foolish anywhere you go! You think hurricanes are the only thing to happen to homes?

Let's see, in Vermont we had a couple claims on our house due to ice storms destroying our roof and bursting our pipes. That wasn't cheap to fix. Then in NY, we had raccoons eat through our roof ( i know it sounds crazy), which ended up costing us a whole new roof. One of my neighbors in Santa Rosa had someone break into their house and steal a ton of their stuff and then urinate all over the place. So you tell me how you can afford NOT to insure?!
Sure if the insurance companies are willing to insure at break even. But they insure high enough that they get rich. Some people are so frustrated by insane insurance costs(especially Florida) that they just cancel it and take the chance and save many thousands.

Old 11-30-2006, 09:13 AM

Don't get me wrong, I can't stand the monopoly that these insurance companies have. But they basically have us right where they want us. I can't imagine NOT having my house insured, or my car, or my health for that matter. You can take the chance but honestly, one bad thing happens and it can wipe you out. In Florida, where some of those insurance costs are absolutely insane, Ok I can understand. But I'm sure the areas you are talking about relocating to have much lower insurance costs. My insurance in NY is about $750/yr, and that includes wind damage because we are on the south shore of LI!

Old 11-30-2006, 09:58 AM

627 posts, read 2,686,225 times
Quote:
Need_affordable_home You can build that kind of house in a better location and climate for about the same price. NE OH is quite cold in the winter. Id much rather build in north Georgia.
Yes, you are right, Plus, You can do it here too, IF you personally take charge of the entire building process, hire your own sub-trades and do some work yourself. There are still areas (Not in Sub-divisions) where you can buy lots suitable to build on for under $15K-$20K.

I was mainly replying to the notion that you can not build a large home in OH today for relatively the same cost... that is all.

I have also noticed that the cost of installation on a septic here is high. I paid $2000 for the last house in 2002 to have a full system installed on a 2400 sq ft home in Alabama. We might build a home here, but more than likely we will leave when this job is finished... unless issues with Homesteading, Insurance, and Schools improve. I can not say that any one place is actually BETTER or WORSE on a state level, but that all depends on what your personal preference, monetary spending habits and or what kind of work you do.

Oh, and the cold is not so bad, when you have a home in the south to winter in! On a personal note, I compare the Chilling Cold to the Extreme Humid Heat (I lost 1/2 a lung, so each is uncomfy to me). I am wimpy with weather now!!

PS: I too still like GA, it has been our favorite place (other than Germany) so far!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida