Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 08:56 AM

8 posts, read 11,982 times

Advertisements

Hi. We are DEFINITELY moving to Florida, but we are not familiar with the area. We are thinking of moving somewhere around and between Tampa and Lakeland.

We are looking for to purchase a 3 bdrm HOME or MOBILE home in a ------------>> SAFE neighborhood.

It is just 2 adults, so schools, etc. are not a factor. We love the beach, seafood, snorkeling and looking for a GOOD church and to have a hospital, dr. offices, etc within 30 minutes or so.

Any suggestions, etc. would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 11:28 AM

201 posts, read 237,791 times
If beach is important choose nearer Tampa than Lakeland. A growing area is the south section of Hillsborough County ... south of Tampa, popularly known as the South Shore area.
Off the coast nearby you can snorkel but you will not see much. You have to go to the Keys for that.
As always better to rent first before committing to buy.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:31 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
Not much gulf beach north of St. Pete, until the pan handle.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:43 AM

8 posts, read 11,982 times
Thank you Ahha...

Yes. I hear its booming, in the "New Tampa"... Hubby needs to find work right away.

HOME: We plan to rent for a while (HATE losing alllllllllllll that money)... and buy when we find JUST WHAT WE WANT! I have seen a LOT of homes for sale. There are many nice ones, and a fair amt. in our price range. IDEAL - would be a rent w/option to buy. LOL of course...

BEACHES - looks like a lot of beaches on those little islands, keys, whatever lol... outside of Clearwater, off the main Florida map. Hope to find good snorkeling there????

where are YOU at? Do you happen to know if Pit bulls are allowed in that area? I know that they are NOT in Miami/Dade when we lived out in Ft. laud.

Thanks soooooooooo much for your help

Old 10-31-2016, 10:09 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
might post your question in the Tampa Bay forum to get better recommendations

Old 10-31-2016, 01:34 PM

201 posts, read 237,791 times
I'm in the Apollo Beach area. Don't let the name fool you .... there's no beach that you would swim in, it's the Tampa Bay water which is only good for fishing. What is your budget for a home? When you visit the area take a drive along Big Bend Rd. from hwy 41 all the way eastwards past hwy 301 to Balm Riverview Rd. There are several communities along Big Bend plus an almost new (3 years) Florida Hospital South.
Has hubby found work yet? Where he works will greatly influence where you live as commuter traffic could be horrible.

Old 11-01-2016, 11:24 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
If the beach is at all important the area between Tampa and Lakeland is about as far you can get from a beach in Florida, so not sure how much sense that's making in your instance. I think the Apollo Beach-Ruskin area could be a better bet and still within closer proximity to jobs...and the beaches.

Old 11-01-2016, 02:13 PM

261 posts, read 260,909 times
I just moved out of the tampa bay area after living there 15 years since about 2000. Lived both by the beach in Pinellas and hillsborough as well living East of Tampa in the Brandon Riverview area. The rents and insurance skyrocketed since I moved here as did the traffic, urban sprawl and amount of homeless people. I suggest you really research this. This area is very congested and at times dangerous. There is Severe Accidents all the time involving motorcycles and pedestrians, It looks all nice on pictures, palm trees near the beach etc. But trust me its full of problems. I will never ever live in Central Florida again and the local infrastructure simply cannot take any more development or people on.

Last edited by paradiselost; 11-01-2016 at 02:24 PM..

Old 11-01-2016, 02:57 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,176,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsoler View Post
Hi. We are DEFINITELY moving to Florida, but we are not familiar with the area. We are thinking of moving somewhere around and between Tampa and Lakeland.

We are looking for to purchase a 3 bdrm HOME or MOBILE home in a ------------>> SAFE neighborhood.

It is just 2 adults, so schools, etc. are not a factor. We love the beach, seafood, snorkeling and looking for a GOOD church and to have a hospital, dr. offices, etc within 30 minutes or so.

Any suggestions, etc. would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thank you!!
Don't listen to trolls and overly negative nellies. First off, there's no good snorkeling off the beach by Tampa/Pinellas cty. The reefs or anything worth seeing are way out in the Gulf (need a boat); visibility is usually low due to the fine sand which by the way is artificial/mixed with dredged sand. However, Anna Maria Isl/Manatee cty have a couple spots(Holmes Beach and Long Boat Key). But you'll be hard pressed to find any good vis for snorkeling(maybe in the winter or early spring, but the water gets cold). Snorkeling is better in South FL or the Keys, though scuba is way more rewarding..

Might want to check out Seminole/West Largo/Belleair Bluffs(some nice areas the closer you get to the beach with many seafood restaurants on Gulf Blvd.) Clearwater Beach is 15 mins or so by car. Churches, hospitals and Dr offices nearby..this area has this covered because it's mostly retirees/older crowd.

TB traffic is heavy at times but there's ways/shortcuts to get around. I-275 going through Tampa is brand new and the area is coming along. It's clean, free of graffiti with a lot of foliage/trees and water views. So not at all terrible as some make it sound.

Old 11-01-2016, 03:11 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,342,798 times
"We are DEFINITELY moving to Florida, but we are not familiar with the area."

Oh oh. Call me crazy, but wouldn't you want to be familiar w/ an area BEFORE moving there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida