Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2016, 10:53 AM

8,882 posts, read 20,254,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Absolutely not for everyone. I think many people under estimate the summer weather.

Best wishes for the future in CO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
You love boating/powerboating but you're moving to landlocked CO? That's odd..

Though many opinions are totally subjective, truth of the matter is FL 'rocks' when it comes to boating or such lifestyle.

I often watch Sport Fishing television, FL Sports Fishing tv, How to Do Florida (this guy lives in Jax I think, your neck of woods) and other similar shows that feature fishing/boating. If you want similar boating culture move to HI.. but CO?
We boated/fished in two very nice lakes there.......Chatfield and Cherry Creek. And, all lakes are freshwater and deep enough. Just aren't into boating on the ocean or intracoastal and most Florida inland lakes are fairly shallow. Been on the intracoastal once, but prefer the St Johns River in Jacksonville area.
Boating is popular here, but it is in Colorado as well. You should see the line (for blocks) of boats going to the ramps on Fathers Day. Pretty darn amazing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Interesting. We are contemplating a move from the southwest (Arizona, which is a beautiful state!) potentially to Miami/Fort Lauderdale. Disclaimer; we lived briefly in Daytona Beach in 2001, and, while we were not crazy about the city, we enjoyed other things Florida offered. It also didn't hurt being less than 10 minutes from the ocean!

I have encountered more people from Florida who now live out here and seem to love it. Nearly all say they would never move back. We miss being closer than six hours to the ocean (California) and the greenery, although Arizona offers some green areas and seasons (Flagstaff, Payson). For me, it comes down to also missing being on the east coast where we will be closer to family and friends.

However, we do have some reservations about moving to Florida. Some are economic (as the southeast is known for some of the lowest pay in the nation), the other concerns are the weather (inevitable hurricanes, humidity and climate change). Florida, like Arizona, is a lightening rod for opinions. Back to your response, Colorado is a beautiful state and people are moving there in droves. Good luck.
Yes, people are moving to Denver metro in droves, but not to the smaller towns/cities north of Denver (Longmont & Loveland areas).

Old 11-15-2016, 11:11 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,015,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
We sure did! Plus, missing the mountains and seeing big Bull Elk. Even though we both spent many years in So. California before we met and went to the beach numerous times, we have found out that we are more into going to the mountains than to a beach.
There is a whole lot more in FL than the beach. Mountains? No mountains, none expected soon.

Old 11-15-2016, 11:19 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,307,674 times
Quote:
We boated/fished in two very nice lakes there.......Chatfield and Cherry Creek. And, all lakes are freshwater and deep enough. Just aren't into boating on the ocean or intracoastal and most Florida inland lakes are fairly shallow. Been on the intracoastal once, but prefer the St Johns River in Jacksonville area.
Boating is popular here, but it is in Colorado as well. You should see the line (for blocks) of boats going to the ramps on Fathers Day. Pretty darn amazing!
As someone who loves to boat that actually sounds miserable to me, the wait time to get into lakes and the hassle of putting your boat in and out of the water off a trailer is a real hassle and definitely takes alot of time away from boating. I dont like boating in a lake for that very reason, unless I can find a place to dock my boat. The trick to boating in florida is to buy the right boat to prevent that type of corrosion

Old 11-15-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
As someone who loves to boat that actually sounds miserable to me, the wait time to get into lakes and the hassle of putting your boat in and out of the water off a trailer is a real hassle and definitely takes alot of time away from boating. I dont like boating in a lake for that very reason, unless I can find a place to dock my boat. The trick to boating in florida is to buy the right boat to prevent that type of corrosion
Well, that long line is just on a holiday like Fathers Day and the 4th of July. When we lived there, we were at the ramp between 8 & 9 AM. Had to get up early, but was worth it to avoid the crowd at noon launching. We have our in Dry Storage across from Goodby's Creek Ramp. We love it, but there is no Dry Storage in Colorado, but that's ok with us. Our boat is a 1992. Also, Colorado doesn't have all the navigation stuff to learn/contend with, like here.
We have just learned that we liked boating better there than here. That's all.

Old 11-15-2016, 12:14 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,159,330 times
Quote:
Why aren't you into boating on the ocean? Lakes are ok but can't match the fishing opportunities in the ocean or exploring it in general(day and night in my opinion). The only lake I'd be interested in out West would be Lake Meade.

Old 11-15-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Why aren't you into boating on the ocean? Lakes are ok but can't match the fishing opportunities in the ocean or exploring it in general(day and night in my opinion). The only lake I'd be interested in out West would be Lake Meade.
Was more into fishing for Rainbow's than the big stuff here. In fact, just sold three saltwater rigs we bought in when we got here in '09 and never used. Still have all of our freshwater tackle and rods/reels from Colorado. Plus, still have our winter parkas from Colorado! Somehow, guess we'd knew we'd go back.
And, BTW, we are in our later 60's, so only go on the water for a few hours anymore. We haven't, and probably never will, be out with our boat when it's dark. Just the way we are.

Old 11-15-2016, 12:56 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,825,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
I agree. We have a boat here in Wisconsin and my biggest gripe is putting the boat in the water and then taking it out in the lakes around here. (On top of waiting in line to get in and out) We have taken the boat to Lake Michigan as well but you still have the hassle of getting it in and out along with the drive there and back (45 to 60 minutes one way depending on traffic). It's just not worth it to me anymore. Hoping that when we move to Florida and get a boat that we have it docked somewhere or a boat lift at our house. Trailing a boat is just such a hassle and takes the fun out of it for me.

Old 11-15-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
I agree. We have a boat here in Wisconsin and my biggest gripe is putting the boat in the water and then taking it out in the lakes around here. (On top of waiting in line to get in and out) We have taken the boat to Lake Michigan as well but you still have the hassle of getting it in and out along with the drive there and back (45 to 60 minutes one way depending on traffic). It's just not worth it to me anymore. Hoping that when we move to Florida and get a boat that we have it docked somewhere or a boat lift at our house. Trailing a boat is just such a hassle and takes the fun out of it for me.
Until now, we've trailered a boat and kept it at a RV/Boat Storage near us. Until my wife got the job she has now, we couldn't afford Dry Storage. We are now paying double the cost of regular outside storage. Dry storage is very convent, but when that's not available, have to go back to launching/retrieving it.

Now, back to the OP's question.

Old 11-15-2016, 01:18 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,825,253 times
Quote:

Now, back to the OP's question.
Yes, opppps......so easy to get off subject here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida