Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2016, 11:10 PM

3,972 posts, read 8,106,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm from east TN and I really don't get the hype. You also can't live on Bays Mountain as it's a municipal park

Most anywhere in FL will be closer to major cities, services, etc., than in east TN. I live in Kingsport and it's two hours to Knoxville, four and a half to Nashville, three and a half to Charlotte. Want to go to a sporting event other than a low level college game? It's an all day ordeal. Pro sports? Better be ready to drive 400 miles! Have a major medical issue not treatable locally? You're likely going hundreds of miles away to Duke or Vanderbilt.

FL is a huge, diverse state with many different areas and cultures to fit almost any taste. That doesn't mean it's perfect, but there are a lot of options, far more than exist in Tennessee.
Guess you don't live in that area. My SIL lives on Bay's Mountain and so do a whole lot of people. The park is just one area of the mountain. Love Laurel Run Park over by Church Hill, too.
Kingsport also has a lower level Minor league team. If you enjoy nature, there is a lot to see and do in Kingsport and we love all the history of the area.. People from that area usually like Nascar and go to races and our family actually races at some of the local tracks. It only takes about an hour to get to Dollywood and a that area. Roan Mountrain Park is also another close favorite. BTW Only takes us about an hour and a half to get to Knoxville but really not much of a big city, but cheaper flights than at Tri City.

But do not get me wrong, I love it here in Florida. As I said, IF I didn't live in Florida, 2nd choice would be East Tennessee. Living in Florida we are used to going 2 or 3 hours to do"stuff" too, so Tennessee is just different things to do. And it is too far from a beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 11:26 PM

3,972 posts, read 8,106,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Do you have a link to any recent studies to back up your dangerous places to drive statement.?

How about how FL is turning into a joke?

I know you lived in the Tampa area but your knowledge of the state of FL is nil.

It never ceases to amaze me how those who couldnt cut it in FL and moved away come back to the FL forums to tell us how FL is such a horrible place to live, especially the Tampa area. Seems people just cant put behind them. After all, before they moved here FL was it all. After failing miserably it becomes the worst place to be.
Hey Spring, I think the news today backs up the dangerous roads statement.....I-4 was deemed the most dangerous in the nation and I -95 was in the top 10.

Study ranks I-4 most dangerous Interstate in America - Story | WOFL

This Is The Most Deadly Interstate In The U.S. | Huffington Post

Old 10-29-2016, 09:23 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,015,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
Maybe it's because nobody can win an argument with you since you are are always right and everyone else doesn't know anything.
When I make a statement I can back it up with information from respectable sources. I dont pull "facts" out of thin air and hope they fly. I dont argue, I discuss factual information.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:31 AM

16,826 posts, read 14,992,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Hey Spring, I think the news today backs up the dangerous roads statement.....I-4 was deemed the most dangerous in the nation and I -95 was in the top 10.

Well, as much as I do love the Orlando MSA, I4 is definitely no joke, especially from 436 to the attractions. Absolutely horrible. Try exiting I4 at Maitland and trying to make it Westbound on 414. Ridiculous death-defying experience.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:51 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,015,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post

What makes I-4 dangerous is the multitude of people driving while texting, talking on the phone and Mario Andretti driving habits. It has been a nightmare road from WDW to Lake Mary for more than 30 years. The Fairbanks Curve is probably the biggest "hot spot" for accidents on all of I-4. I worked in the office complex that is on Fairbanks Ave just west of I-4. It was a rare day when we didnt hear crashes up on I-4. When I lived in Orlando I avoided I-4 at all costs and used Kirkman Road to get to I-Drive, Universal and Seaworld. I took 441 to 192 to get to Disney. When we would visit the west coast I took US 19 north to SR 50 (which ran right near my neighborhood). I used 17-92 and continued on 92 to get to the Daytona Beach area. I havent lived in Orlando since 2005 and can only imagine that the situation has worsened.

I-4 being the most dangerous interstate in the US earns that title due to the situation between US 27 and the bridge at the Volusia Countyline.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:23 PM

81 posts, read 118,761 times
I was born in Florida & it sure ain't what it used to be. I live in St Pete now & cant afford to get out. St Pete is a horrible place to live. It's real crowded, traffic sucks, people here don't got no manners,, & there's hardly any southern restaurants here. Have to go to Plant City for real food.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:03 PM

782 posts, read 753,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin230 View Post
I was born in Florida & it sure ain't what it used to be. I live in St Pete now & cant afford to get out. St Pete is a horrible place to live. It's real crowded, traffic sucks, people here don't got no manners,, & there's hardly any southern restaurants here. Have to go to Plant City for real food.
There is an old saying in SoFla, not sure if it is heard in Central FL but it use to go "“You Have to go North to Find the South” or an alternate "The Further North you go, the more South it Gets".

I use to go to Plant City for Strawberries.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:15 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,159,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin230 View Post
That's odd. We keep hearing on this site that St Pete is the place to be (though the middle section is not that nice, DT has a lot going, the northern section is nice and by Tyrone Sq Mall, West of that and around Central Ave (the West portion) seems a pretty decent area.

Old 11-12-2016, 08:42 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,388,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Well, as much as I do love the Orlando MSA, I4 is definitely no joke, especially from 436 to the attractions. Absolutely horrible. Try exiting I4 at Maitland and trying to make it Westbound on 414. Ridiculous death-defying experience.
The last time I was up there I stopped at a Walmart just off a highway outside if Sanford.

I made a wrong turn and since I didn't want to be as obnoxious as many drivers here in South Florida , I decided to just go down the street and turnaround on the next block.

Wrong answer! I ended up on some highway, couldn't exit in time because of heavy traffic. Ended up with toll after toll- cost me 8 bucks just to get to OBT from wherever that Walmart was LOL

Old 11-12-2016, 11:49 AM

782 posts, read 753,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
When I make a statement I can back it up with information from respectable sources. I dont pull "facts" out of thin air and hope they fly. I dont argue, I discuss factual information.
No, you talk like you lived in places you never lived, just visited or never visited or spread hearsay.

Living someplace vs. what you read or what the media spits out are two different things.

Often on here even people's views, including mine do not generally mean everyone has the same experience or will experience the same thing, because 1) they are living in a bubble 2) if $ is the issue where they live, they are making plenty of it or have it and/or have a great career to sustain it. 3) have a lot of help from family to make it possible 4) might be totally clueless in their job and not experienced, but are empowered by their superiors and so on.

My complaints on FL reside in SoFla since we lived there for a long time, I'm not in the Orlando or Tampa Forums making comments on that area because I have no personal experiences to pass judgement.

Most everyone I meet or work with out here thinks FL is cheap, it has that stigma, while there are areas of FL that offer a low cost of living, one cannot make a blanket statement to cover the entire state, since I moved here from SoFla, I immediately have to correct them and fill them in on what things cost in SoFla, because as stupid as it may seem they think otherwise till they hear the facts.

Also none of them would take their Six Figure Salary with them and move to West Palm Beach and buy a McMansion in Wellington or Palm Beach Gardens, nor would they be able to find a job there anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida