U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 01:19 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,270,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
Have not had a good bagel here yet, not holding out much hope either. The bread on average is not too good period. It's all about the water is no joke.
Oh here we go...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 06:41 AM

3,723 posts, read 2,024,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
It's gorgeous in southwest Florida today. I'm having saki on the beach with 80 degrees and a feel amazing breeze. Life is good.
How very sophisticated.
Makes a change from the lobster yahoos guzzling Bud Lite.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
How very sophisticated.
Makes a change from the lobster yahoos guzzling Bud Lite.
All the yahoos form the Midwest?

Old 10-30-2016, 07:21 AM

3,723 posts, read 2,024,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
All the yahoos form the Midwest?
All over I guess.Even Florida has yahoos.

Old 10-30-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
All over I guess.Even Florida has yahoos.
Full of them

Old 10-30-2016, 09:11 AM

6,235 posts, read 5,909,642 times
Quote:
Full of them
Yes, the "snow birds" are starting their annual migration.

Old 10-30-2016, 09:55 AM

786 posts, read 496,410 times
Quote:
Oh here we go...
Huh? Where are we going?

Old 10-30-2016, 10:08 AM

786 posts, read 496,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post

The water argument is bologna (sliced thin).
Not what I heard, dough quality is effected by the pH and hardness of the water and a good baker knows how to adjust the yeast and dough salt to correct, doesn't mean people here are good bakers. I'm not talking about NYC water and Brooklyn Water Bagel hype.

Old 10-30-2016, 11:56 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,262,027 times
Quote:
Not what I heard, dough quality is effected by the pH and hardness of the water and a good baker knows how to adjust the yeast and dough salt to correct, doesn't mean people here are good bakers. I'm not talking about NYC water and Brooklyn Water Bagel hype.
There are many arguments how water pH affects fermentation and yes, knowing how to adjust for differences affect the final product exponentially. A good baker knows how to make adjustments so the product meets the criteria for acceptability. The places that have the pizza that I enjoy do not have owners from Florida. Italy, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut seem to be the areas from which they came.

Here is a very informative article regarding water and pizza: The Food Lab: Is Good Pizza Really All About the Water? | Serious Eats

As far as the hype goes, NYC comes from mountainous areas. It travels through a long aqueduct system before winding up in reservoirs and then goes down long water tunnels to the city and eventually to your tap. All along the way the water picks up rust, soil, fish waste, human waste, (from the reservoirs), lead and copper. You will never hear me tout the quality if NYC water. NYC treats the water with food grade phosphoric acid, sodium hydroxide, chlorine and flouride.

I much rather have water that was pumped out of the aquifer and sent directly to my tap sans a short time at the water distribution plant where a little chlorine is added to kill germs picked up along the way.

The Brooklyn Water Bagel Co. is a joke. They have the correct creation process, even though they use a machine to form the bagels. However, I believe the water story is simply a marketing ploy. Their water is pure water with all the contaminates but that is about it.

Old 10-30-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Huh? Where are we going?

Somewhere with good bagels?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or