U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 12:01 PM

4,817 posts, read 10,513,645 times

Advertisements

What are some differences?

I have been looking for a job in CA out of college and I can't find anything that's not minimum wage. I have $4000 saved up and no debt. I want to be in a state that's near the coast and has a bettter economy. CA has jobs but the Rent where the jobs are at are too high.

I'm wondering also is the out of college job situation the same everywhere or more so my state?

I will be using Robert half and apple one to search for a job and also companies directly.

What are the best cities to look at? My moms cousin lives in Kissimmee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 12:05 PM

6,235 posts, read 5,361,868 times
What is your degree in? Makes a great difference between where to go.

Old 10-20-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
What is your degree in? Makes a great difference between where to go.
Sociology with a minor in criminal justice.

With my degree though I originally wanted to drug and alcohol counseling or Human Resources. Now I want to do technical writing or IT. I'm volunteering in IT and social media management right now.

Old 10-21-2016, 06:20 AM

3,926 posts, read 4,377,491 times
Honestly, much of Florida is service-level jobs. Now I know Houston area is hurting some because of the oil slump, but you might look there.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:53 AM

12,135 posts, read 12,643,103 times
Cities with the Highest Percentage of Population with Service Jobs in Florida | Zip Atlas

Old 10-21-2016, 07:15 PM

975 posts, read 2,394,992 times
Meh, Florida is not great for ppl fresh out of college. I stayed for a couple years after graduation, but soon realized opportunities were sparse for someone just starting out, and with a growing family as well. Between lack of opportunity and high cost of living (high by my standards, certainly not high compared to CA), I got the heck out of dodge and moved to a neighboring state (Alabama) which has all the positives of FL with virtually none of the negatives.

That said, FL is a very diverse state and each of its metro areas are very different from each other in terms of culture and industry. Though of course the service/hospitality industry is huge throughout the state, but those jobs don't tend to pay well.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:15 PM

16,019 posts, read 9,176,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post

I have been looking for a job in CA out of college and I can't find anything that's not minimum wage. I have $4000 saved up and no debt. I want to be in a state that's near the coast and has a bettter economy. CA has jobs but the Rent where the jobs are at are too high.

I'm wondering also is the out of college job situation the same everywhere or more so my state?

I will be using Robert half and apple one to search for a job and also companies directly.

COL is better in FL. Job markets about the same, with higher housing expenses and taxes in CA.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:15 PM

16,549 posts, read 16,156,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post

California varies so much... it's like its own country, so to give you a useful answer, you need to be more specific... are you talking about the San Francisco Bay Area or Los Angeles Orange County Area or San Diego Area or somewhere completely different?

I've lived in both states.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:24 PM

16,549 posts, read 16,156,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
COL is better in FL. Job markets about the same, with higher housing expenses and taxes in CA.
That's not true... the cost of living in FL is cheaper when you factor in owning a car or housing, but the job market is much stronger in certain parts of California. For example, in San Francisco, it's relatively easy for a recent college grad with a decent major to get a salary job starting at $50-55k with benefits and a ton of worker protection laws on their side. Granted the cost of living is much higher, so you'll need to rent a room from a shared apartment, but other than housing and auto costs, expenses are about the same, maybe even less in San Francisco because you pretty much never need to turn on your heater (virtually no place has a/c), restaurants/groceries are the same price if not a bit cheaper than Florida, you can ditch your car and get around solely on public transportation. For example, we moved from San Francisco to Orlando. We love living in Orlando so far because we wanted warmer weather and to be able to live in a nice house with a pool and yard and not have to deal with hordes of homeless people or see trash everywhere. However, she got multiple job offers in the $50-55k range back in SF (finance), while in Florida she hasn't been able to find a professional job paying over $30k. They all want 3-5 years of related work experience here, while there are a lot of entry level professional jobs in San Francisco for recent graduates like I said starting around $50-55k.

With that being said, we enjoy our life a lot more in Florida. We love the lifestyle more, so it depends on your priorities. My income is good enough that she can continue applying for jobs without being stressed about money. If your main priority is to advance career wise and make as much money as possible and you don't mind having a bunch of room mates, then definitely somewhere like San Francisco is a much better option than any city in Florida. However, if you want a more laid back lifestyle with nicer housing and don't mind lower wages, then somewhere like Orlando is better.

Old 10-22-2016, 12:02 AM

Which is a better starter city in FL? Tampa or Orlando?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or