U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 06:44 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,623,361 times

Advertisements

We had flurries in December of 1989 in the Sarasota area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 07:20 PM

5,365 posts, read 1,919,824 times
1989, pretty big snow. Closed the bridges and was on the ground for a few days. This was in Jax and surrounding areas.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:39 PM

2,654 posts, read 1,072,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb18 View Post
I lived in Tallahassee over 25 years. I have seen snow flurries 3-5 times there. There was enough on the ground to make a few snowballs one year but not enough for a snowman. Does not stay on the ground for long. ❄️❄️☃️
I think what we got back in January in Jax probably wasn't considered a flurry, it was just a few small flakes. Couldn't even see it once it hit the ground. I've heard from those who lived here for a while, there's been multiple flurries though. Not sure if Tallahassee got that this year. I liked your use of snowflake and snowman emoji's though!

I still visit Jersey annually in the winter, so there's usually at least some snow in the ground in spots. I usually see it every year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I think it was the winter of 2010 or 2011 that there was snow in all 50 states at the same time. Yes, Hawaii gets snow.

It was one particularly brutal winter.
I remember that winter, but I thought at the time that Florida was the only state without snow? I thought it was every state (including Hawaii) but Florida? I was living either in New Jersey or California then. I moved to California in September of 2010, I forgot if that was January-March of 2010 or January-March of 2011. I think Hawaii gets snow at the tops of some really high mountains there. On the peaks at some points.

Seems like a lot of people here who resided in Florida at the time, remember the 1989 snow. I only have read about it and heard of it from some neighbors and people I know who have been here for years. Now that I think about it, I think it might have been 2010. My best friend had bought his house where he lives in Delray Beach the fall prior to that. Just in September or so of 09. I remember him saying that it froze more nights than usual that year, and a palm tree that was probably as old as the house (1963) that was in his backyard died that year. Because it was really cold that winter and froze a lot more than usual. It didn't snow that year, at least not in South Florida and I don't think it ever has. But he was saying that it was very cold and I remember it being in the news. I went to visit him around that time and my grandparents in Naples, and it was very cold for that time of year. Even by Florida's standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
First white Christmas in Florida? That was the year power was out in Orlando over Christmas because of so many having to heat their houses. We had brown outs here on the coast that lasted a couple hours at a time but were not out for days like over by Orlando.
That sounds pretty brutal!

Old 10-16-2016, 05:00 PM

468 posts, read 599,914 times
Reading the posts, it must have been in 1989 that I remember but I am not sure of the year. We used to visit my grandparents every Christmas and I have a picture of the "Welcome to Florida" sign with snow on it. All I remember is that it took us 23 hours to go less than 500 miles because of the snow and at one point, we were routed off 95 and over to Rt. 1.

Old 10-16-2016, 05:19 PM

11,466 posts, read 8,077,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunabell View Post
Reading the posts, it must have been in 1989 that I remember but I am not sure of the year. We used to visit my grandparents every Christmas and I have a picture of the "Welcome to Florida" sign with snow on it. All I remember is that it took us 23 hours to go less than 500 miles because of the snow and at one point, we were routed off 95 and over to Rt. 1.
89 was nothing compared to 1977. Never got any snow in 89 in my area.

Old 10-18-2016, 03:10 AM

5,998 posts, read 6,341,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
1989, pretty big snow. Closed the bridges and was on the ground for a few days. This was in Jax and surrounding areas.
I remember that storm. I was trying to take my boat from St. Augustine to Palm Beach and the grease on the bridges were either frozen or so cold it took like ten minutes to open.

And in some places the water was so warm that the steam hitting the cold air made a pea soup fog about 20 feet high. At deck level you couldn't see 25 feet, but you could look up and see blue sky and if you climbed the mast it was perfectly clear. We navigated by radar and someone up the mast with a radio. Really strange day.

And all the tropical plants died clear down to about Lauderdale.

Old 10-18-2016, 04:26 PM

181 posts, read 77,102 times
In has snowed in central Florida in my life time. But not enough to stick. Just a few flurries. I didn't like them.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:23 PM

975 posts, read 2,396,210 times
It snowed in the western panhandle just a couple of years ago. It even stuck overnight and into the next day.

Even More NorthEscambia.com Reader Submitted Snow Photos : NorthEscambia.com

Old 10-24-2016, 02:54 AM

740 posts, read 541,361 times
So it generally doesn't snow or flurry huh...interesting.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:33 AM
JAS

553 posts, read 1,716,200 times
I was a young kid in the early 1970's in Tallahassee - I don't remember it, but I have pictures with light snow on the ground. I do remember another dusting in the late 1970's as others have mentioned. I was also in Tally when it snowed/iced in December 1989 - it began during the evening and stayed on the ground through most of the following morning.

Maybe once a decade you will get flurries, but that's it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or