U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 10:29 PM

1,869 posts, read 941,223 times

Advertisements

Lost cause. <sigh>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2016, 10:39 PM

210 posts, read 243,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
Lost cause. <sigh>
Okay I get it, I don't exactly fit the older demographic of this site and its users but there has to be some sort of way!

Old 10-23-2016, 08:37 AM

732 posts, read 3,830,194 times
Check out Silver star village. It's gated and right on a bus line. It's in a not so great part of town but your options are limited.

http://www.bayshorehomesales.com/communities/SilverStar

Old 10-23-2016, 08:47 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,114,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontworryboutit View Post
So where is the region with the most affordable houses?
I'd just be guessing but I'd think central Florida....there are several smaller towns (personally I'd be happy with) like Lake Wales, Sebring, Wachula.....something about those small FL towns are comfortable and safe, imo and away from the congestion that we're seeing now in larger areas like the Gulf Coast (TB, Sarasota/Bradenton for instance). Most would find it dull, but imo if you've done a lot and are ready to settle and relax those small towns would be fine......

Old 10-23-2016, 12:05 PM

2,233 posts, read 1,503,318 times
My hometown is filled with these OP. Every cheap place to live has 55 and older placed on it. I question the legality of it. So they don't want young people living there? Used to be legal to ban black people from neighborhoods too. With affordable housing across Florida becoming non-existent I suspect this is going to be called into question more. I bet if it reached a high court it would be ruled that you can't discriminate against homebuyers based on their age, in this case, young people.

Old 10-23-2016, 12:52 PM

210 posts, read 243,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
My hometown is filled with these OP. Every cheap place to live has 55 and older placed on it. I question the legality of it. So they don't want young people living there? Used to be legal to ban black people from neighborhoods too. With affordable housing across Florida becoming non-existent I suspect this is going to be called into question more. I bet if it reached a high court it would be ruled that you can't discriminate against homebuyers based on their age, in this case, young people.
So are you telling me that I have a possible court case or rather a civil action case?

Old 10-23-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontworryboutit View Post
So are you telling me that I have a possible court case or rather a civil action case?
Just realized you are the OP. I suspect so, yes. It would probably take just one person to take these communities to court and then they can be dismantled. A neighborhood can't discriminate based on age.

Old 10-23-2016, 01:36 PM

1,338 posts, read 1,383,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Just realized you are the OP. I suspect so, yes. It would probably take just one person to take these communities to court and then they can be dismantled. A neighborhood can't discriminate based on age.
This isn't the first time someone thought of about the legality of senior communities and they mostly survive legal challenges. Co-ops and covenants on property are generally legal.

About the only lawsuit a senior community lost was Sun City refusing to annex an adjoining area. The rational for not annexing was, the adjoining area had kids which meant Sun City would be responsible for contributing to a school system which it currently did not do. I believe the federal government sided with the folks that's worked in Sun City and wanted to be annexed and the annexation proceeded.

Old 10-23-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
This isn't the first time someone thought of about the legality of senior communities and they mostly survive legal challenges. Co-ops and covenants on property are generally legal.

About the only lawsuit a senior community lost was Sun City refusing to annex an adjoining area. The rational for not annexing was, the adjoining area had kids which meant Sun City would be responsible for contributing to a school system which it currently did not do. I believe the federal government sided with the folks that's worked in Sun City and wanted to be annexed and the annexation proceeded.
I don't believe it. I have never heard of a senior community being taken to court because they discriminate against young people.

Old 10-23-2016, 01:50 PM

6,071 posts, read 2,796,013 times
So long as one of the main resident owners is 55 or over, this should not be an issue. My aunt had her home in a 55+ community as she needed a 24 hr care taker.

Yes OP, you can find first time home owner assistance. Have a stable income consistent with the ratio of affordability. HUD has programs ..

I'm looking at land in the ga region...to build a self sustaining home. The govt is currently processing the grant to aide on the acquisition. Apparently they actually want ppl to conserve thru alternative energy sources . Rural property can be had...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida