U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 11:03 AM

786 posts, read 491,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MirandaHobbs View Post

We have visited California ( San Diego, and Los Angeles) and we both loved it..especially San Diego. I think my husband's biggest fear was the cost of living. Now that we're here in Fl, I think my husband is realizing that you get what you pay for. Southern California is known for being expensive but there was just a lot more to do and has more to offer as far as employment/salary, entertainment, and vibe/culture.
Having just moved from the West Palm Beach Area to the San Diego Area, I can tell you that my expenses dropped substantially, so the whole "cost of living" thing is purely subjective on what you can earn in relation to there.

-Utilities

Unlike FL, my power bill is cut in half to a third thanks in part to the A/C not running all the time.

-Car Insurance

Was paying over $300/month with Geico for 2 cars, safe drivers, excellent credit, no accidents. Every 6 months the cost increased, when I called Geico and asked why, they said SoFla has a lot of uninsured drivers and fraud, did not surprise me, have you had your credit/debit card skimmed yet? I had mine skimmed around 7 times with fraudulent charges in excess of $3,000.00 on one.

Since moving here the bill is now $80 a month for both cars and the same coverage, so that's a substantial savings.

-Medical Insurance

Not Obamacare, but company provided insurance, was a 50% reduction in monthly co-pays and with my old employer in SoFla every year the cost increased substantially. We were flat out told by the Plan Administrator, that due to the fraud and senior age population, that the cost of health insurance was much higher than say other areas of the country.

-Home Owner Costs (if you want to buy a house)

SoFla, very high property taxes, insurance costs (think Hurricanes) and while HOA fees exist all over, it's very prevalent in SoFla and/or if you desire that type of living.

Here, house prices are high but it's dependent on where and how close to the coast you are, further inland places are more affordable.

-Car ownership

Registration fees are higher here than FL, it's very complicated and based on the age/value of the car. I saw an increase over Palm Beach County, but it was less than what I paid in Car Insurance per month there. Also this cost decreases every year.

Gas prices are higher here, but that's due to CA clean air mandates.

Why gas prices in California are so high - Feb. 9, 2016

-Sales Tax

Varies area to area, it is higher here than in SoFla but Palm Beach County is proposing a 1% increase to 7% on the ballot for voters to decide, so that could change. Seems not too many people worry about it here.

-Food prices

I don't see much difference in cost, but it just depends where you shop. There is no Publix type of monopoly here, since I'm from PA too originally the amount of competition here reminds me of how things were in PA, Acme, Weis, Wegmans, Giant and etc., I shop around and know where to go, some stores are overpriced, I prefer Ralphs and Gelsons to Vons, but you can still shop at Wal-Mart and Target here and prices are the same as they were in FL.

For me personally, the career opportunities here were better so I made the move, this may not be the same for others as it wasn't for me in FL. We were content with the positives in SoFla even with the negatives but the job is what funds the machine and it was not working anymore. At that point, we made a decision to not let the material things dictate our decision to leave.

All I can say is do your homework, do not move here without a good job lined up and also with research telling you there is other opportunity to fall back on, if it does not work out.

Last edited by aewan68; 10-23-2016 at 12:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2016, 11:09 AM

563 posts, read 656,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
It is simply amazing that your very first post is a list of dissatisfaction which is virtually a boilerplate text of the first post of so many other first time posters. I often wonder where posters like yourself were when the relocation idea first struck.

Your post describes someone that packed up and relocated themselves with no idea as to what the current situation in the new area was.

You need to leave Florida immediately to avoid anymore grief.
I agree we don't need anymore negative people in our great state trying to bring us down

Old 10-23-2016, 11:10 AM

9,691 posts, read 6,981,039 times
Quote:
Just moved Coral Springs with my family from Philadelphia. The Mr. got his 1st teaching job and I'm currently looking for a day shift RN position. I'm trying to give South Florida a chance but I don't see myself EVER liking it here. I was happy to see the amount of diversity here but that soon faded once I realized no one really socializes outside of their own close knit circles. I've been home with our 2 year old and I have only managed to strike up a conversation with another mom in our neighborhood library. I would say 70% of the women I see with their children in the library are foreign and they're usually huddled up with their friends and are speaking in their native language. Whenever I do find work, I'm worried about putting my daughter in daycare because the kids that I see when I'm out and about, behave so poorly. I'm not talking about bad tantrums..I'm talking about running wild and bad manners. It doesn't get much better with the school aged kids either. I've had kids almost step on my feet, or knock me down without so much of an "excuse me". The drivers are terrible and there just seems to be a sense of entitlement that people have. People have no sense of personal space. I've had people reach over me or cross in front of me as if I'm invisible. We have yet to find any type of nightlife or entertainment. It would be nice to have someplace to enjoy ourselves without having to drive to Miami. The wages are extremely LOW. If it weren't for my husband killing himself by teaching a extra class (7 total, which means NO PREP), we would barely make rent every month. I recently had a interview that went well, but I was offered $25 a hour. I haven't made such little money since I first graduated nursing school 4 years ago!!! I've got my BSN and left a job making $38 an hour to move here. When you combine all of this with heat, humidity, and rain, which wreaks havoc on my hair (I am a black woman), lack of hospitality, no sense of community, I am ready to bail and go to California before our lease is even up. My husband won't admit it but south Florida is nothing like what he thought it would be. He is the most friendly, social and down to earth person and he hasn't even made one single friend or connection here yet. Please tell me there are some small pockets of south Florida where folks are sociable and where there is some sort of nightlife outside of Miami and south beach. We are starting to feel pretty hopeless.

Well, I sure hope you're making your plans to leave, then. Life is too short to live where you hate being so much. Hope you find your Utopia.

Oh, and just for the record. Florida's humidity does a number on everyone's hair, regardless of their race or ethnicity, whether their hair is straight, or curly. It makes my hair flat as a pancake and eradicates any evidence of a curl or wave, or even body that I try to put in it. Keeping it short and layered mitigates the effect, somewhat, so for me that is what goes.

Old 10-23-2016, 11:34 AM

1,007 posts, read 631,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I just want to point out that there is a good chance that those 'foreign' women are probably American born.

Many first generation South Florida natives first language is not English. Even second generation.
FYI - that's NOT something to brag about.

Old 10-23-2016, 12:05 PM

1,007 posts, read 631,016 times
Quote:
Thanks for all your comments and advice, both snarky and actually helpful. Its obvious that there are unsavory people everywhere, but the point that I was trying to make is that both my experiences, as well as my husband's have been somewhat disappointing. We have explored multiple areas and neighborhoods (beaches, food truck events, parks etc) and it's pretty much the same thing (clicky, and alienating).

As far as employment, I have no reason to embellish my experience. My background is in behavioral health and the NICU..I have had ZERO luck in finding day shift work. I don't know what other's experience has been, but I have had no luck thus far. Granted, there will always be things that you miss about home, but trust me, my feelings aren't a symptom of being homesick. We live in a beautiful neighborhood with plenty to do as far as my daughter is concerned, and people who work in retail and restaurants are all polite and friendly but the buck seems to stop there. South Florida is easy on the eyes but so far it seems to lack substance and a sense of community.

We have visited California ( San Diego, and Los Angeles) and we both loved it..especially San Diego. I think my husband's biggest fear was the cost of living. Now that we're here in Fl, I think my husband is realizing that you get what you pay for. Southern California is known for being expensive but there was just a lot more to do and has more to offer as far as employment/salary, entertainment, and vibe/culture.

I'm no expert on either location, however, I think some people who take offense to any negative criticism of South Fl or Florida in general may not take in consideration how a transplant may have a different outlook than a Florida native. I lived in Philadelphia my entire life and I couldn't wait to leave the concrete jungle, but I was able to identify and understand the appeal that the Philadelphia has to transplant.
That's because you're a very intelligent, insightful woman. Good luck trying to meet someone who thinks and projects like you in South Florida!

For the most part, people in South Florida are generally simple and lowbrow, and they have a tendency to avoid enterprising conversations and scoff at anything remotely intellectual.

That's due to the fact that most people down there do not have more than a high school diploma and originate from cultures in which there's more emphasis on being "tough" and having "street smarts" than being educated, worldly and articulate.

The biggest offenders in this regard are the working-class transplants from the Northeast and those from poor Caribbean and Latin American cultures. After you account for those groups, there isn't much left over.

Yeah, there are some natives, but most are under the age of 25. Those that aren't tend to be poor whites and blacks.

I lived in South Florida for years and was only lucky enough to make one good friend. I've only lived in Southern California for a little over two years and have made more good friends than I can count, so to say "it's the person, not the place" is extremely disingenuous, IMO.

Moderator cut: Inappropriate comments

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 10-28-2016 at 08:42 AM..

Old 10-23-2016, 12:12 PM

22 posts, read 13,999 times
Thanks for the breakdown! I know for a fact nurses do well in Cali..and my husband is less here than he would of made back home in Philadelphia. Health insurance at his job is just not an option for me or my daughter to be added on. We're talking $1000 a month for adding ONE dependent. Groceries prices were a sticker shop once I stepped into Publix but I quickly learned how find cheaper alternatives ( Walmart, Winn Dixie and the meat markets), but some things you can't get around. Health insurance premiums, homeowners, car insurance etc.

We're paying about $1650 a month with utilities on his income alone so the cost of living in Cali doesn't scare me if we're both employed. We don't drive fancy cars or are materialistic so I know we'll be able to live comfortably in SoCal.

Old 10-23-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
Having just moved from the West Palm Beach Area to the San Diego Area, I can tell you that my expenses dropped substantially, so the whole "cost of living" thing is purely subjective on what you can earn in relation to there.

-Utilities

Unlike FL, my power bill is cut in half to a third thanks in part to the A/C not running all the time.

-Car Insurance

Was paying over $300/month with Geico for 2 cars, safe drivers, excellent credit, no accidents. Every 6 months the cost increased, when I called Geico and asked why, they said SoFla has a lot of uninsured drivers and fraud, did not surprise me, have you had your credit/debit card skimmed yet? I had mine skimmed around 7 times with fraudulent charges in excess of $3,000.00 on one.

Since moving here the bill is now $80 a month for both cars and the same coverage, so that's a substantial savings.

-Medical Insurance

Not Obamacare, but company provided insurance, was a 50% reduction in monthly co-pays and with my old employer in SoFla every year the cost increased substantially. We were flat out told by the Plan Administrator, that due to the fraud and senior age population, that the cost of health insurance was much higher than say other areas of the country.

-Home Owner Costs (if you want to buy a house)

SoFla, very high property taxes, insurance costs (think Hurricanes) and while HOA fees exist all over, it's very prevalent in SoFla and/or if you desire that type of living.

Here, house prices are high but it's dependent on where and how close to the coast you are, further inland places are more affordable.

-Car ownership

Registration fees are higher here than FL, it's very complicated and based on the age/value of the car. I saw an increase over Palm Beach County, but it was less than what I paid in Car Insurance per month there. Also this cost decreases every year.

Gas prices are higher here, but that's due to CA clean air mandates.

Why gas prices in California are so high - Feb. 9, 2016

-Sales Tax

Varies area to area, it is higher here than in SoFla but Palm Beach County is proposing a 1% increase to 7% on the ballot for voters to decide, so that could change. Seems not too many people worry about it here.

-Food prices

I don't see much difference in cost, but it just depends where you shop. There is no Publix type of monopoly here, since I'm from PA too originally the amount of competition here reminds me of how things were in PA, Acme, Weis, Wegmans, Giant and etc., I shop around and know where to go, some stores are overpriced, I prefer Ralphs and Gelsons to Vons, but you can still shop at Wal-Mart and Target here and prices are the same as they were in FL.

For me personally, the career opportunities here were better so I made the move, this may not be the same for others as it wasn't for me in FL. We were content with the positives in SoFla even with the negatives but the job is what funds the machine and it was not working anymore. At that point, we made a decision to not let the material things dictate our decision to leave.

All I can say is do your homework, do not move here without a good job lined up and also with research telling you there is other opportunity to fall back on, if it does not work out.
Thanks for the breakdown, it was very much apprecitated

Old 10-23-2016, 12:22 PM

Again thanks for the comments and input, especially the negative ones. You have proven my point. I guess it's true that a hit dog will holler.

Old 10-23-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
I gotta ask what made you move to FL in the 1st place, what was the attraction? As you can see most of the Floridians here are very sensitive towards any form of criticism of their beloved state for reasons unbeknown to me they take it personally. It's true no matter where you move you'll find the good, the bad, & the ugly therefore you shouldn't over expect. Florida is the playground of the east coast that's why their tourism is so great since there's much to do there vs states like where I live which is Delaware that I refer to as a "hick" state, & while the cost of living is great, no sales tax, & real estate taxes are low here when we want real entertainment we have to go to the very city you fled from, Phila. My point is you'll always find positives & negatives no matter where you live. I already knew I couldn't be happy in FL cause the heat & humidity would make me miserable yet it's a great place to vacation if you visit during the winter months. If you're seriously planning to relocate again do as others have suggested by researching 1st, go into the CA forum & ask questions & read the threads there, in other words "always look before you leap". Good luck.
We moved here because my husband got a job offer down here. He didn't have any teaching experience which made the pickings slim. But the 2 major things were that he was tired of winters in Philly, which seemed to be getting longer and longer, and he wanted to be a short plane ride away from my stepson. I kind of predicted that after a few trips to the beach, that the allure would wear off. Don't get me wrong, the beaches are beautiful but you still need other things to do out side of the beach. And the thought of traveling to overpriced south beach every weekend for some type of night life is just ridiculous. Pretty beaches and manicured lawns is just does not offset things like boredom, low paying jobs, terrible weather, and high insurance cost.

Old 10-23-2016, 01:19 PM

1,342 posts, read 1,385,985 times
Try to find a restaurant or bar that follows (shows on TV) Philly sports teams. It will likely be a place where you can find other Philly expats and you will have automatic bonds with them. These will be the easiest folks to start making friends with.

Since you lived in Philly all your life, you may be experiencing culture shock. Some of it can be related to the locals doing things differently and you not adapting to how things are done in Florida, some may be related to how the locals view folks from Philly (when I lived out west - folks from the east coast seemed like obnoxious a-*****) and some of it is related to lack of time in the area - you had your whole life to make friends and figure out what you like to do in Philly and have only been in Florida a short time. Try making friends with other Philly expats and expand your group from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or