U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 06:34 PM

22,576 posts, read 49,440,850 times

Advertisements

Well, okay. Maybe so.

But there are people with middle-aged families with decent jobs that had to move out of Florida. I'm one of them!

But perhaps you are right.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2006, 06:48 PM

4,948 posts, read 17,297,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomoresubways View Post
Well Sunshine, based on your list, I guess I know why my Dad is looking to buy a house in Tennessee now. He's retiring in February and for some reason is attracted to the Chattanooga area. He is looking at a new construction inventory home that is around 135k (isn't that sick??!)
I want to go to chattanooga also, I got a newsletter today
saying that area is full steam ahead trying to attract the retired to the area.

Old 12-01-2006, 07:13 PM

22,576 posts, read 49,440,850 times
I bet they do! There are no jobs.

Beautiful city, though. Very cosmopolitan. I wonder how retirees would like it, though. No gated communities. Lots of college kids. I would think that they are all heading to Tellico Lake! I figure they have all bought into the Erik Estrada infomercial!

Old 12-01-2006, 07:14 PM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
340 posts, read 361,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BevL View Post
HOLY COW!!!!! A house like that for $241K????!!!!! You couldn't have done anything NEAR that size house here in Ohio for that price- and we aren't even in the real estate boom that Florida enjoys! You'd be lucky to build that for $450k here!

But thank you for the details. Even your insurance doesn't sound as bad as I thought it would be. Geez, I'm paying $1100/year now and we don't exactly have a hurricane risk up here. All the other expenses you listed are also right in line with what we now pay.

Good info to know- thanks!
Dude, that was waaaaay back in the day. Nowadays, a $250k house is a piece of crap next door to a crackhouse.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:51 PM

1,683 posts, read 7,761,083 times
Nowadays, a $250k house is a piece of crap next door to a crackhouse.

This is just not true. Go to realtor dot com and type in Orlando, set the parameters at 250 - 275. I just did and got over 800 homes for sale in Orlando in this price range. MOST of them were newer 3/2 homes in middle class subdivisions. Some of them closer into town were older style homes and some needed work. There was some of everything - BUT there were ALOT of decent homes in good areas in the 250 price range.

Old 12-01-2006, 11:18 PM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com....aspx?GT1=8692

Check this link out for some home-buying wisdom!

Old 12-01-2006, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
Nowadays, a $250k house is a piece of crap next door to a crackhouse.

This is just not true. Go to realtor dot com and type in Orlando, set the parameters at 250 - 275. I just did and got over 800 homes for sale in Orlando in this price range. MOST of them were newer 3/2 homes in middle class subdivisions. Some of them closer into town were older style homes and some needed work. There was some of everything - BUT there were ALOT of decent homes in good areas in the 250 price range.
Have you seen the neighborhoods those houses are in??

Several are in Pine Hills (aka "Crime Hills") or very close to it. Several are in little Mexico (East Orlando), where the billboards, businesses, churches, pre-schools are all in Spanish. The rest are very very old (pre-1992 and much older). Your Homeowner's Insurance will be astronomical because it is built pre-Hurricane Andrew.

Fixer uppers in FL can spell trouble, due to the high humidity and pre-disposition for mold. MOld is big in FL and other southern states. Hurricane-damaged homes pretty much all have mold and a stigma associated with them. When you try to sell a hurricane house, you have to disclose it on the Seller's Discolsure. If you lie, you can sued later.

Then you have property taxes and HOA fees and all the rest of the expenses. You will be foreclosed upon, if you don't make at least $60k - $70k per year. That is IF you don't just get up and move due to the horrible neighborhoods thouse houses are in!!

$250k will get you nothing in Orlando, maybe a crappy condo where you will hear your neighbors flushing their toilets all night long. Maybe father out in the county area, you can get something for $250k but not even near Orlando.

45min - 1h commute minimum (like most of my co-workers do). The other option, of course, is to get some crappy house in a bad 'hood and live in fear. Either way, doesn't sound like fun.

Last edited by Christian11; 12-01-2006 at 11:28 PM.. Reason: Oops, forgot to add...

Old 12-02-2006, 03:05 AM

2,909 posts, read 13,316,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian11 View Post
Have you seen the neighborhoods those houses are in??

Several are in Pine Hills (aka "Crime Hills") or very close to it. Several are in little Mexico (East Orlando), where the billboards, businesses, churches, pre-schools are all in Spanish. The rest are very very old (pre-1992 and much older). Your Homeowner's Insurance will be astronomical because it is built pre-Hurricane Andrew.

Fixer uppers in FL can spell trouble, due to the high humidity and pre-disposition for mold. MOld is big in FL and other southern states. Hurricane-damaged homes pretty much all have mold and a stigma associated with them. When you try to sell a hurricane house, you have to disclose it on the Seller's Discolsure. If you lie, you can sued later.

Then you have property taxes and HOA fees and all the rest of the expenses. You will be foreclosed upon, if you don't make at least $60k - $70k per year. That is IF you don't just get up and move due to the horrible neighborhoods thouse houses are in!!

$250k will get you nothing in Orlando, maybe a crappy condo where you will hear your neighbors flushing their toilets all night long. Maybe father out in the county area, you can get something for $250k but not even near Orlando.

45min - 1h commute minimum (like most of my co-workers do). The other option, of course, is to get some crappy house in a bad 'hood and live in fear. Either way, doesn't sound like fun.

Has Orlando become as expensive as West Palm Beach? That is just insane! I know $250k will get you a very nice 3/2 condo or townhouse in WPB or a half decent detached house in a somewhat questionable neighboorhood.
No matter, a quarter million is alot of money and isnt affordable to the majority of middle class people

Old 12-02-2006, 09:04 AM

1,683 posts, read 7,761,083 times
This is NOT true. Yes, SOME of the homes are in Pine Hills. Did you look at the zip codes? Pine Hills zip codes is 32808. If you expanded it to include the Lockhart area north of Pine Hills (another lower income/crime area) - there were only 3 out of the first 50 homes in those areas. Everything else was in a decent area. Most told the communities where the homes were located. I know the neighborhoods some of these homes are in such as Waterford Lakes and they are a far cry from what you are describing! Heck, I live in a newer upscale neighborhood and there a couple of smaller (1800 sq. foot) homes here listed for $285,000.

Not cheap and perhaps alot of middle class people just starting out without a downpayment or any equity cannot afford it. But to say you can find NOTHING in Orlando for around 250K unless it is a run down house next door to a crack house is misleading.

There are 264 homes for sale in Pine Hills and 240 of them are from 99K - 250,000 with the vast majority in the 100,000's range. I wouldn't want to live in Pine Hills, but the sad fact is that some of these homes are nice homes and if they were in a different part of the city would sell for much more. And no, I am NOT a realtor - just a simple search on the internet will give you the information.

Old 12-03-2006, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeneve View Post
Update next day: buyers cancelled on the contract. 12 hours ago, they wanted to close in 2 weeks or less (they were pre-approved) and now... they don't want the house at all. Didn't make sense to me until I realized -- they probably started making calls this morning to get insurance quotes.

Maybe I should change my sign-on to "stuck in Florida." Geesh.
Yeah probably. Man, I hope you sell soon and get get out. We were BLESSED that when we tried to get a house in 2004, the appraisal came back upside down against the seller and we ha dthe option to get out. If we had bought a house, we'd be screwed now trying to move out of state and stuck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida