Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 03:39 PM

782 posts, read 759,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
Somewhere with good bagels?
Donuts are more popular here along with Craft Beer, I'm no longer in FL BTW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 04:22 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
I love donuts n craft beer.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:22 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,420,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
You think so? I grew up in America's melting pot. Growing up there were kids whose families were from so many different places besides the U.S. As adults we all worked with people from all over the globe. Our storekeepers were usually of foreign decent. We lived in the same buildings/neighborhoods, rode the same subway and buses, shopped in the same stores. A good point was we all got exposed to different cuisines and traditions. Ive celebrated , Junkonoo, Carnival, Epihany, Pesach, Hanukkah and many others. Being invited to a friends home for eating, partying, story telling and learning about the world. Experiences I will never forget.

We thought "West Side Story" to be a ridiculous separation of people because of their nationality.

I learned a variety of cuss words to!

White bread people are so gimp
I grew up in NJ just outside of NYC.

The South Florida of today is nothing like my old neighborhood of Italians, Latins, Central and Eastern Europeans and blacks and whites hanging out together because our area didn't have "ghettos" for minorities. We were all pretty much the same economically.A town or two over, yes, Passaic and Paterson etc were different planets.

South Florida is a different story completely. It's largely, to me, because of economics.
We are not the happy melting pot at all.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 10-30-2016 at 07:30 PM..

Old 10-30-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Oh here we go...
Ha! If you include the 1 Dunkin Donuts there are about 6 bagel places within a 15 minute walk from my office.

2 of them are a block apart.

It's never enough, I guess.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Ha! If you include the 1 Dunkin Donuts there are about 6 bagel places within a 15 minute walk from my office.

2 of them are a block apart.

It's never enough, I guess.
Or never good enough I guess.

Old 10-30-2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
I grew up in NJ just outside of NYC.

The South Florida of today is nothing like my old neighborhood of Italians, Latins, Central and Eastern Europeans and blacks and whites hanging out together because our area didn't have "ghettos" for minorities. We were all pretty much the same economically.A town or two over, yes, Passaic and Paterson etc were different planets.

South Florida is a different story completely. It's largely, to me, because of economics.
We are not the happy melting pot at all.
Yeah I agree. Kind of like Orlando. Diversity is waaaay overrated when ppl don't communicate or appreciate that they're here in America.

Old 10-30-2016, 09:24 PM

515 posts, read 624,324 times
Get out of Coral Springs first. Find a place in Boca and in the meantime go to the parks in Parkland with your child. Coral Springs is awful for making friends.

Old 10-30-2016, 09:27 PM

22 posts, read 18,642 times
Quote:
Yeah I agree. Kind of like Orlando. Diversity is waaaay overrated when ppl don't communicate or appreciate that they're here in America.
My sentiments exactly. My initial post isn't the gospel, but it's more accurate than some of these die hard South Floridians care to acknowledge in regards to diversity.

Old 10-30-2016, 09:34 PM

There is always a group complaint that another group is taking away their jobs. The Haitians, Latin and Central Americans and others don't really get along with each other, and many whites feel threatened by anyone that's not white, so it makes for a lot of angst.

There seems to be a lot of hostility between the people from Haiti and the African-American community.

I'm not saying anyone is necessarily wrong for feeling any of these things.

It's that these feelings add to the rage. And there's a lot of rage.

The economic disparity here adds to the problem.People tend to default to the lowest common denominator.

I know an increasing number of people with decent middle class jobs (hard to come by here really) who want "out" of South Florida because , oddly enough, there are "too many rich people".

What does that mean? It's like having something you can't have rubbed in your face all the time.

So, the wealthier people ( forget their money for a second) are more educated and often more interesting. But you're a middle middle class person. Not that many of us here.

The "rich people" don't want to hang around with you, so, do you hang out with the lesser educated people or those who have recently come here from a third world country?

I'm not saying that people if this opinion are 100% correct on all points, but it is a concern.

Lots of construction going on if you can afford a 650K house, or need " affordable housing".

For anyone else looking for a single family home in a safe suburb-lotsa luck.

I know it exists- just not in the numbers it does in other places.

Old 10-30-2016, 09:39 PM

782 posts, read 759,678 times
Quote:
I love donuts n craft beer.
Also forgot to add Fish Tacos.

Craft Beer is big here, so many breweries I'm still trying them all out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida