U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 01:29 PM

786 posts, read 497,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
Try to find a restaurant or bar that follows (shows on TV) Philly sports teams. It will likely be a place where you can find other Philly expats and you will have automatic bonds with them. These will be the easiest folks to start making friends with.
In SoFla you'd have to be a Yankees or Giants fan to make that work, then toss in the Mets and Jets as well, best you can do with Philly is one of the various Philly Cheesesteak places around. SoFla is the sixth borough of NY.

Sixth Borough CBS Miami
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2016, 02:28 PM

12,135 posts, read 13,272,176 times
And that ladies and gentlemen is the way it is...............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Others of us have moved here and gotten along just fine and made Florida our home. 1st you have to be willing to do that. If someone complains about it not being like home to them it never will be. You have to adjust many things to get past what you did and didn't have somewhere else. We only get one life and it is up to us to make the best of it and not to rely on someone else making it or breaking it for you.

To the OP.......your husband is a teacher and has made no friends at his school? Why not? Teacher's become instant friends with other teachers in their school most of the time because of the common bond with the kids. Need to start making friends there with the other young teachers and their wives. Throw a party and invite all the teachers and get to know them. Shoot throw lots of BYOB parties if it is hard to afford paying it all yourself. Tell him to invite people he knows to watch football, basketball etc. at your house.
2. You have a child and are a stay at home mom now which makes it harder to meet people. Get out to the parks, get the child into preschool activities. Join clubs, take yoga/gymnastics or other lessons you can do together or apart and get to know a few parents through that.
3. Accept that your starting pay will not be the same as you made in Boston but it will go so much farther. No $400 gas bills plus $300 electric bills to heat your house down here. If you do well, you will get raises. $25 was low balling, though but would give you a foot in the door. Employers like to hire people who are already working because it shows whether you are a hard worker or not.
4. I know you are locked in for a year with his teacher contract, so you have to make the best of it. Instead of waking up and saying I hate it here. Wake up and say I am going to find something to love about our new life. Find a good day care that you can leave the little one so you and your husband can get out together. Going from working to being a stay at home mom is a life change you are not used to either. It gets old fast unless you can get out sometimes. Been there done that Find something you can get involved in. Volunteer in the community, the school, the town. Volunteer to work in the high school food stand at ball games. Guarantee you will meet people. Join in community planning committees and volunteer for festivals, at museums, theaters etc.
5. Hope life improves for you down here, but if it doesn't good luck elsewhere.
6 One other thought.......other people you see are in the same boat......don't be afraid to be the first to speak because they may just be too shy to. Personally I think people here respond to a smile, a hi how ya doing? better than when I lived up North, but then even my boss is amazed at my gift of gab and that I can talk and draw them out to make sometimes not so great experience that they can walk away from smiling. Be real and people are real with you.

Old 10-23-2016, 03:01 PM

786 posts, read 497,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MirandaHobbs View Post
Again thanks for the comments and input, especially the negative ones. You have proven my point. I guess it's true that a hit dog will holler.
Also, you may want to change , "Florida" to South Florida in your title, because that's where you live and are defining. Some comments on here are not applicable or accurate descriptions to SoFla at all, ignorance is bliss.

Old 10-23-2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MirandaHobbs View Post
Again thanks for the comments and input, especially the negative ones. You have proven my point. I guess it's true that a hit dog will holler.
Yes, but you are the complainant so it is you who is the bitten.

Old 10-23-2016, 03:15 PM

2,233 posts, read 1,515,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
That's because you're a very intelligent, insightful woman. Good luck trying to meet someone who thinks and projects like you in South Florida!

For the most part, people in South Florida are generally simple and lowbrow, and they have a tendency to avoid enterprising conversations and scoff at anything remotely intellectual.

That's due to the fact that most people down there do not have more than a high school diploma and originate from cultures in which there's more emphasis on being "tough" and having "street smarts" than being educated, worldly and articulate.

The biggest offenders in this regard are the working-class transplants from the Northeast and those from poor Caribbean and Latin American cultures. After you account for those groups, there isn't much left over.

Yeah, there are some natives, but most are under the age of 25. Those that aren't tend to be poor whites and blacks.

I lived in South Florida for years and was only lucky enough to make one good friend. I've only lived in Southern California for a little over two years and have made more good friends than I can count, so to say "it's the person, not the place" is extremely disingenuous, IMO.

Moderator cut: Inappropriate comments
Get out of here 8to32characters. Your going to get yourself banned again.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 10-28-2016 at 08:43 AM..

Old 10-23-2016, 03:20 PM

15,469 posts, read 12,176,995 times
Church group?
Make some friends there?

$25 an hr is so much better than $0 an hr.

Good luck...I agree on the need of paragraphs..I made it thru most of it, tho.

Old 10-23-2016, 04:47 PM

9,772 posts, read 7,057,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
That's because you're a very intelligent, insightful woman. Good luck trying to meet someone who thinks and projects like you in South Florida!

For the most part, people in South Florida are generally simple and lowbrow, and they have a tendency to avoid enterprising conversations and scoff at anything remotely intellectual.

That's due to the fact that most people down there do not have more than a high school diploma and originate from cultures in which there's more emphasis on being "tough" and having "street smarts" than being educated, worldly and articulate.

The biggest offenders in this regard are the working-class transplants from the Northeast and those from poor Caribbean and Latin American cultures. After you account for those groups, there isn't much left over.

Yeah, there are some natives, but most are under the age of 25. Those that aren't tend to be poor whites and blacks.

I lived in South Florida for years and was only lucky enough to make one good friend. I've only lived in Southern California for a little over two years and have made more good friends than I can count, so to say "it's the person, not the place" is extremely disingenuous, IMO.

Moderator cut: Inappropriate comments

Boy, that's some broad brush you're using to paint the majority ( I did note you used a semi-disclaimer, "for the most part") of the Floridian population, and based on your obviously limited experience living in the Sunshine State, your generalizations are bordering on the ridiculous. What, you lived in Boca Raton for two years and that makes you an expert on all things Florida???

I've lived, worked, raised a family and retired in Florida-moved here in 1976 after I completed an MS degree, and have worked and traveled to most parts of the state, and can assure you that Boca, but considering it's populated (along with Delray and Boynton Beaches) mostly with retired/otherwise transplanted NYers, too many of whom brought their overgrown senses of entitlement, self-absorption, and superiority complexes with them, is NOT typical of Florida as a whole. Historically, NYers who considered retiring to Palm Beach County as having "made it" tended to congregate there, as the place to be and be seen.

When I had to work in Boca, I found the attitudes of the working folks I met (this would have been in doctors' offices and other
healthcare facilities)to be the most welcoming, nicest and accomodating anyone would ever want, but the attitudes and demeanors of the NY transplanted retirees anything but. Shoot, these folks even went after each other! As many times as I visited there, things were never any different in this regard.

So when it came time to decide where we wanted to retire, we knew we wanted to stay in FL but I told my husband I would rather shoot myself than to retire anywhere in Palm Beach County, especially Boca/Delray/Boynton Beach, and we found the west coast of Florida much more to our liking. The people are welcoming and friendly, and we find a lot to keep us as busy as we want to be here. The only thing is that we're starting to see an influx of some of those folks who we think must have been
headed to Boca from the northeast and got lost. You can tell by the license plates and the attitudes, and the fact that they aren't bashful in letting us longtimers know how backwards everything is here and how dumb we all are.

Now, as to your last sentence. You're really blaming the attitudes of these transplants on the local residents not making them feel welcome????? If that is the case, I think that's got to be the funniest thing I have heard all week.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 10-28-2016 at 08:44 AM..

Old 10-23-2016, 05:18 PM

Many people with limited knowledge actually believe that they have all the answers. They know all there is to know when they have barely any experience in the subject. Then they have the chutzpah to say someone with knowledge is wrong. There is a Yiddish work for that too. S c h m u c k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Boy, that's some broad brush you're using to paint the majority ( I did note you used a semi-disclaimer, "for the most part") of the Floridian population, and based on your obviously limited experience living in the Sunshine State, your generalizations are bordering on the ridiculous. What, you lived in Boca Raton for two years and that makes you an expert on all things Florida???

I've lived, worked, raised a family and retired in Florida-moved here in 1976 after I completed an MS degree, and have worked and traveled to most parts of the state, and can assure you that Boca, but considering it's populated (along with Delray and Boynton Beaches) mostly with retired/otherwise transplanted NYers, too many of whom brought their overgrown senses of entitlement, self-absorption, and superiority complexes with them, is NOT typical of Florida as a whole. Historically, NYers who considered retiring to Palm Beach County as having "made it" tended to congregate there, as the place to be and be seen.

When I had to work in Boca, I found the attitudes of the working folks I met (this would have been in doctors' offices and other
healthcare facilities)to be the most welcoming, nicest and accomodating anyone would ever want, but the attitudes and demeanors of the NY transplanted retirees anything but. Shoot, these folks even went after each other! As many times as I visited there, things were never any different in this regard.

So when it came time to decide where we wanted to retire, we knew we wanted to stay in FL but I told my husband I would rather shoot myself than to retire anywhere in Palm Beach County, especially Boca/Delray/Boynton Beach, and we found the west coast of Florida much more to our liking. The people are welcoming and friendly, and we find a lot to keep us as busy as we want to be here. The only thing is that we're starting to see an influx of some of those folks who we think must have been
headed to Boca from the northeast and got lost. You can tell by the license plates and the attitudes, and the fact that they aren't bashful in letting us longtimers know how backwards everything is here and how dumb we all are.

Now, as to your last sentence. You're really blaming the attitudes of these transplants on the local residents not making them feel welcome????? If that is the case, I think that's got to be the funniest thing I have heard all week.

Old 10-23-2016, 06:26 PM

1,072 posts, read 636,661 times
OP..close your eyes, click your heels three times and POOF, you're back in Philly......where they shoot first and rob later..

Old 10-23-2016, 07:46 PM

10,575 posts, read 10,869,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post

For me personally, the career opportunities here were better so I made the move, this may not be the same for others as it wasn't for me in FL. We were content with the positives in SoFla even with the negatives but the job is what funds the machine and it was not working anymore. At that point, we made a decision to not let the material things dictate our decision to leave.

All I can say is do your homework, do not move here without a good job lined up and also with research telling you there is other opportunity to fall back on, if it does not work out.
Care to mention the other important taxes you left out, like California's sky high property and income taxes? FL has no income tax
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or