U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 11:18 AM

11,377 posts, read 7,715,544 times

Advertisements

I can't imagine the water level rising 11 feet inland anywhere in Florida.

The only place that I know it happened was in New Orleans and that was because the levees broke and because they are below sea level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 11:44 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,221,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post

The only place that I know it happened was in New Orleans and that was because the levees broke and because they are below sea level.

Scott simply told us what State weather experts told him. We are all a bit better off than we would have been if the hurricane did not move a little east early this morning.

If we were told "Dont worry about a thing, its going to be a minor storm" and it shifted west and kept going west or northwest it would be the disaster that some wish had happened.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:22 PM

6,297 posts, read 6,935,056 times
They have been reporting over 9 foot surges in Jax Beach. There's video of the ocean waves rolling over where the sand dunes used to be, out onto the street, and flowing 2 to 3 blocks inland. And that video came about 2 hours before the largest impacts were expected (which is right now). Supposedly this is the largest storm surge in Jax since the late 1800s.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:31 PM

29,206 posts, read 15,351,525 times
Quote:

The storm surge from Hurricane Ike was between 4 and 5 METERS depending upon which side of the storm you were on.

Pre- and Post-Storm Photo Comparisons - Hurricane Ike - Coastal Change Hazards: Hurricanes and Extreme Storms

Quote:
Entire neighborhoods were destroyed by battering waves riding on top of a 5 meter storm surge (see pre- and post-storm photo comparisons for the Bolivar Peninsula, TX). Low, 1-3 meter sand dunes that were protecting those neighborhoods were flattened by erosion and sand from the beach and dunes was transported landward and ultimately deposited across the width of several blocks.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The storm surge from Hurricane Ike was between 4 and 5 METERS depending upon which side of the storm you were on.

Pre- and Post-Storm Photo Comparisons - Hurricane Ike - Coastal Change Hazards: Hurricanes and Extreme Storms
Okay, but that's just homes right on the water not even a block in.

The way they say it, it sounds like they expect the whole city to by under 11 feet of water.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Scott simply told us what State weather experts told him. We are all a bit better off than we would have been if the hurricane did not move a little east early this morning.

If we were told "Dont worry about a thing, its going to be a minor storm" and it shifted west and kept going west or northwest it would be the disaster that some wish had happened.
I am not saying he was wrong in his warning,it's his job to warn people and tell them to evacuate. He has to do that because if he doesn't and something does happen it's his job on the line. What I'm saying is he gave an ominous warning that made it sound like entire cities will be under 11 feet of water. He said the water level would be over the roof of most houses.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:06 PM

8,778 posts, read 5,624,256 times
Quote:

An eleven foot storm surge doesn't mean that the water inland will rise to 11 feet. It just means that the wave that hits the beach will be up to 11 feet higher. As the water continues inland those high points decrease.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:07 PM

1,750 posts, read 1,624,772 times
No direct hit. The storm's eye is parallel to the coast, maybe 30-40 miles out. If you had a direct hit, things would be different.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:25 PM

9,697 posts, read 6,985,945 times
Here is how the National Hurricane Center explains storm surges. I recall they reported an 18 foot storm surge where Hurricane Andrew came in in 1992 at the Deering Estate in southern Miami-Dade county.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/surge/

Old 10-07-2016, 01:38 PM

So if it only affects homes on the beach they should say that.

The news seems to by hyped for entertainment purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida