U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 07:32 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,136,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontworryboutit View Post
My mother and I have dreamed about moving to Florida for years now and we've been trying to take that plunge but unfortunately we could never find affordable housing anywhere reasonable. We want to buy a house as we've been told time and time again that its cheap down there but when I head onto Zillow all I can find for that price are typically lots but when I filter out those I get these seemingly perfect homes but than find out that they're part of 55+ communities and literally no regular houses for that price. We can only afford to put a couple grand as a down payment so our home would have to be between 30k to 40k but we're having trouble finding those in reasonable areas. My mom and I are from Boston and neither of us drive and while living off of public transit was a big part of how we work, I'm trying to find us a decent area for trains or buses. I've heard that Orlando has a decent railway system.
How old is your MOM? Some 55+ allow family adults under 55 as long as one person satisfies the age requirement. The Sun City Center Kings Point has some quaint duplex type units and you could take advantage of the in community shuttle as well as the available transit available. It is about 20 miles south of down Tampa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 07:34 AM

402 Dorchester Pl APT B46, Sun City Center, FL 33573 | MLS #T2817167 | Zillow

I bet one could get this for $50k.

Old 10-29-2016, 05:36 PM

210 posts, read 243,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
How old is your MOM? Some 55+ allow family adults under 55 as long as one person satisfies the age requirement. The Sun City Center Kings Point has some quaint duplex type units and you could take advantage of the in community shuttle as well as the available transit available. It is about 20 miles south of down Tampa.
That would be awesome but unfortunately we don't even have the money to put a 20 percent down as well as my mother's job involving her to live within communities with children.

Old 10-29-2016, 06:03 PM

Quote:
That would be awesome but unfortunately we don't even have the money to put a 20 percent down as well as my mother's job involving her to live within communities with children.
Okay, but to answer your initial thread topic "What's up with all the cheap houses for sale being 55+?????" ......most of the 55+ that I'm familiar with have monthly HOA fees that add to the cheap mortgages people have.

Old 10-30-2016, 04:40 AM

210 posts, read 243,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Okay, but to answer your initial thread topic "What's up with all the cheap houses for sale being 55+?????" ......most of the 55+ that I'm familiar with have monthly HOA fees that add to the cheap mortgages people have.
Yeah I get it, the deals are simply too good to be true.

Old 10-31-2016, 01:28 AM

2,056 posts, read 2,455,152 times
The member that said that over 55 communities discriminate got it backwards. This society worships youth and belittles the old, which is not how it is in most of the world. Other more enlightened societies understand that our elders have lots of wisdom to share, and honor their contributions to society. When we become old in America we are put down marginalized. Ever try getting a job when you're over 50? We are not a valued part of this society in almost any way, and this broken society shows the effects of dishonoring those that came before us that still have invaluable, hard won experience, plenty of good ideas, and lots of productivity left to contribute.

The 55+ communities give us places that we can afford to live in because many of us are on fixed incomes, and/or in poor physical condition. Our lives are spent paying out huge medical bills, either directly to doctors or through their friends, the health insurance companies. Nothing gets easier when you get older, life becomes more difficult, so we deserve a small break. We have raised our kids, and would prefer not to be around screaming, unruly 2 year olds anymore. 55+ communities are one of the few things in this society that help older people to keep a roof over their heads, especially when a spouse dies and their income is halved.

But that's the payoff about getting older. Sooner or later, unless they die early, everyone else gets old too, and then they will be singing a different tune indeed on this subject.

Last edited by smarino; 10-31-2016 at 01:38 AM..

Old 10-31-2016, 06:55 AM

just as aside, if you can only afford a "couple of grand" as a down payment, you really need to have more money available as home ownership ALWAYS brings unexpected expenses....in FL that may mean you need a new Air Conditioner, your roof leaks, or your plumbing needs repair......OP, you sound like someone who needs to rent and not buy.....or possible look into mobile homes which seem everywhere in FL.

Old 11-02-2016, 06:45 PM

2,952 posts, read 1,624,655 times
https://www.55places.com/blog/yes-ag...legal#comments

For all the young people whining about 55+ communities.

Inform yourself for a change, instead of blowing off about something you know nothing about.

In many states, 55+ communities are some of these most expensive areas to live. Cause of the amenities, views, golf courses etc.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:45 AM

11,372 posts, read 7,710,076 times
Quote:
My mother and I have dreamed about moving to Florida for years now and we've been trying to take that plunge but unfortunately we could never find affordable housing anywhere reasonable. We want to buy a house as we've been told time and time again that its cheap down there but when I head onto Zillow all I can find for that price are typically lots but when I filter out those I get these seemingly perfect homes but than find out that they're part of 55+ communities and literally no regular houses for that price. We can only afford to put a couple grand as a down payment so our home would have to be between 30k to 40k but we're having trouble finding those in reasonable areas. My mom and I are from Boston and neither of us drive and while living off of public transit was a big part of how we work, I'm trying to find us a decent area for trains or buses. I've heard that Orlando has a decent railway system.
To find a house in livable condition that would pass the appraisal and be able to get a mortgage you would need to look in north Florida and the panhandle. Some places have small houses, but you have to check the neighborhood.. You might be able to get an FHA loan and put a little bit down but you will still have to pay about $7000 in closing costs even for a cheap home. And you better learn to love a car and driving because Florida has very little mass transit. Train lines are locking and all you can hope for it to find a home near a bus stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida