U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 10:46 AM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
340 posts, read 330,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Sometimes you cant have everything you want. It may be the best for you and your family to relocate. I would stay in Florida if houses were still under $100k. I can not live a middle class lifestyle in Florida, a mobile home is all I could afford. But by relocating, I can afford a nice 4 bedroom house with basement and attic plus costs of living is lower too. My money is "worth" like 4 times more in a place such as Oil City, PA than WPB, FL. Houses cost a sixth as much! Insurance is $0(I wont waste money insuring, no hurricanes up there) and property taxes is a few hundred a year, not thousands!

Oh good, someone left me a neg. for that post and called me a "simple boy" Wow that was rude! Its sad to see all the rude people are in Florida, they are rude even here! Gives me all the more reason to move out. You stay here if you want, I dont need any of this rudeness!
He doesn't understand, Need-Afforidable_Home. There is a middle-class squeeze in Florida. We, middle class folks, young couples, families with kids... CANNOT afford anything in Florida. We rea being driven out. We had to move from Orlando (MetroWest) to Oviedo because a 2/2 apt in Orlando was going for $1,300 a month. How can anyone afford that?!?

Wages are not holding up to the costs. I meet and lose friends that move back to their home states every few months. People come down with the "Florida dream" and they leave witha good dose of reality.

Moderator cut: unfounded

Just remember that if you want reality, do some major research before moving. If you believe the sugar-coated versions from the realtors here, you will be sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2006, 11:05 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,395,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Theres some cheaper areas where I can get a 3/2 house and 10 acres of land for $200k in north Florida. Good if you have $200k. Vacent land goes for as cheap as $10k an acre for large amounts of a1 zoned land. Costal areas of Florida cost more because they are closer to the beach and ocean.

I know but whoever gave the neg, I feel sorry for his lack of manners and poor atitude. Florida needs a change of atitudes, 90% of the negs were recieved by Florida posters! Oil city ranks high for me, does it for you?

Sure if the insurance companies are willing to insure at break even. But they insure high enough that they get rich. Some people are so frustrated by insane insurance costs(especially Florida) that they just cancel it and take the chance and save many thousands.
You can't just cancel your insurance unless you own the house free and clear. You said you didn't plan on having any insurance in another post but you also don't have any money to buy a house. How do you plan on doing that? The storm part is a part of the policy. I could not in my wildest imagination think of not carrying fire and liability? Forget the house getting blown down, that can be nothing to having someone sue you. Have you even owned a house?

The person who started this thread told a nice story of how you can have your cake and eat it too regarding building your own house from their own personal experience. I told the same type story recently. Why are you debating them, you don't have a clue or know what you are talking about at all. They actually did it, it was not a fantasy like yours. I suggest you go get that great $50,000 house that is so fantastic and enjoy yourself, the rest of us will live in the real world.

Old 11-30-2006, 11:56 AM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
That's fine for people who want to live in Georgia or Texas.
But cheaper isn't always better--especially if you like the beach.
Cil, it is not about WANTING to move. To some, they don't have a choice, unless they are rich.

We could stay here in Orlando and rent forever (until rent goes past the current $1,300/month mark for a 2/2 apt) but what then? We could also buy something in Orlando that we cannot safely afford in terms of a home and have stomach ulcers every month for the next 10 years with the payments.

We take the road less traveled, tough out the winters and enjoy cooler summers, and live better, healthier, and in peace. After a while, watching people cuss at each other in bumper-to-bumper traffic gets old.

Hate is bad, man. Orlando has too much anger for my taste.

Old 11-30-2006, 12:11 PM

243 posts, read 1,010,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian11 View Post
Cil, it is not about WANTING to move. To some, they don't have a choice, unless they are rich.

We could stay here in Orlando and rent forever (until rent goes past the current $1,300/month mark for a 2/2 apt) but what then? We could also buy something in Orlando that we cannot safely afford in terms of a home and have stomach ulcers every month for the next 10 years with the payments.

We take the road less traveled, tough out the winters and enjoy cooler summers, and live better, healthier, and in peace. After a while, watching people cuss at each other in bumper-to-bumper traffic gets old.

Hate is bad, man. Orlando has too much anger for my taste.

Let me tell you a secret chief --YOU"RE GETTING SCREWED!!! I rent a 2 bedroom 2 bath condo (converted 2nd bedroom into part of the living room), in a high rise oceanfront condo right on the freakin beach here in expensive South Florida, fully furnished, ocean AND intracoastal views, for $1350/month. NO BS. Just signed the 1 year lease in October. If I were you I'd focus more on shopping around and negotiating with landlords and less time worrying about how the state of Florida is making you miserable. Just some friendly advice.

Old 11-30-2006, 12:17 PM

251 posts, read 806,957 times
If I had to guess, maybe they locked onto a special insurance rate deal. Also maybe you live in a much higher hurricane risk area than this poster. If your that unhappy with the insurance rate then just cancel it. My parents will be cancelling theirs if it goes up more.

That would be a great idea to cancel our homeowners insurance however what shall I tell my mortgage company?? Besides that is not the answer to the problem these insrance companies are raping people, they want NO risk and lots and lots of profit!

Old 11-30-2006, 12:24 PM

251 posts, read 806,957 times
Do me a favor, for each of the areas you guys are telling people are much better than Florida -- give me a list of 10 solid things that are so much better about those areas than Florida?[/quote]

My friends moved to Tennessee a couple of years ago and here goes with your list of "10" SOLID things better than where I live now.

1. Little to no traffic
2. Low Crime
3. Low Property Taxes
4. Low Homeowners Insurance
5. More land for your dollar
6. More house for your dollar
7 4 seasons
8 Better Schools (Florida is ranked at the bottom of the US)
9 Small town enviorment (Use to be that way here)
10 Beautiful Parks, Greenery & Scenery that is not cluttered with people!

Old 11-30-2006, 12:47 PM

12 posts, read 41,567 times
Quote:
FWIW, I'd expect that house to sell for about $600,000 depending where about in east Orlando.
Here's the problem... with the current market in Florida, it won't sell at ALL. Lots of folks are going to be shocked as their "equity" vanishes as the market continues to fall. Check out Moderator cut: URL Cut . Really scarey stuff!

NOTHING is selling right now -- I had to make a major price reduction on my home to get it sold... with any luck, I'll be in Tennessee by Christmas! And yes, SunshineState, I agree with those 10 things. My daughter and her husband moved south of Nashville a few weeks ago for all those same reasons!

Last edited by cdeneve; 11-30-2006 at 12:58 PM..

Old 11-30-2006, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDog View Post
Let me tell you a secret chief --YOU"RE GETTING SCREWED!!! I rent a 2 bedroom 2 bath condo (converted 2nd bedroom into part of the living room), in a high rise oceanfront condo right on the freakin beach here in expensive South Florida, fully furnished, ocean AND intracoastal views, for $1350/month. NO BS. Just signed the 1 year lease in October. If I were you I'd focus more on shopping around and negotiating with landlords and less time worrying about how the state of Florida is making you miserable. Just some friendly advice.
Go to www.ForRent.com and do a search. If it is too cheap, it is probably in the ghetto. See http://www.apartmentratings.com/ for what people say about the rentals.

My issue with FL is not just about paying too much for rent. It is also not being able to buy and salaries staggering. Cost of living is too high, wouldn't you agree?

Dude, I do a good job researching and negotiating, but demand kind of kills that. Check the MetroWest area in Orlando and see if prices are not starting at $1,000 for a 1/1.

Old 11-30-2006, 02:01 PM

627 posts, read 2,617,986 times
Smile Ten Things… Should this have it's own Discussion??

Hmmmm

10 + Things about the N.E. US (I based mine on OH, althoug NY has many of the same qualities)

1) Lower price of home ownership (all the way around)
2) Far Better Schools (and more Vocational Centers for the older HS Students)
3) Crisp Fresh Air, Scenic Water Falls and Beautiful Ridge Lines (in the fall are painted w/ vivid hues of orange, umber, red & gold on the Maple, Oaks, Poplars and such)
4) Acreage that will not bankrupt you
5) Less Road Rage
6) Friendly People who Smile AND Wave as you pass by
7) Mosquito Control!!!!
8) Mid Summer Skinny Dipping w/NO Gators! (maybe that should be closer to the top??) LOL
9) Symphonic Halls and Century Old Museums
10) Small Towns with US Flags waving w/pride off the local power poles and residents' porches
11) Ability to see a doctor immediately when needed (not waiting for 1 to 6 weeks)
12) Christmas Caroling In The Snow! (that is always fun!!)
13) Eddie's Grill and Time Square French Fries with the kids at Geneva On The Lake! What a Blast!
14) Genesee Cream Ale (Hahahahaha)
OH... Did I mention No Gators?

Ten + things I like about FL:

1) Warm Winters
2) White Sand Beaches (those ARE the best!)
3) Sunshine more often than not
4) Seeing the Manatees up close
5) I can have a Real Pink Flamingo in my yard
6) Dolphins in the Bay
7) Wearing flip flops and goofy shirts all year and not get laughed at
8) My cars are less likely to rust (but now they have dents from nit wits and their car doors)
9) No state income tax
10) Huge old Oaks and Pines laced with Stag horn Moss during a gentle breeze
11) Wild Orchids
12) The Worlds Best Cuban Sandwiches! Mmmm!!!
13) Showing classic Christmas movies on the side of the house (via Projection) and sharing hot coco on a cool (not cold) Dec. evening! Everyone bring a lawn chair, and $0.50 to help pay the electric bill… just kidding about bringing change!!) hahaha

Old 11-30-2006, 02:19 PM

208 posts, read 911,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHomeIsInOcala View Post
Hmmmm

10 + Things about the N.E. US (I based mine on OH, althoug NY has many of the same qualities)

1) Lower price of home ownership (all the way around)
2) Far Better Schools (and more Vocational Centers for the older HS Students)
3) Crisp Fresh Air, Scenic Water Falls and Beautiful Ridge Lines (in the fall are painted w/ vivid hues of orange, umber, red & gold on the Maple, Oaks, Poplars and such)
4) Acreage that will not bankrupt you
5) Less Road Rage
6) Friendly People who Smile AND Wave as you pass by
7) Mosquito Control!!!!
8) Mid Summer Skinny Dipping w/NO Gators! (maybe that should be closer to the top??) LOL
9) Symphonic Halls and Century Old Museums
10) Small Towns with US Flags waving w/pride off the local power poles and residents' porches
11) Ability to see a doctor immediately when needed (not waiting for 1 to 6 weeks)
12) Christmas Caroling In The Snow! (that is always fun!!)
13) Eddie's Grill and Time Square French Fries with the kids at Geneva On The Lake! What a Blast!
14) Genesee Cream Ale (Hahahahaha)
OH... Did I mention No Gators?
Ok I'm just going to respond to your 10 items about the N.E., at least from NY perspective.

1) Lower price of home ownership? Where? Anywhere in NY, CT, NJ, MA, CT is going to be much more expensive all around then Florida.

2) Yes, I agree, schools are definitely better in general

3) Well I live on LI, so we don't get the crisp fresh air. But yes, I agree, the nice fall colors are excellent. But I've seen some nice lakes and rivers in Florida, at least where I bought.

4) Acreage is pretty expensive in many areas, especially the tri-state area. Property taxes are higher too.

5) Less Road Rage? Have you ever driven the Long Island Expressway, the Cross Bronx Expressway, Southern State Parkway, etc? You haven't seen road rage.

6) I'm not sure about the friendly people smiling and waving. I think that's a wash. The area I bought in Florida had smiling waving people too...

7) Mosquitos are TERRIBLE in the summer. Very very bad.

8) Not really sure where you can go mid summer skinny dipping without getting caught. Are you talking about at home?

9) Symphonic Halls and Century Old Museums - That certainly isn't in every town. You have to drive a considerable ways in many areas to find that.

10) Small Towns with US Flags waving w/pride off the local power poles and residents' porches. - Yeah in some towns. There are no towns like that in Florida at all??

11) Ability to see a doctor immediately when needed (not waiting for 1 to 6 weeks) - Don't even talk to me about getting in to see a doctor. Or even the emergency room! It is HORRIBLE around here.

12) Christmas Caroling In The Snow! (that is always fun!!) - I can't remember the last time we had snow at Christmas time. Maybe some flurries but not actual snow on the ground. Maybe 4 years ago?

13) Eddie's Grill and Time Square French Fries with the kids at Geneva On The Lake! What a Blast! - That I cannot comment on!

14) Genesee Cream Ale (Hahahahaha) - Can't really comment on that either, but I'll trust you

My point is, 10 things one person finds important aren't important to others. I'm not belittling your comments at all, in fact I appreciate them. I'm just saying those don't apply to me because they're in different states/areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or